Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2827 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2008 6:53 PM by LuLuMonkey
NoviceRunner Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2007 11:10 AM

Avid Runner and strict dieter...

I've been running since 2002 and have achieved my goal of being able to sustain a 6.0 mile pace for about 60 minutes.  Recently, I've been using a novice training schedule for a half marathon in October by working up to running 3 miles and then walking for a couple minutes and drinking water, then running 3 more miles.  I would do this 4 times to simulate the half marathon.  I've been seeing results and also pain in my hips and knees.  When I take a rest from this by cross training or stretching, I can really tell that my body wants to run and I feel fat when I don't run one day.  Also, with all this running I'm doing, I am still a "heavy" runner, but I can run my pants off and still beat the thinner runners and not be as out of breath than them.  I stretch, lift weights do sit ups and crunches, and I 'm toned, but I'm still heavier looking than most.  I am on a raw diet and do not deter from it either.  How can I get my body shape to catch up with my fitness level and I don't feel like I look like a thin woman caught in a fat suit?  I'm short and muscular, but I'd like to be thin.

• mlines109 Amateur 42 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 26, 2007 6:32 PM (in response to NoviceRunner)
    Re: Avid Runner and strict dieter...

Why do you want to change it sounds like your in awesome shape!! And hey if you can kick any skinny girls *** why do you want to be like them. Also if you do try to get thinner your body might not adjust to a weight loss all that well and then the skinny girls will be kicking your but. That would mean your awesome times will go toshit because your body cant function at that weight level. You need to learn to love yourself and be happy that your fit and an awesome runner!

• RobRunner Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 24, 2007
    2. Jul 26, 2007 8:46 PM (in response to NoviceRunner)

If you are beating most of the skinny girls don't worry about it.  I am a pretty muscular male and my boys, both runners too say I look like a bull among gazelles (they are both thin).  I thought I needed to lose more than the 20 lbs. I lost when I started running for medals last year.  When I lost more than I already had, my times went down.  If you journal your times and weight you just might find your optimum running weight.

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007
    3. Jul 26, 2007 9:14 PM (in response to NoviceRunner)

You are healthy, toned, and fit....stop beating yourself up.  Do you really want to look like Nicole Ritchie?  Keep up the good work and being a positive role model.  : )

• runcoloradogirl Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    4. Aug 8, 2007 2:32 PM (in response to NoviceRunner)

You go girl! Stay the way you are. You sound like you have got what it takes to be a great runner. You definately don't need to lose weight and try to look thin. You might just be the envy of many other runners. I think it's great that you are passing the thinner runners!  Keep up the great work. You should appreciate the person and the runner that you are. Keep on runnin!

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Aug 15, 2007 1:49 PM (in response to NoviceRunner)

If you are having knee/hip/ankle/etc. pain, I suggest cross training with an elliptical machine.  You can get an amazing workout that is fairly similar to running (assuming you push yourself hard enough; go for quick strides over high resistance) yet doesn't stress you joints.  You can also try using the machine in reverse to build opposite muscle groups.

• RunnerStephanie Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 6, 2007
    6. Sep 19, 2007 7:48 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Don't worry about the size of the other runners.  If you check out my blog I am faced with a somewhat similar issue.  Although I am by most definitions "thin" I am definitely not built like a runner.

You know what?  Who cares?  I almost always win my age group and can beat the pants off of the thinner girls!  Looking thin isn't as important as being physically fit.

As for your pain try aqua running.  It is one of my favorite things to do when I am really sore.  You just run in the pool.  You'd be surprised how challenging it really is.  If you were scheduled to run 6 miles that day, and that would take you say 50:00 you use that 50:00 to aqua jog.  Although the distance won't translate perfectly, you are still getting in a good workout.

Hope that helps!

• LuLuMonkey Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 15, 2008
    7. Jul 28, 2008 6:53 PM (in response to NoviceRunner)

You sound like you are in fabulous shape!  Sounds like you container is just a different size!  I'm in the same boat.  I'm bigger than most of the runners and cyclists I encounter.  It used to drive me nuts and I dieted and worked like a dog hoping to have the bod they did.  Then one day it hit me...my container is just not meant to look like that.  Just the way it goes.  Be happy, healthy and proud of your wonderful accomplishments!  Keep up the super work!

-Lulu

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...