Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4620 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2007 1:42 PM by itri
Susquehanna_79 Amateur 10 posts since
Jul 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2007 11:48 AM

Triathlon Wear

I'm struggling to choose what to wear during my triathlon.  I don't have a big budget, so I'm considering a one-piece swimsuit . . . and not a padded tri-suit.   

Has anyone done a tri in a swimsuit?  I rode my bike for a while on my trainer in a swimsuit.  My butt was fine w/o padding (not saddle sore) but my sweat soaked all the way down the suit.  It felt v e r y weird. 

I know TYR and Speedo make multi-sport swimsuits that dry quickly and breathe well. 

What do you think?

• DenverTriGirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    1. Jul 17, 2007 1:09 PM (in response to Susquehanna_79)
    Re: Triathlon Wear

I did a tri last weekend in short padded bike shorts and a sports bra.  Even though I'm large chested, I still felt really comfortable and supported (which most swimming suits don't provide).  I threw on a shirt after the swim and everything dried out quickly.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jul 20, 2007 9:18 AM (in response to Susquehanna_79)
    Re: Chest Support & the 'Murph Factor'

trisuits have a small cushion that won't feel like a soggy diaper on the run. you can do a tri in swimsuit but depending on how long the bike is - it could hurt w/o padding.  also look gel seat covers for the bike seat for more cushioning.  not any first hand knowledge but have hard of women wearing sprots bra's in lieu of a top or in addition to a top. some brands at titanwear.com, desoto zoot (zootsports.com I  think) Title IX and possibly iron girl some online places may have deals but check your local tri/bike shop to see which one fits you best.  also i think chucksbikes.com has some really cheap closeouts but can't vouch for them.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007
    4. Aug 2, 2007 1:03 PM (in response to Susquehanna_79)

I wear desoto lo rise tri shorts, and a nike swim suit top.  The top is more the style of a sports bra rather than a regular triangle top and provides me with ample support. I am a C cup.  The tri shorts are much more comfortable and lightweight than bike shorts. They also dry very quickly.

• T3charlie Community Moderator 79 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Aug 2, 2007 3:45 PM (in response to Susquehanna_79)

Keep in mind that you can't disperse water or sweat on a trainer - the only place for it to go is straight down (thanks, gravity!). This will be very different on the road as the wind and "mobile" environment will help dry you quickly. I would think, for this reason, that a swimsuit would work just fine. Do a little research and you'll likely find that any manufacturer's products are the same material whether swim suit or tri suit (they'll all be some lycra combination).  If you're comfortable running in the suit you have, save your money and go for it. Good luck! Xraytriguy

• runnerark Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 12, 2007
    6. Oct 12, 2007 10:20 AM (in response to Susquehanna_79)

My question is along these lines.... I am definitely committed to wearing a tri suit for my first half iron (Eagleman '08), especially since it's in June and I don't want to deal with clothing changes in transitions.  HOWEVER, though I'm pretty small elsewhere, I have issues in my... um, middle.  The one place I can never lose weight.  I know you all are going to tell me to do situps/ ab work.  I'm actually hoping that if I watch my diet, in the upcoming 8 mos. of tri-sport training some of that will go away (esp. since I'm not used to swimming & biking)..... one of those sports bras with the padded shorts seems best for this weather, but I'll will literally clear the field if I wore that (think.... things jiggling... oh, gross!).  People would run screaming for the hills (at least I'd have a chance at winning then!).  Any suggestions on more "modest" tri gear that won't leave me much hotter than I need to be?

• itri Expert 48 posts since
    Sep 13, 2007
    7. Oct 19, 2007 1:42 PM (in response to runnerark)

I have friends that just throw a light weight singlet on over their sports bra (after the swim, it will balloon out and get annoying to swim in)  Good luck at your first half!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points