Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7609 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2009 3:13 PM by DJ Dave N RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
marp Amateur 15 posts since
Jul 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2007 1:48 PM

Your first 5k

Howdy again,
A question. Do you remember your first 5k?
I'm wondering how your confidence level was....did you know you would finish or did ya think "gee...what am I doing?"

marp
(struggling, but not giving up)

• HDH Amateur 332 posts since
    Aug 19, 2007
    1. Jul 26, 2007 1:55 PM (in response to marp)
    Re: Your first 5k

Of course, you always remember your first!!!

I knew I would finish

----

hdh[/URL" target="_blank">

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 23, 2007 4:39 AM (in response to marp)

.......easy enough ( since I've only run TWO )

........I had been racing for several years back then, they hosted a 5-K and it was such a Freak Distance, we all signed up for it.......(in the 70's and 80's the races were 10-K or Marathon)

........then we had to beat a TRAIN accross the road about a mile from the start,,,,,,,,the Middle of the Pack got stranded, so I thought I had at least 3rd Place sewed up,
    NOT,,,,,,never even saw the rabbits that beat me out of it......

.......ran a 22-something........

...(and thought I was Greased Lightning)......

[

[http://This message has been edited by tomwhite (edited Jul-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by tomwhite (edited Jul-26-2007).]

• rosecoloredglasses Legend 849 posts since
    Aug 12, 2005
    3. Jul 26, 2007 2:11 PM (in response to marp)

Oh darn.
    I do not remember my first 5K.

I hardly remember my first marathon.

I do remember what I had for breakfast, though.

Marp,
    Welcome to the B&B.
    You will finish.
    And here's something to use as a mantra...

"Quitting is not an option"
    (Thank you Tim Looney, Western States Finisher)

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    4. Jul 26, 2007 2:19 PM (in response to marp)

quote:

Originally posted by tomwhite:

.......ran a 22-something........

...(and thought I was Greased Lightning)...

With good cause... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I knew I would finish my first 5K because I was already running longer than that, but what surprised me was that, slow as I was, there were lots of people even slower (of course, most of them were walking, but still....).

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• Nordic Berserker Pro 189 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 26, 2007 2:31 PM (in response to marp)

I remember it fairly well, even though it was almost 30 years ago.

I was a college sophomore, who had moved up from the 880 yard and mile from the previous year. I had planned to be a miler, but at the end of indoor had run a couple of pretty good 2 mile races, so they made me into a 5000 runner.

Our first outdoor meet that year was at Central College in Pella, IA. It was cloudy, cool, and blustery. I had no clue what I was doing, and unfortunately neither did the coach who told me to run the same pace as my 2 mile. Went out in 5:00 for the first mile, right behind the leaders, and faded with something like a 5:20 and 5:30, to finish in 16:31. Actually, not a bad debut, but at the time everybody (coach & teamates) said it was pretty poor.

It took another 5 or 6 years to really get to know how to work the 5k, which to this day I think is one of the toughest distances to do well.

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    6. Jul 26, 2007 2:52 PM (in response to marp)

Ah, I remember my first 5K quite fondly.  (is it bad to say that I actually remember more about this then I do the first time I had sex?? )

I ran for a little over one year when I was 30/31. My co-worker was planning on running Seattle's St. Patrick's Day Run and asked if I'd like to run with her (I had recently split up with my ex and was working out alot, but not running . . . I think she felt sorry for me so wanted to get me out there amongst the masses and do something fun). I said "sure" - BUT, I had never run, so decided 4 wks before the run to start running on the TM at the gym. I could do 2-3 min at first. that's it. I got up to being able to run about 2 miles before the St. Patty's Day Dash and told my friend that I'd likely take a break to walk about half way through and not to wait for me.

Well, imagine my surprise when we are running towards the King Street area of the Alaskan Way viaduct in Seattle (seattle-ites will know where I'm talking about) and she tells me we are close to the finish!  I ran the whole thing w/o stopping and had a blast doing it! I think my time was around 37 min, but I could have cared less - I'd been bitten by the bug and couldn't wait to do more!

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 26, 2007 3:13 PM (in response to marp)

quote:

Originally posted by TammyM:

Ah, I remember my first 5K quite fondly. (is it bad to say that I actually remember more about this then I do the first time I had sex?? ) !

........if the Person you had it with reads this, ,,,,,Yes.........

• enkephalin Legend 243 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jul 26, 2007 3:42 PM (in response to marp)

It was a long time ago.  My supervisor in grad school was a marathon runner.  I was not a runner and biking to school was pretty much my only exercise.  He roped a bunch of us into doing it.  It might have been a Terry Fox run, so lots of expectations to join and raise money for cancer research (we did basic research).

Anyway, my hubby and I ran together, and a few memories stand out - having to walk up a huge hill, getting passed by a mentally & physically handicapped runner, and finishing around the same time as the 10K runners. I remember being absolutely astounded that one of my husband's co-workers could run a 5 K in 25 minutes. I thought that was ridiculously fast. And a female co-worker (who ran cross-country in college) finished her 10 K in about 45 minutes. I felt way out of my league, thanks boss!

He also roped me into the 2 to 3 am slot in a 24 hr relay. I am not a night owl and could barely stay awake to go to the relay. It was around a track, monotonous, in the dark, in the pouring rain, and I had to run for an hour. I must have done a lot of walking!

So, not being impressed with this whole running thing, I didn't really do anymore of it for 17 years.

I am still waiting to run my first "real" 5 K as a new-born runner. I used to think my boss and others like him (that ran marathons) as obsessive compulsive types that I could never relate to. Running seemed like the ultimate in a boring painful existence that you could inflict upon yourself. What I didn't yet know about was the endorphins...., or that if you take it slow enough, it is not painful but quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Anyway, I am hoping to run my first "real" 5K around 26-27 minutes. I can't believe I thought 25 minutes was lightening fast for a wiry, fit 26 year old man years ago. I had no clue.

So, I guess this time my confidence level will be high, however, I always still think "gee...what am I doing?" when I see the front row runners run. But it doesn't matter, even in that first primordial 5K, I was out doing something and challenging myself and being a part of the larger human spirit that pervades these events.

Best of Luck!

• runrgrl1 Pro 225 posts since
    May 16, 2002
    9. Jul 26, 2007 5:22 PM (in response to marp)

I remember. It was in '96, about 2 months after I re-ignited my running love affair. I hadn't run much since high school in the late 70's; getting married and having 2 kids took over my life for about 17 years. I ran it in about 22 minutes, came in second in my age group and that was all it took to fire up my competive side. I recall it was pure and utter hell, too, so not quite sure why I ever wanted to do it again.

----

"It's never too late to be what you might have been."

• millbot Legend 635 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jul 27, 2007 10:05 AM (in response to marp)

My first was 17 years ago (I think).  I was sure I would finish, until about half way through the race.  I finished in 29:xx.  I still ask myself what I am doing every time I race.

Hang in there. 

• sheriebaby Pro 215 posts since
    Dec 1, 2006
    11. Jul 27, 2007 10:25 AM (in response to marp)

A girlfriend started running and looked great, so I asked her what her secret was.. she said RUNNING.  So, I followed in her footsteps.  I remember CLEARLY the first time I ran 1 mile without stopping, I was estatic!  That feeling alone kept me wanting more (I started running just a block at a time, reaching 1 mile was huge).  She signed up for a 5K and asked if I wanted to do it with her.  I wasn't up to 3 miles yet, but I said OK.  I remember walking much of the course but people were still at the finish line when I crossed at around 48 minutes.  I felt good for finishing and bad for not being able to run the entire distance, so I kept training so I could finish a 5K without stopping.  I did a lot of 5K's and 10K's with her for a few years, I had a blast with her.  Unfortuantely, we are no longer friends, I do miss her.

• mrpat007 Pro 236 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    12. Jul 27, 2007 12:25 PM (in response to marp)

I ran my first 5k at age 57 about 4 1/2 years ago, I had only been running for 2 months as a way to stay fit after losing 70 pounds. Time was 23:51.

• fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
    Aug 21, 2002
    13. Jul 27, 2007 1:19 PM (in response to marp)

My first race ever was 3 miles @ 5:40. - 2nd place and I was hooked.

• spankee Legend 414 posts since
    Nov 4, 2005
    14. Jul 27, 2007 1:43 PM (in response to marp)

I remember my first marathon: 1979, 20 years old, free beer at the finish, I haaaaad to finish.  J'ai fini et Je suis fini.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...