Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1263 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2007 6:12 PM by CostaRicanRunner
KimS Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 20, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 20, 2007 12:22 PM

HELP!

Help!  I need motivation - I'm running in the Nike Women's Marathon & raising money for leukemia in memory of my dad.  Should be motivation enough - huh?  Since he died 8/9 I have hardly any motivation.  Any suggestions - I hate feeling like this!

• E_B Amateur 13 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Aug 20, 2007 2:31 PM (in response to KimS)
    Re: HELP!

Hi KimS, don't be too down on yourself for not feeling motivated.  This is a normal response to grief..and when we try to process so many feelings and emotions...it can really zap us of our energy.

Try starting with small goals of just getting out the door and walking/jogging.  Exercise has been shown to fight depression and boost mood, so the marathon you are doing in honor of your Dad may be also be a journey to help deal with his loss. Try to do a little more day after day, even if it is a big decrease from what you were doing before.  Tracking this on a calendar often helps.

People deal with grief in all sorts of ways - I tend to want to be with people rather than alone. If you are like this too, there are many running groups that train for marathons together.  You can look these up on Active or the Internet.

I wish you the best! You can do it!

• irungrl Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    2. Aug 20, 2007 4:45 PM (in response to KimS)

Hi KimS.   "Every journey begins with a single step"  and sometimes the first step is the most difficult one to take. What you are doing is great! I am sure   Your father would be very proud. I have been involved with TNT for years as a mentor, team captain, and volunteer raising funds for the cause. Do you have a mentor with your group or TNT support staff? TNT is set up for motivation as well as ideas and support to get you to your fund raising goals. You may want to check into the resources avail. to you in your chapter. Best of luck to you......YOU CAN DO 26.2!!!! Happy Running!

• carolcrc1 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 23, 2007
    3. Aug 21, 2007 4:55 AM (in response to KimS)

Your story hit home for me, as my Dad passed in June and I'm still struggling to stay motivated.  It hasn't even been two weeks yet for you, so give yourself some time.  It will get better, albeit slowly. 

You say you "should feel motivated" because you are running this race in your Dad's honor.  I'm sure some days that is a huge motivation, and other days you'll feel that it doesn't matter - in fact that nothing matters much at all.  As far as I can tell, that is a totally normal part of the grieving experience and you'll just work through it as it comes. 

If you can make yourself run, even when not feeling motivated, the natural exercise mood-lift effect will be helpful.  But it takes time and you will have dark days off and on for a long time.  I hope you find your balance soon and feel better, but - some things in life are just hard.

• CostaRicanRunner Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 29, 2007
    4. Aug 29, 2007 6:12 PM (in response to KimS)

Hey there, I know exactly how you feel. My Dad was rushed to the hospital just after I signed up with the luekemia and lymphoma society's hike for discovery program. You raise money (4200.00 to be exact) and hike the Grand Canyon. That was in January 07. He passed away in March of 07, and all my fundraising had to be completed by the 2nd week of May. Talk about lack of motivation. The hike was in June of this year, and I'm pleased to say that I raised close to 6000 dollars. Use this opportunity to give hope to the people that are still with us. Do it in honor of your father's memory. Make a website with pics that can celebrate his life and the person that he was. I know my father would have wanted me to kick butt and raise as much money as I could. I'm sure your father would want the same. Take care of yourself during this time and always look ahead. It will get easier.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...