Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6802 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2008 10:06 PM by nmjm123 1 2 3 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 10, 2002 1:33 PM

light menstral cycles

Since starting to run 5 months ago, I've noticed a decrease in my flow and number of days. Is this normal? I'm running about 20 miles a week. Twice I've barely had a cycle at all. I'm
5" 7 and weigh 135lbs.

• royalrunner Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 22, 2007
    5. Dec 11, 2002 5:22 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: light menstral cycles

quote:

Originally posted by bubblesbas:

yikes i havent even HAD mine for a good year and 1/2

not to scare you or anything, but you are in BIG trouble!!! If you go much longer like that you are going to have more stress fractures than could ever imagine. an abnormal absence of your period is called amnorhea. If you suffer from amnorhea for more than a couple years, usually two to three, you will start to have major injuries.
    do me a favor. read this article.
    http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1038922204257750.xml[/URL" target="_blank">

PLEASE read it cause no matter what i say you have to sea and hear it for yourself. when you dont have your period your body doesnt create enough estrogen. estrogen has many roles and one of them is to absorb the calcium into your bones. without estrogen you wont absorb calcium which weakens your bones, giving you stress fractures, and setting you up for osteoporosis later in life.
         I know all this because it happened to me.  I didnt have any injuries cause i went to see a doctor after 6 months.

• swedechick Legend 1,194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 23, 2007 8:08 AM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by Cynthia Lavender:

Since starting to run 5 months ago, I've noticed a decrease in my flow and number of days. Is this normal? I'm running about 20 miles a week. Twice I've barely had a cycle at all. I'm
    5" 7 and weigh 135lbs.

i used to have a heavy flow until i started running but nothing seems to be wrong w/ my system since i have been running for 3 yrs. it might have jsut been a coincidence too b/c your periods can change and get on a fixed cycle after you have been getting them for 2 yrs and i started running about 2 yrs after i started mine. (yeah i was a late bloomer, most of my friends were 9,10, or 11 and i was 12 and a half.) but anyway, i wouldn't worry too much. looking at your height and weight you sound healthy.

p.s. i am proud of you that you had the nerve to speak about this sort of stuff on a board that has more guys than girls on it even though it looks like this thread has brought most of the females all in one thread.
    ----

Tasha

to report me at a meet: just call 1-800 I BEAT YOU.

webpages:
    http://www.littlerunner.blogspot.com/[/URL" target="_blank">
    or
    www.freewebz.com/runningchicksarehot[/URL" target="_blank">

This post was brought to you by
    some running chick[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by swedechick (edited Dec-12-2002).|http://This message has been edited by swedechick (edited Dec-12-2002).]

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 12, 2002 12:13 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by bubblesbas:

yikes i havent even HAD mine for a good year and 1/2

if it has been that long i think you need to see a gyno about that. when you quit getting periods that can be bad. 

Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 12, 2002 12:15 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by RunnerBabe05:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Also, when I really get into the cross country season, I'll skip 2-3 months...kinda scary, but it happens, and hey, I DON'T MIND AT ALL! lol

yeah, during xc season mine come like every 40 days instead of the usual every 28-31. i sometimes worry if i haven't gotten one in awhile but that time of the month usually comes eventually, it is jsut alittle late.

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Dec 13, 2002 2:29 PM (in response to Guest )

5 feet and 90 pounds is not that bad. i have a pretty muscular build since i have been doing weightlifting and speedwork which really made my legs really big. but when i got weighed i only weighed 103 pounds and i'm about '5 "4. i think i'd be around 90 if i didnt have any muscle. offseason i weigh about 106-110. i weighed 110 when i went in to see a doctor last december and when i came back last august for my sports physical they said i weighed 103 and that was after a whole summer of weight training but also hard running 6 times a week. i do notice i have less body fat than i did last track season but i always get periods anyway. that is kind of weird that you don't get them even being at a good weight. are you medium or large-boned? i have a small bones so if i weighed 90 pounds i'd still be alright. i think it's jsut the muscle that i built up why i weigh around 103-107.

----

Tasha

to report me at a meet: just call 1-800 I BEAT YOU.

webpages:
    http://www.littlerunner.blogspot.com/
    or
    www.freewebz.com/runningchicksarehot

This post was brought to you by
    some running chick[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...