Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3950 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2008 7:55 AM by BigAl__41
GregmcinNE Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 23, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2008 9:46 AM

New High School Club Team Help

I am in Lincoln , Nebr and am a coach for the youth program for our local parks and rec.  Unfortuantely, there is no high school program, but there is a league in Omaha, just an hour away.  They have told me they would love to have a team from Lincoln.  Does anyone have any experience in starting a lacrosse club from the ground up?  We have approached the local high schools and there are a lot of restriction and stipulations to haveing the club at a school.  We also know we need to join USLacrosse.

Thanks.

GM

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    1. Dec 27, 2007 2:38 PM (in response to GregmcinNE)
    Re: New High School Clun Team Help

Hey Greg,

That's awesome if you are going to take on the task of starting a program. I know a couple people who have done it and I just forwarded them the link to this discussion. Hopefully they will have some insight for you. Lacrosse is a great game and I love to see it spreading so more and more kids can get involved. You're doing a great thing!

Sara

• Laxword Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    2. Dec 27, 2007 8:25 PM (in response to GregmcinNE)
    Re: New High School Clun Team Help

GM:

A few resources and suggestions to get you started:

US Lacrosse has a new start program for situations like yours. The URL is http://www.lacrosse.org/programs/newstartprogram.phtml. US Lacrosse will also provide the insurance coverage if you and your players sign up for US Lacrosse membership.

The US Lacrosse Region for Nebraska is the Central region although there is no Nebraska Chapter. The closest one is St Louis but they may have some hints or contacts for you. |St. Louis-Missouri|grlcref@aol.com|314.963.9978|http://www.molax.org/|

Use Laxpower.com as a resource. In addition to a broad variety of Lacrosse links, they have a number of forums where you could probably go on for advice or to line up games or tournaments. Also check out the club links as Creighton, Nebraska and Nebraska-Omaha have established club teams which might be able to help with coaching, facilities or used equipment. There are also a number of high school programs that joined the students from several high schools together under one club. Colorado seems to have a number of these and someone from there may be able to help you out.

Lastly, research the equipment suppliers. Many have their own new start programs or can help out in other ways. If you can negotiate with one manufacturer or retailer to supply all your clubs needs, they will usually cut you a break on the price.

Good luck.

• BigAl__41 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Apr 2, 2008 7:52 AM (in response to GregmcinNE)
    Re: New High School Club Team Help

Hi,

I can relater to your concerns. I started the new high school team here and it was a bit of a fight at first. All of the reply's you have recieved are right as far as what they tell you sould do to get the papaer work side done. THe other side that they have not mentioned is the nuts and bolts side.

First you need a field. No field ,no games. Next you need teams to play. If you have a field games get easier to get. Make sure you have a place topractice and play before you do anything else. This may or may not  be harder then you think. Most Park and Rec's do not want big kids running around with stiks around the puplic.

Make sure you you make it as affordable as possible for your players to play. There is a huge mindset that this sport is too ecpensive for the average kid to play. I used ebay to pretty much outfit my entire team of 40 players. The average cost was down to about a $100.00 per player. It takes alot of work to do it that way but it does work.

Next get a feeder program in place so that you have new players coming in to replace the original players and these new players have at least basic stik skills. It will save you alot of time in the future when kids coming in knowing what a "crease " is and what the basice rules are. Once I realized we where going to have team I worked on the middle schools first to get them online for the next season's teams.

Try and get the local high schol coaches to us the USLacrosse PE program in their classes. That will promote the sport in the school. I basically became a salesmen for the sport of lacrosse here and did not take "No" for an answer.

If it is possible cuts cost by using the schools old football jersey's as we did. I found that once the kids saw they would be wearing the school colors they really took to it.

Also make sure that you get the school to reconize the sport as part of the Athletic program at you school. You need this to help the kids take part in thesport and they can get a letter as a reward fro their efforts. We had a lot of flack from the baseball team players because we use the same field as they do. Instead of fighting them I took the high road and built good relationships with the coaches and basically let them know we are not going away.

Those are just some of the behind the scene's things that none of the info on the internet can tell you. Good luck. By the way we are first team for the school after three try's by several other parents and students that where not able to play. They helped out also. Get the Boosters involved too.

Coach Al

• BigAl__41 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Apr 2, 2008 7:55 AM (in response to GregmcinNE)
    Re: New High School Club Team Help

Hi,

I can relate to your concerns. I started the new high school team here and it was a bit of a fight at first. All of the reply's you have recieved are right as far as what they tell you sould do to get the paper work side done. The other side that they have not mentioned is the nuts and bolts side.

First you need a field. No field ,no games. Next you need teams to play. If you have a field games get easier to get. Make sure you have a place topractice and play before you do anything else. This may or may not be harder then you think. Most Park and Rec's do not want big kids running around with stiks around the public.

Make sure you you make it as affordable as possible for your players to play. There is a huge mindset that this sport is too ecpensive for the average kid to play. I used ebay to pretty much outfit my entire team of 40 players. The average cost was down to about a $100.00 per player. It takes alot of work to do it that way but it does work.

Next get a feeder program in place so that you have new players coming in to replace the original players and these new players have at least basic stik skills. It will save you alot of time in the future when kids coming in knowing what a "crease " is and what the basic rules are. Once I realized we where going to have team I worked on the middle schools first to get them online for the next season's teams.

Try and get the local high schol coaches to us the USLacrosse PE program in their classes. That will promote the sport in the school. I basically became a salesmen for the sport of lacrosse here and did not take "No" for an answer.

If it is possible cuts cost by using the schools old football jersey's as we did. I found that once the kids saw they would be wearing the school colors they really took to it.

Also make sure that you get the school to reconize the sport as part of the Athletic program at you school. You need this to help the kids take part in thesport and they can get a letter as a reward fro their efforts. We had a lot of flack from the baseball team players because we use the same field as they do. Instead of fighting them I took the high road and built good relationships with the coaches and basically let them know we are not going away.

Those are just some of the behind the scene's things that none of the info on the internet can tell you. Good luck. By the way we are first team for the school after three try's by several other parents and students that where not able to play. They helped out also. Get the Boosters involved too.

Coach Al

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...