Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8065 Views 62 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2008 5:19 AM by xcpickle09 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • distancerun101 Amateur 46 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Oct 16, 2005 2:15 PM (in response to LZ5520)
    Re: 5k times

Hey Twiggy!!  I went and ran the Chile Pepper in Ark. this weekend, what an awesome race!  I watched the college guys go off before us and it was awesome to watch them run. I guess the front pack of guys did the first mile in 4:20. That's fast...plus they still had to run 5 more miles.

The race I was in had about 650 guys all on the start line, they combined the senior high and the junior high boys open divisions. Made it hard to figure out what place I was in so I just ran with the lead pack of senior boys. I was really happy with my start and was able to be in the front 10 guys by the time we got to the narrows then we ended up doing a 5:10 first mile which was way too fast for me but I told myself to stay with these guys, they were a bunch of guys from the Woodlands, so I knew it would be fast. The course was fun, lots of little hills with some good downhill parts to make up places, it was fast. I came in 7th overall and 2nd in the junior high division, ran a 17:05, PR'ed by 23 seconds!!

This race got me excited for the cross country nationals in December. We start qualifing races in 2 weeks.  I wish you could be there.  Are you going to try and go?

• mep5555 Pro 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    46. Oct 16, 2005 5:47 PM (in response to LZ5520)

quote:

Originally posted by distancerun101:

This race got me excited for the cross country nationals in December. We start qualifing races in 2 weeks. I wish you could be there. Are you going to try and go?

AAU, USATF, or both?

• Twigger Legend 398 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    47. Oct 16, 2005 6:36 PM (in response to LZ5520)

Wow Shorty you still amaze me soooo much! 23sec Pr that is amazing plus that freshman guy that beat shouldnt have been running in the junior high division anyway!  Im gonna check on those USATF qualifying meets i dont know how far away they are for me. I want to go though so i can see ya and all my Lewisville people (they are gonna do it after their season is done too)

Shorty My profile picture is my Lake Cities picture from last year LOL

----

I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't.

MyProfile[/URL" target="_blank">

Mar 3, 2005
    48. Oct 16, 2005 9:49 PM (in response to LZ5520)

mep5555 - USATF

Twigger, just figure out your association by you and call to get the details, the association meets are starting soon.  That would be awesome if you came!    Good luck with your races next weekend.

Dec 14, 2007
    49. Oct 16, 2005 11:11 PM (in response to LZ5520)

quote:

mep5555 - USATF

Well good luck to you in RI! My daughter's club that I help coach does AAU for cross country due to it fitting better with the school calendar/schedule. So we'll be heading to SC the week before you go to RI.

Mar 3, 2005
    50. Oct 17, 2005 8:35 AM (in response to LZ5520)

quote:

Originally posted by mep5555:

Well good luck to you in RI! My daughter's club that I help coach does AAU for cross country due to it fitting better with the school calendar/schedule. So we'll be heading to SC the week before you go to RI.

Have fun in SC.  We are going to do that next year cause it will be at Disney.

Dec 14, 2007
    51. Oct 17, 2005 9:48 AM (in response to LZ5520)

quote:

Have fun in SC. We are going to do that next year cause it will be at Disney.

Thanks! Yep, we're already looking forward to next year's trip cause of the location.

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    52. Oct 17, 2005 4:19 PM (in response to LZ5520)

nice, JO nationals is like 10 minutes from my house this year.  I could just about run that course with my eyes closed.  Too bad I'm too damn old.

Mar 3, 2005
    53. Oct 17, 2005 5:32 PM (in response to LZ5520)

quote:

Originally posted by the kenyan:

nice, JO nationals is like 10 minutes from my house this year. I could just about run that course with my eyes closed. Too bad I'm too damn old.

What's the course like?  and coming from Texas are we going to freeze our tailends off?  

• Twigger Legend 398 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    54. Oct 17, 2005 7:07 PM (in response to LZ5520)

Shorty aka distance101

NOOOOOO! I am so upset. I will most likely not get to go because of how XC season is set up here and during the races I am in Washington DC for that Leadership Forum thing I told you about this summer. : (

I was hoping to improve on my dismal performance last year of 60-somthing and have fun freezing again like last time.
    By the way is coach jason gonna go with you this year or not bc of his new coaching postition?

I will still try to visit texas soon!

----

I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't.

MyProfile[/URL" target="_blank">

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    55. Dec 24, 2007 5:43 PM (in response to LZ5520)

for the 5k......flat first mile with a big downhill at the end, head into the woods right at the mile mark.  You're in the woods for exactly a mile...this part is pretty slow, lots of turns and some short steep hills, nothing major, but makes it tough to develop a rhythm.  Exit the woods at the 2 mile mark, they sort of loop around, so then you go up the same big hill you went down in the beginning.  Last 1k is entirely flat, same as the start but in reverse direction.  Short downhill going into the last 100 meters, and you'll go around a big scoreboard a little ways before that. Thats a good place to throw it down and then just let the downhill carry you in.  Not the most difficult course out there but definitely not the easiest.  The woods loop can really slow people down, so try to get good position going into it. 

Unfortunately I'm not sure on the 4k, but it's something along those same lines.

RI in december can go either way, you could see 20s or you could see 50s, but being from texas, yeah you'll probably freeze. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/cool.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/cool.gif|border=0!

[http://This message has been edited by the kenyan (edited Oct-17-2005).|http://This message has been edited by the kenyan (edited Oct-17-2005).]

• matilda68 Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 12, 2005
    56. Oct 17, 2005 10:20 PM (in response to LZ5520)

My daughter went to JO in Chicago for XC last year and the course was awful!
    It was mostly in the open, (not wooded), and just winding around staked out areas. Also there was this one really muddy spot that was on a corner, and because it wasn't roped off properly, all the spectators were walking over the course churning up the mud even more. I was really disappointed.
    We liked the course in Maine much better.
    Hope RI is as good as everyone says!

• Currently Being Moderated
    57. Oct 20, 2005 6:38 PM (in response to LZ5520)

i run 17:46 in last meet

58. Oct 20, 2005 6:47 PM (in response to LZ5520)

16, male, junior: 19:04, pretty pathetic for a male/junior but still second best time on my team

59. Oct 20, 2005 6:49 PM (in response to LZ5520)

freshman runs 17:46

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...