Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4381 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 1:51 PM by NH_Runner
DDX Pro 107 posts since
Apr 23, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2005 5:16 PM

How should I train during the winter?

I live in CT(in a really hilly region, too), so when it snows, it can come down pretty bad. I'll probably be unable to run outside for a lot of the winter. So, how should I get a good workout?

Also, would it be wise to lighten up my schedule, since I just came off of XC season and wish to run a strong track season? I'm thinking of keeping my mileage fairly light 'till like Feb-Early March, where I'll start working out more so I can head into track season strong, uninjured, and not burned out.

• fasterISfunner16 Amateur 40 posts since
    May 28, 2005
    1. Nov 23, 2005 5:48 PM (in response to DDX)
    Re: How should I train during the winter?

I feel your pain.  I live in NE Ohio, and we've got 5 inches on the ground as I type.  Also, treadmills=death.  I don't like them!! Yeah, I'm trying to keep almost decent milage until track season is in sight.  But, if anyone else has good ideas. please let me, and DDX know!

• Live4TheKick Amateur 37 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 23, 2005 5:50 PM (in response to DDX)

The same topic came up on another thread somewhere on the site. I'll repsond in the same way.
    Look at the picture in my profile

----

~David
    Me winning[/URL" target="_blank">
    Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• Professor010 Legend 613 posts since
    Nov 6, 2002
    3. Nov 23, 2005 6:12 PM (in response to DDX)

quote:

Originally posted by Live4TheKick:

The same topic came up on another thread somewhere on the site. I'll repsond in the same way.
    Look at the picture in my profile

holy crap you musta gotten frostbite on your entire body. i could see not letting the weather dictate whether or not youre gonna run, but geez, at least dress for it...

oh yeah by the way...g/l at footlocker regionals NE. i wanted to go, was training for it for 3 weeks, even missed the beginning of winter track and went thru a whole bunch of drama w/ my coach because of it...and then my ride falls through and my mom wont take me. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/mad.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/mad.gif|border=0!

----

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 23, 2005 6:33 PM (in response to DDX)

quote:

Originally posted by DDX:

I live in CT(in a really hilly region, too), so when it snows, it can come down pretty badly.
    Also, would it be wise to lighten up my schedule, since I just came off of XC season and wish to run a strong track season?

I also live in CT and watched the snow flurries yesterday. You can run while it is snowing but you have to watch out for plows as they can't see you. You also might have to run a little slower until the snow melts.

Don't back off the mileage, but use the winter as an oppportunity to increase it. As long as everything you do is aerobic you don't have to worry about "burn out". Besides, if you feel tied, you either take a day off or back off the mileage until you feel better. Winter is also a good time to make sure that you get in a long run (whatever distance that might be) every week.

One of my daughter's best workouts in high school was the day after we got 2 feet of snow.  She wanted to do something fast to get ready for a tough race and insisted that we could do it, even with all of the snow.  About 5 miles from home, we found a strip of road where the snow had melted and ran repeats there.  So, just focus on training on don't worry about the weather as you can't do anything about it.

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 23, 2005 7:43 PM (in response to DDX)

I've got to agree with Richard on this one. The winter is a time to build mileage again. It should be just like the summer. Lots of miles and tempo runs. I wouldn't put any weight on indoor track meets, you'll want to train right through them. Jus t build your mileage because if you rush it in March then you're probably going to bet hurt.
    Also invest in a pair of tights, there's no reason to be running in the snow dressed like that.

----

Alex[/URL" target="_blank">

• kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
    Sep 22, 2007
    6. Nov 23, 2005 8:07 PM (in response to DDX)

Cross train, swim, bike on a trainer, run on the warmer days, dress warmer (i know it is hard to do in CT), run on a tredmill. Run as much as possible or when you can because not running much will not hurt a whole lot.

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Nov 24, 2005 8:25 PM (in response to DDX)

quote:

Originally posted by DDX:

but around these parts of CT, ice is VERY common when it snows

What part of CT?

• runxc09 Legend 354 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Nov 25, 2005 5:03 PM (in response to DDX)

try to run as much as possible. If you don't mind treadmills that would be a good option. I live in NH and I know how much running in the snow sux.

I ran a 5k race on thanksgiving in the snow. There was 3 inches on the ground by the time the race started and there were no plows out. There was no traction uphill feet slipped everywhere. Downhill was worse. A bunch of us just slid down the hill. It was the worst time I ever had. The whole race was a joke. But it was fun and made me feel a little less guilty about all the turkey I ate.

Anyways... if that had been a training run, I probably would have stopped. It is hard to do a QUALITY workout in the snow. Just run as much as you can when it is possible! Good Luck 

• Twigger Legend 398 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    11. Nov 25, 2005 7:29 PM (in response to DDX)

I had been having this same question!  I am trying to do all my workouts outside now thanks to my hatred of treadmills. Running in the snow... count is up to 2 days. And one in a Turkey Trot.
    For yall that are used to running in snow and ice would it be advisable to buy those things you can put on the bottom of your shoe to have more traction. Im worried about slipping and killing myself on ice now! lol.

DDX- Thats cool that u live in Waterbury! I was born there but lived in Nagatuk and then moved when i was 5. Wow now that i think of it ive moved alot...oh well.

----

I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't.

MyProfile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Live4TheKick Amateur 37 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Nov 27, 2005 6:14 PM (in response to DDX)

Professor:
    holy crap you musta gotten frostbite on your entire body. i could see not letting the weather dictate whether or not youre gonna run, but geez, at least dress for it...

Well...it was a race. I wouldn't do that normally

----

~David
    Me winning[/URL" target="_blank">
    Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    13. Dec 11, 2009 1:51 PM (in response to DDX)

I agree with maintaining mileage -- it can give you a definite edge over those that do not.  Keep at least some of your runnning miles outside (rather than just treadmill) so that the transition inthe spring is easier.  But please, do it safely!!

* Stay visible -- cars and snowplows win encounters with runners

* Layers so that you can adjust during long runs

* Stay upright -- especially for faster runners who tend to not like heavy strap-on traction devices, try Icespike to help with traction ( http://icespike.net ) -- think track cleats for winter conditions.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...