Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6479 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2010 9:29 PM by Benji439 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
xcrunner97 Pro 110 posts since
Mar 18, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2006 7:04 PM

Middle School Mile Times

Sorry im writin so many topics guys, but im new here so i wanna write a lot
First of all, any middle school cross country runners here?
If so, what are your mile times?
and you older people, how fast did u run a mile in middle school?
I'm at like 6:10 but i think that's pretty slow
What do you guys do to train?

----

Speed is Life.

• wayne5000 Pro 98 posts since
    Jun 15, 2005
    1. Mar 18, 2006 7:55 PM (in response to xcrunner97)
    Re: Middle School Mile Times

4:49 in 8th grade

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    2. Mar 18, 2006 8:00 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

are you a girl or guy?  either way, that's not exactly SLOW but it might make a difference in whether or not you win any races ....

middle school boys, at my daughter's division I middle school (small school for the biggest school division in Ohio) were running between 5:00-5:30 the last couple years for the top runners ... top girls were between 6:00 - 6:30 ...

way back when I ran I know I didn't break 6:00 in middle school but placed top 3 in most races ...

I had some school records by the time I was in High School and since I coach and also attend my kids' sporting events I check out current school records whenever I have a chance ... many schools around central Ohio have girls records in HS between 5:10 - 5:30 and boys records in the 4:40-5:00 range ... I think a lot has to do with quality of coaching, on-team challenges (is anybody there to push the top runner?), and genetics, of course ...

It's more likely to see huge improvements in the first couple years of running and then things will generally slow down and require much more focus to get more efficient and faster in races  ...

• jellybean567 Pro 102 posts since
    May 7, 2005
    5. Mar 19, 2006 12:08 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

In 8th grade(I'm a girl!) I ran a 6:00.6 mile, but bin like 6th and 7th grades I had like 7-8 minute miles.

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    6. Mar 19, 2006 12:55 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

xcrunner97  ... 

first off ... about your times and those in your area ... that's exactly why I brought up the in-team competition thing ... if there isn't anybody there pushing you on a daily basis it is harder (not impossible) to meet your potential ...

I am in Central Ohio ... I looked up RockyRiver and it is in the center of Ohio, but all the way up on Lake Erie       ... between Cleveland and Toledo somewhere!    About 100 miles or so away ...

Rhode Island is pretty small compared to Ohio and Ohio is pretty small compared to states out west ... I think Rhode Island would fit into one of Ohio's counties ...

I think the best way young runners can give themselves an edge is to run on their own to build up base milage in the off seasons (summer and winter if you do XC and track) ... most kids I know don't run on their own (much) and don't nearly reach their potentials because of that ... trying to increase milage a bunch on your own during track or XC wouldn't be such a good thing, though, you'd probably end up very tired and overtrained and see race times get worse rather than better ... work on your form and speed and do your workouts to the best of your ability and then be sure to keep running on your own and gradually increase the number of miles per run and per week you are doing and you'll see improvements in all your race times ...

Good luck!

• Twigger Legend 398 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    7. Mar 19, 2006 2:28 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

In middle school I ran the 1600 (it was only me and a friend i made run) and the fastest I ran was 6:22 (thats for a girl btw)
    In ways of training I now see that I did very little. I ran in the mornining and 1 lap was the warmup, we would play tag or do 5x300 repeats, sometimes would go on a 1.5 mile loop as a "long run".
    Once a week I would run a timed 1600 for athletics class and we had to get it done in 12min. or less lol and then in Spring I would race once a week for track and I think track might have been 5-6 races.

If you want to improve (like Sportigrl says) the best way is to start increasing distance; i saw crazy improvement starting HS and upping distance, but dont go crazy about it or else your just asking for injuries. You have alot of time to improve and to enjoy running!

----

I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't.

MyProfile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Professor010 Legend 613 posts since
    Nov 6, 2002
    8. Mar 20, 2006 9:46 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

what does your training look like? because when i was in jr. high i ran a 7:47 mile in gym (8th grade) and that was while i was training for the 400 in jr. high track...the 400 runners on my team now (in high school) run 7:47 miles as a warmup.  once i changed my training to more distance-oriented stuff, i cut off time drastically...a year later i was running a 1500 in 5:25, under a 5:50 mile, and the next spring my best was a 5:04 1500, abouta 5:25 mile.

once you get into high school your training will probably be a lot more intense in general and you'll cut off a LOT of time. that's the way it works at my school anyway.

----

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

• braxs525 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2006
    10. Mar 21, 2006 10:49 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

hey i'm in 7th grader and i'm a boy my mile time is 5:20 but i'll get under 5:10 before track is over i ran the 2mile the other day and got 11:11 and won the race but our #1 runner wasn't there so i won lol i also run XC

• Runnerkid22 Amateur 30 posts since
    Nov 28, 2005
    11. Mar 22, 2006 6:34 AM (in response to xcrunner97)

(boy) In 7th grade I ran a 6:07 but I haven't run it yet this year but I'm predicting around 5:40ish

• braxs525 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2006
    12. Mar 27, 2006 10:05 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

hey wel i jsut ran a 10:56 in the 2 mile i finally broke 11

• Heracles Expert 84 posts since
    Sep 2, 2005
    13. Mar 28, 2006 4:54 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

Judging by your mile and 2-mile times... (which don't look to right), I'd say you better do some speedwork.

• sportzfreek Pro 105 posts since
    Aug 11, 2004
    14. Mar 28, 2006 6:10 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

Im a girl. In eighth grade I had a 6 minute mile. But you cant just base your time on others, everybody is built different.  But you sound like you are doing pretty good. Good Luck!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...