Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18990 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 2:03 PM by JRRunsSlow RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Grimmace093 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 21, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 7, 2006 7:19 PM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: Listen to Music While Running?

I have to say that Greenday and Trapt are my two favorite artists for running. Staind and Poe are pretty good too though.
    Hard rock bands are the best for running, because they get you pumped. Even when I'm not running to music, I sing in my head. It really helps me forget the miles.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Dec 24, 2007 9:02 PM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by Grimmace:

I have to say that Greenday and Trapt are my two favorite artists for running. Staind and Poe are pretty good too though.
    Hard rock bands are the best for running, because they get you pumped. Even when I'm not running to music, I sing in my head. It really helps me forget the miles.

Yeah same here I get songs stuck in my head and start singing them even when I'm not listening to music. I always end up with one or two lines repeating over and over lol.

Adding to the list CKY. That is one sweet band and great for running.

----

Dammit I gave in and made a profile.[/URL" target="_blank">

SU-FI

[http://This message has been edited by SoFarGone (edited Jun-07-2006).|http://This message has been edited by SoFarGone (edited Jun-07-2006).]

Dec 14, 2007
    34. Dec 24, 2007 9:02 PM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by jeff19:

I'd go farther back on Greenday, btw. Do you know the song "Minority"? (I wanna be the minority, down with the moral majority, cause I wanna be the minority... I pledge alliegence, to the Underworld, one nation under darkness in which I stand alone... etc.) I liked 'em about 6 or 7 years ago. How long've you guys liked them?

I got into them about when Warning came out in 2000 (with Minority and all that). I was 10 or so. Then of course I had to go back and get all of their older stuff which has now become my favorite (Insomniac, Nimrod, Dookie etc). But American Idiot is sweet too.

What's your opinion on Panic! At the Disco? (And not just as running music, but your opinion of them in general). Just curious.

----

Dammit I gave in and made a profile.[/URL" target="_blank">

SU-FI

[http://This message has been edited by SoFarGone (edited Jun-08-2006).|http://This message has been edited by SoFarGone (edited Jun-08-2006).]

• KeyLimePie Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 7, 2006
    35. Jun 8, 2006 12:25 PM (in response to jeff19)

Yes, "A Whole New World" is a very good running song - they don't have steady beats, but pretty much everyone grew up on that stuff.  It's Princess Jasmine, too.  Heeheee, I actually have heard a guy sing that.  It was something I'll never forget.  Other good ones: The Bear Necessities, No one (blanks) like Gaston, Be Our Guest, etc.

Also, songs from "Muppet Treasure Island" are really good. Musicals also work well, too. I get them stuck in my head. Phantom of the Opera and Joseph (and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat) definitely have catchy tunes.

Why, of course key lime pie is your favorite food!  

Dec 14, 2007
    38. Jun 9, 2006 12:37 AM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by jeff19:

99 Red Balloons by Goldfinger is another favorite of mine-I have more single songs and mixes than I do albums, so I really couldn't tell you about Warning... I like Minority a lot, and... what else was in that album? Jack@$$ I sorta liked... It depends on what I feel like listening to.  Sometimes quite a bit I like them, others I get annoyed. (with the depressing ones...) I kinda sway between listening to harder/softer stuff every once in a while. Greenday is the best for listening to in the car on a long drive out on country roads I think. that's kinda fun in itself actually. I like your profile pic btw-Office Space is a great movie. I watch it like every time I go to my friends house. (I think I've seen at least an hour of it 6 times now-we skip around a lot) "WHY do you tell me paper jam, when there IS NO PAPER JAM!!!" and "sounds like SOMEBODY has a case of the Mondays"... hehehe....  Re: Listen to Music While Running?http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif[/IMG]<br />And I have the Muppets movie somewheres... I'll have to watch it when I find it.<br />     Anyone go to Homestarrunner.com?

Oh yeah Office Space is probably my favorite movie. I can basically recite every line to it. It's slightly pitiful.  Re: Listen to Music While Running?http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif[/IMG] And I'm with ya on 99 Red Balloons, I love that song! Although it's been covered by a ton of bands (Goldfinger included) but I still like their version best.

----

[URL=http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=SoFarGone]Dammit I gave in and made a profile.[/URL]

SU-FI

• novicerunner67 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 3, 2006
    39. Jun 19, 2006 12:27 PM (in response to jeff19)

Originally posted by TweetyPie:
    id love to but the headphones keep falling out my ears. My ears are quite small, if any of u have any suggestions of good earphones id be greatful.

I got these Griffin ear plugs that attach to the iPod originals  -- they stay in while running and the block out noise too.  They were $15.00 at Radio Shack (they had them at Best Buy, but they were more expensive).

• novicerunner67 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 3, 2006
    40. Jun 19, 2006 12:32 PM (in response to jeff19)

Originally posted by TweetyPie:
    id love to but the headphones keep falling out my ears. My ears are quite small, if any of u have any suggestions of good earphones id be greatful.

I got these Griffin ear plugs that attach to the iPod originals  -- they stay in while running and the block out noise too.  They were $15.00 at Radio Shack (they had them at Best Buy, but they were more expensive).

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    41. Jun 19, 2006 12:59 PM (in response to jeff19)

currently on the kenyan's playlist (which is updated a half dozen times a day or so):

walk this way- aerosmith
    we didnt start the fire - billy joel
    livin on a prayer- bon jovi
    born to run- bruce springsteen
    i get knocked down- chumbawhatever
    sandstorm- da rude
    one hit wonder- everclear
    best of you- foo fighters
    holiday - green day
    paradise city- guns n' roses
    welcome to the jungle- guns n' roses
    the remedy- jason mraz
    the middle- jimmy eat world
    sweetness- jimmy eat world
    battleflag- lo fidelity allstars
    enter sandman- metallica
    i'll melt with you- modern english
    smells like teen spirit- nirvana
    we will rock you- queen
    black betty- ram jam
    by the way- red hot chili peppers
    allstar- smash mouth
    bouncing off the walls- sugarcult
    vertigo- U2
    chariots of fire theme (obviously)

as far as running while listening....use your own judgement. Bikepath in the middle of the day- fine, familiar residential area with sidewalks- fine, but perhaps not on a major street with tight space. It's always nice to hear those 18-wheelers bearing down on you.

contrary to popular opinion, there's no correlation between ability/seriousness and the decision to listen to music.  Haile Gebrselassie was said to listen to music on his easy runs, but I guess he's just a jogger anyway.

• kazsemajohs Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 18, 2006
    42. Jun 19, 2006 2:47 PM (in response to jeff19)

i listen to my mp3 player when i run by myself, but all my music that i listen to is fast and i keep it quiet so i dont get to into the music and can still focus on my running.

• Haert2run Expert 54 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    43. Jun 19, 2006 7:07 PM (in response to jeff19)

I don't listen to music.  depending on where I'm at on my season I use my runs for either strategizing, practicing form, or focusing on a race.  if I'm not in racing I use my running time as a time to think and relax.  Music really throws me off.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...