Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18885 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 2:03 PM by JRRunsSlow RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • droopyshorts Rookie 2 posts since
    May 20, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jun 27, 2006 3:59 PM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: Listen to Music While Running?

quote:

Originally posted by muhscc05:

yeah it is

yep...music's fer joggers, and runners, and spinners, and walkers, and treadmillers, and yoga-ers, aerobic-ers, and ...well, you get my point. I highly recommend trying a free Podrunner mix from www.fitpod.com[/URL" target="_blank"> or from www.djsteveboy.com[/URL" target="_blank"> (or both), especially if you DON'T think music is for running. I cannot get enough of it myself.

• AFewScrewsLoose Pro 169 posts since
    May 28, 2006
    46. Jun 27, 2006 4:50 PM (in response to jeff19)

When I run at home or a gym on a treadmill, I always have music with me. Because usually when I'm on a treadmill, it's a fun run, and I sing and wiggle around/dance while running and try not to fall down haha

Some of my favorites to run to:
    Billy Idol
    ACDC
    Nirvana
    The Blues Travelors
    Primus
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    Def Leppard
    Twisted Sister
    Queen
    Guns N Roses
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Ramones
    Aerosmith
    Metallica
    Oldschool Greenday
    Chumbawumba(I get knocked down)
    Trapt

and so on...
    I figure I'd love music while road running because music in general is just great to listen to, I've just never tried it yet lol. Haha I suppose I'm too lazy running those many miles to grab my mp3 player as I head out the door

I run my fastest with Billy Idol and The Ramones thanks to their fast beats.

• walrusgod Amateur 181 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    47. Jun 27, 2006 6:01 PM (in response to jeff19)

not completely relevant but michael johnson used to listen to music before he ran. i heard he used to listen to "Me Against The World" by Tupac. I know its not quite the same as listening to music while you run but mj could hardly be called a jogger...

• AFewScrewsLoose Pro 169 posts since
    May 28, 2006
    48. Jun 27, 2006 10:30 PM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by walrusgod:

not completely relevant but michael johnson used to listen to music before he ran. i heard he used to listen to "Me Against The World" by Tupac. I know its not quite the same as listening to music while you run but mj could hardly be called a jogger...

Haha, that's pretty interesting in a way

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    49. Jun 28, 2006 11:08 AM (in response to jeff19)

Sounds don't play a huge role anyway.  It can tell you something might be there.  But it can't tell you nothing is there. 

----

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

It's Easy to lie with stats, but it's easier to lie without them.

• tdiana Rookie 13 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    50. Jun 28, 2006 11:14 AM (in response to jeff19)

I prefer to run alone and listen to music.  With 2 kids at home it is my alone time.  I like to listen to Ministry, but unfortunately it causes me to run too fast, I'm doing Maffetone.  I run through Chicago and never felt unsafe with headphones on.

• sheepfugue Rookie 37 posts since
    Jun 14, 2006
    51. Jun 29, 2006 1:00 AM (in response to jeff19)

I just downloaded a bunch of And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead from a friend and really like some of the faster songs for running, like "Worlds Apart" or "How Near How Far."

But it was funny because I'd never heard of them before. They're kind of like a cross between Green Day and Pearl Jam (if anyone listen to Pearl Jam anymore).

In response to the original post, though, I find when the 'pod craps out that I've almost always got a song stuck in my head if I think about it, like background noise, that I can kind of run to. Or I go through the storylines of movies that I've seen looking for plotholes.

I would zone out more without listening to music, I think.  Because listening to it I know I have to be more aware so I kind of tune in visually more.  I don't run near cars, though.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    52. Jul 3, 2006 1:05 AM (in response to jeff19)

Here's another....Pirates of the Carribbean theme song. Yeah it sounds cheesy but it's a really great running song...try it sometime when you're feeling tired during a run. It'll get ya moving.

I'll add more later. Too tired right now.

----

Dammit I gave in and made a profile.[/URL" target="_blank">

SU-FI

• dorkitoes Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 1, 2006
    53. Jul 5, 2006 3:10 AM (in response to jeff19)

when im off-season for xc and i'm just trying to stay in a reasonable running shape (i dont run track) i'll run alone with my ipod..i know it's not safe or whatever, but i dont really think anyone would kidnap me...so yeah its all good. ( !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!) i find ipods/mp3 players take my mind off running, but i keep a good pace.

• Deadpixel Legend 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    54. Jul 5, 2006 10:30 AM (in response to jeff19)

I run with music if I'm on the treadmill, but when I'm out on the road I'll sometimes go sans-tunes.  I don't really have any good music to run to on my player, most of it is more mellowy stuff, which I find makes me slow my pace a little.  It just depends how far I'm going, the further, the more likely I am to bring music, since it can at least take my mind off of the run if it starts to get a little tedious.

• csickels Rookie 100 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    55. Sep 8, 2009 10:47 AM (in response to jeff19)

for the person who asked if anybody still listens to Pearl Jam, yes there are millions of us - they've maintained a large loyal fan base despite very limited promotional activity (by their choice).  they still sell out large arenas and stadiums around the world, and are about to put out their 9th studio album. 

in fact, i made it a point to reply because about 60-70% of my running Ipod is filled with Pearl Jam songs.  off the new record, the songs "Got Some" and "Supersonic" are outstanding for running.  "Got Some" carried me to a personal best in a 4Miler just yesterday.  Great tempo, great lyrics. Other Pearl Jam songs that should be on any Rock fan's running playlist (whether you're a PJ fan or not):

Lukin, Corduroy, Go, Blood, Given to Fly, Save You, Life Wasted, Do the Evolution, Last Exit.  Of course, old standbys like Alive, Once, and Even Flow are great too. 

Aside from Pearl Jam, I also like Eminem, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Beastie Boys, Metallica, The Who, Rolling Stones, basically any hard rocking up tempo rock or hip hop.  Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions too. 

• brittinaxel Expert 49 posts since
    Aug 13, 2008
    56. Sep 8, 2009 2:48 PM (in response to TweetyPie)

I have these and they work pretty good. If your worried about getting hit by a car or something just run with on & hook the other on ur shirt or armband then you will hear anything coming.

http://www.headphonesfactory.com/store/philips-ear-clips-with-bass-vents.html

If you just look for over ear headphones on this site you could probably find better ones that you like

"One day of Pain is worth the rest in Pride"
  • Runninggunny Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 3, 2008
    57. Nov 3, 2009 12:36 AM (in response to SoFarGone)

That is a good song to run to.

" Pray, Run, Pray "

• Rosiemascas Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    58. Nov 28, 2009 2:10 PM (in response to jeff19)

http://thelonerunner.wordpress.com/

Hey, great thread.  I CAN'T run without music! I don't know what's wrong with me but I just don't like the sound of my exhausted breathing and feet pounding repetitively on the concrete.  Most excellent song of the moment is Deep Blue Sea by Grizzly Bear, it has 78/156 bpm which i find perfect.

Check out thelonerunner - a great blog with inspiration for people who love to run alone with music!

• Tom Slot Expert 43 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    59. Nov 28, 2009 3:32 PM (in response to jeff19)

I always listen to music while I train and even while I race. It keeps me pumped up. My training mixes vary from classic rock, to pop, to oddlies, all the way to musical theatre and classical. But for race day, I almost always listen to The Hold Steady. For those of you that haven't heard fo them, they are an indie rock band. Take Bruce Springsteen, give him punk influences, and have him spend a year drinking with George Thorogood and you get the sound of The Hold Steady. They just get me in the mood to run. High energy and great lyrics. I highly recommend you check them out if you haven't listened to them and you're a fan of rock music.

Tom Slot
    --------------------------

Actor - Musician - Teacher

http://www.tomslot.com - Official website
    http://www.fatherofsongs.com - A New Musical By Tom Slot

Find me on Facebook.

Find me on YouTube.

My Running Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...