Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2113 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2007 10:27 PM by zsmith RSS 1 2 Previous Next
phillip bong Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 22, 2006 8:42 PM

marathons?

anyone here a high school runner who has completed a marathon or is planning to? what are your times and what are your opinions on people our age doing marathons?

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    1. May 22, 2006 10:06 PM (in response to phillip bong)
    Re: marathons?

2:04:55.

----

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

It's Easy to lie with stats, but it's easier to lie without them.

• galoosh33 Rookie 11 posts since
    Feb 25, 2006
    2. May 23, 2006 11:45 AM (in response to phillip bong)

2:04:55 ?!?!

• captainwildcat Pro 264 posts since
    Aug 18, 2007
    3. May 23, 2006 2:51 PM (in response to phillip bong)

I ran my first marathon at age 18 after my freshman year of college. I had been running for three years and averaged about 80 miles/week for the three months leading up to the marathon.  I finished in 3:15 and recovered just fine within a couple of weeks (no residual soreness etc.)  I recovered well because I was done growing and I had been doing fairly high mileage.
    Many if not most marathons have a minimum age limit of 18, this is in place to protect many younger runners from themselves or from overzealous coaches/parents. Yes, some runners under 18 handle running a marathon, but most are just not physically mature enough to handle it without having a high risk of long term damage.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• hellohi Pro 137 posts since
    Feb 25, 2006
    4. May 23, 2006 4:32 PM (in response to phillip bong)

For anyone who didnt get Crazy1
    2:04.55 is the world record

• runxc09 Legend 354 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 23, 2006 8:06 PM (in response to phillip bong)

High schoolers shouldn't be running marathons until they are AT LEAST 18. It will mess with your growth and cause injuries. You have your whole life to run marathons, stick with cross country now. You can only run high school XC ONCE!!

• nvxc09ald Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 24, 2006 7:22 PM (in response to phillip bong)

maybe.... he's a senior?

• KraZfast Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2006
    8. Jun 7, 2006 11:07 PM (in response to phillip bong)

I ran a half marathon this year, but I'm waiting till after college to try a full marathon. The half was extremely fun!

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    9. Dec 24, 2007 10:27 PM (in response to phillip bong)

just did my first last november. (jr. year of college)  Didnt really train specifically for it-only had one 17 mile long run-but i was in the best shape of my life and figured why the hell not?

I was moving along at a pretty decent 7:30 clip until the self-implosion began at 20 miles and I trudged home in 3:28, with a blazing 58 minute last 10k.

I had 2 socks soaked in blood (which I saved), lost 2 toenails (which i also saved, thank you), and had the time of my life. The moral of the story: if you're really into running long distances and pushing yourself then by all means go for it. Just be aware of the pain that comes with the ecstasy, and put it off until an opportune time if you have to....which usually means waiting till you graduate from high school, given the training regimens for XC and indoor/outdoor track.

recovery was quick & easy....to me it felt like just another sunday long run afterward. It was like "oh i ran a marathon, thats nice. Time to go on with the rest of my day." Aside from the throbbing of my big toes, which lasted a day or two, i was more or less entirely pain free in the ensuing days.

Bottom line: get your body used to running lots of miles before you try anything.

----

WWRD

(What Would Rexing Do?)

[http://This message has been edited by the kenyan (edited Jun-07-2006).|http://This message has been edited by the kenyan (edited Jun-07-2006).]

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
  • Fitz Dragonn Pro 135 posts since
    Mar 7, 2006
    11. Jun 8, 2006 7:33 PM (in response to phillip bong)

i'm plaining on running the detroit marathon oct. 29th.  i will be about 2 mounths away from 18 then. i think any one can do it.  i'm not going for a time just to finish.

• JCyrus Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 9, 2006
    12. Jun 9, 2006 12:22 PM (in response to phillip bong)

I'm 16, and I'm going to be a junior in high school this fall.  I've just sort of embarked on the journey towards running a marathon.  I've read about how it can be horrible for your body, and I actually tend to agree.  My plan is to work up to being able to be somewhat competitive in the half marathon distance by the time I graduate from high school, and be able to do a marathon before graduating college.

I don't really have a set plan for doing this, I'm just hoping to slowly build up my mileage over the next few years until I feel I'm ready.

• beanpole Legend 245 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jun 9, 2006 8:44 PM (in response to phillip bong)

^^^same.
    and if you read the newest runnersworld (you guys get that in the states???) theres a section on highschool marathoners

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    14. Jun 9, 2006 9:49 PM (in response to phillip bong)

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz Dragonn:

i'm plaining on running the detroit marathon oct. 29th. i will be about 2 mounths away from 18 then. i think any one can do it. i'm not going for a time just to finish.

Just because you're suicidal doesn't mean that you should try and encourage other people to join you...

I would recommend that anyone who is motivated to run a marathon because of Fitz's comments reads a bit of marathon literature before they start training..

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...