Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13170 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2008 2:23 PM by NurseTonya RSS
runschoryrun Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 3, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 4, 2006 3:19 PM

Running with young kids

Any advice on how to get young kids running?  I'm new to running myself so I am at a slow pace too.  My son is 7 and I think will really like it once he gets going, it's just how to get him excited about it.  Any suggestions???

• copasetic1 Rookie 22 posts since
    Oct 15, 2003
    1. Aug 4, 2006 3:25 PM (in response to runschoryrun)
    Re: Running with young kids

Set a good example.  Offer to take him running with you, but don't push, nag, or cajole.  The best way to get him interested is to make it look cool without having to explain why.

For my 4-year-old, so far so good. He saw me running, asked about it, and I offered to take him with me one day. Since then, he'll occassionally go out with me and runs/walks/trots/giggles up to a mile.

Good luck!

----

Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• newenglandfan08 Legend 462 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006
    2. Aug 4, 2006 3:38 PM (in response to runschoryrun)

just don't force it down his throat. coming from another teen standpoint, poeple usally want to do waht they want, so ask him ONCE a while and hell get into it

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    3. Aug 4, 2006 5:21 PM (in response to runschoryrun)

quote:

Originally posted by newenglandfan08:

just don't force it down his throat.

yep

and he is only 7.

Mabye your first run should be an ice cream place or something. (not back though)

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

It's Easy to lie with stats, but it's easier to lie without them.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Aug 4, 2006 11:41 PM (in response to runschoryrun)

Yes, as someone else said definitely do not force it down his throat. Considering you are just new to running yourself, it might be better for you to get used to in and get into a routine before having your son do it as well. Also, 7 does seem just a tad young to try getting your son into running. It's fine if he does he sometimes, but always make sure that HE is the one initiating the running. I think at that age it might just be better to let him experience a wide variety of sports, and get him into an active, healthy lifestyle in general. Plus running is a very demanding sport that puts a lot of stress on the body, and it might not be good to have too much routine running at that age.

Then again I'm no parent (only 16) so I suppose just use your best judgement and I'm sure he'll be fine.

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 24, 2007 10:58 PM (in response to runschoryrun)
  • runninlaw Amateur 983 posts since
    Mar 13, 2006
    7. Aug 7, 2006 8:06 PM (in response to runschoryrun)

I agree with the "don't push it down his throat" 100%, but I also think encouraging kids to exercise is terrific, and I don't think 7 is too young.  No, you shouldn't try to get him to jog 3 times a week, but you can encourage him when he does run (even if in playing or whatever).  I think most important is being a role model.  Since I run all the time, my 3 and 5 year old boys constantly want to go with me.  We run the cul de sac together (about .2 miles) once every couple of weeks.  These days my 5 year old likes to ride his bike alongside DH when he runs (3-3.5 miles).

After my first marathon, I went to cheer my cousin on in hers and I asked my 5 yo son if he wanted to do the kid's race (.6 miles). He did it, he loved it and he is so proud of his medal (they all got one), t-shirt and bib number. He also learned that you do your best by running your best - i.e. you don't have to win the race. Both boys did a kid's dash a couple weeks ago when I did my 1 mile race and they loved it.

So, my advice is give DS the opportunity and be a good role model and he may just turn into a runner (or anything other than a couch potato!).

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Aug 8, 2006 1:40 AM (in response to runschoryrun)

So now we get to see all of the lurking parents in Way Cool Running... 

• runawaymum Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Aug 8, 2006 2:00 AM (in response to runschoryrun)

Lurking parent here ... I'm glad someone else bought this up, my nearly four year old has run a couple of times at the beginning of my run and I was absolutely astounded she can do a kilometer no problems, but I did wonder if this is ok for her age? Absolutely agree ...dont push them, and keep it fun. She loves running but mostly rides her bike with me or goes in the buggy for long runs.

• BlueLawScribe Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2008
    10. Sep 23, 2008 9:05 PM (in response to runschoryrun)

My nearly 5-year-old son loves to run with me. He asks to go for a run. Sometimes we run a mile or so. Sometimes we run to the park and then play at the park. Also, we hitch up his 'Tug-a-Bug' tandem trailer to the back of my bike and go bike riding. I agree don't force it.

• NurseTonya Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 15, 2008
    11. Dec 16, 2008 2:23 PM (in response to runschoryrun)

Hi, my daughters are 7 and 6 and all I did to encourage them was telling them I was going to run around the neighborhood, and they wanted to come with me. Then when I signed up for my first 5K that was this past weekend, I asked if they wanted to do the kids' fun run (I think it was 1/4 mile), and they were excited about it. Getting matching outfits for us was also fun. We got pink, but perhaps blue would be better for you and your son! Or even a matching hat. Having a special thing to wear when we do an activity seems to make it more fun for my girls. Many runs have kids' runs, so they can do their own run then cheer you on while you do your own (with another adult to watch them of course). Going to the race together was a fun event for my family and we got some great pictures, and better yet, great memories. I can't wait to do it again!

Attachments:

"I've got running fever. Which is better than having the runs....or a fever," Bill (my fiance), who came up with this when I was looking for a quote for my signature.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...