Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5010 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2008 8:01 AM by mrf040 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • erin09015 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 16, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Sep 16, 2006 10:07 PM (in response to ian614)
    Re: Mile times?

Everybody also needs to keep in mind that a girl's time gets worse as we get older.  It should be easier for a 12-13 year old to run faster if they are training properly because they haven't developed yet.  I'm 5' 6" and when I was 13 I was probably 5'4" and weighed 100 lbs.  Im now 5' 6" and weigh 135.  That is a huge weight difference for only two inches and I am not even remotely overweight.  My BFI is only 14.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    46. Sep 17, 2006 8:46 PM (in response to ian614)

Aren't girls meant to be > 17% BFI? Better be careful with that.

• SullyXC Amateur 20 posts since
    Sep 23, 2006
    47. Sep 24, 2006 3:47 PM (in response to ian614)

my best mile time is 5:15 and my best 2 miles is 11:20 im a freshman guy

• letchitsa1 Amateur 20 posts since
    Oct 13, 2007
    48. Sep 24, 2006 4:30 PM (in response to ian614)

quote:

Originally posted by bruncle:

Aren't girls meant to be > 17% BFI? Better be careful with that.

I believe 18-24% is the norm. That said, though, it is generally after puberty. My BFI was 10% up until I graduated high school. (I was 5'8" and 115 when I graduated) As I got older, it adjusted itself naturally. The same thing will likely happen to Erin, as it does with most girls as they mature. If she's still at 14% when she's in her mid to late 20s, then I'd start to worry.

----

Letchitsa1[/URL" target="_blank">

MyLog[/URL" target="_blank">

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    49. Sep 24, 2006 4:43 PM (in response to ian614)

She probably doesn't have a period.
    (ouch)

How come I am lighter than you and taller than you.  (5'9 130)

• TeleTurner Pro 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    50. Sep 24, 2006 4:52 PM (in response to ian614)

w00t for being skinny, 5'10 120 lbs.  hellz ya.  I was 5'10 115 before i started summer running.  I gain weight from running :P

Sep 26, 2005
    51. Sep 24, 2006 6:37 PM (in response to ian614)

Do you really think it's wise to start boasting about how skinny you are, especially on a running forum?

I've never run a mile, and probably never will. Can't really see myself running track in the near future.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    52. Sep 24, 2006 6:55 PM (in response to ian614)

quote:

I've never run a mile, and probably never will. Can't really see myself running track in the near future.

And yet you started posting at Way Cool RUNNING?

[insert your explanation here]

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I mean I don't mind. Maybe you do a bunch of cross training. I know that there's topics on this site about that too. Not to mention lots of good info for atheletes in general, runner or not. Just wondering about what brought you here...

Jan 29, 2006
    53. Sep 24, 2006 7:09 PM (in response to ian614)

I think he was saying that he has never competed in the mile.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• kjb runner Legend 353 posts since
    Aug 18, 2006
    54. Sep 24, 2006 7:15 PM (in response to ian614)

quote:

Originally posted by TeleTurner:

w00t for being skinny, 5'10 120 lbs. hellz ya. I was 5'10 115 before i started summer running. I gain weight from running :P

jeez, that is like nothing. I'm 5'11 140.

I got 20 pounds on you, and I thought I was skinny. I don't know what my BF% is

----

My Last.fm[/URL" target="_blank">
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

You tried to beat me
    Thought you could defeat me
    But how you we ever wrong
    I rise to the occasion
    Character assassination
    To put you down where you belong

• kickflipper11 Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 29, 2006
    55. Sep 29, 2006 10:41 PM (in response to ian614)

wow 5'11" and 120 is wicked skinny. Im the same height and weigh 145, and its definitely not fat.

Damn, all of these times make me feel bad about myself. Ive never run the mile full-out, so I dont know whether or not I could break 5:00. but it seems really hard to string 4 75 second 400s together. I run track workouts at about 72 pace and thats with breaks in between.

Sep 26, 2005
    56. Sep 29, 2006 10:57 PM (in response to ian614)

quote:

Originally posted by SoFarGone:

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I mean I don't mind. Maybe you do a bunch of cross training. I know that there's topics on this site about that too. Not to mention lots of good info for atheletes in general, runner or not. Just wondering about what brought you here...

Well I said I don't run track, not that I don't run at all. I don't run for my school because I never got into that kind of thing. I was always much better at XC than track - I used to come second at my school's XC race but would struggle to come in the top ten for 100m. My main qualm with running track (apart from sucking at it) is that I hate running round and round a circle like a mouse in its cage:P At least with road races/XC you get some decent scenery.

So, instead of running <= 1600m on track, I just do road races. I only started really training this year, and so I've kind of built up from doing 5km races to a half marathon (next week - hoping to break 1:29).

I guess another question would be what I'm doing here when there's an australian version of cool running. Well to be frank, it sucks:P There's only like 50 posters and there's no-one my age. It's good for finding races, but for general discussion it's not much good at all.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    57. Sep 30, 2006 6:16 AM (in response to ian614)

quote:

* bq. Originally posted by SoFarGone:

Well I said I don't run track, not that I don't run at all. I don't run for my school because I never got into that kind of thing. I was always much better at XC than track - I used to come second at my school's XC race but would struggle to come in the top ten for 100m. My main qualm with running track (apart from sucking at it) is that I hate running round and round a circle like a mouse in its cage:P At least with road races/XC you get some decent scenery.

So, instead of running <= 1600m on track, I just do road races. I only started really training this year, and so I've kind of built up from doing 5km races to a half marathon (next week - hoping to break 1:29).

I guess another question would be what I'm doing here when there's an australian version of cool running. Well to be frank, it sucks:P There's only like 50 posters and there's no-one my age. It's good for finding races, but for general discussion it's not much good at all.[/B]

Ok gotcha! That's cool too...you don't have to be part of an XC or track team to be considered a runner. As long as you're out there doing it, I applaud ya. I just thought that when you said you'd never ran the mile you meant you'd NEVER run as far as a mile in your life...which I thought was pretty odd. Well obviously you're running more than that...and good luck with that half marathon!

And I had no idea there's an Aussie version of this place.

Oh and to whoever said reading these times makes them feel bad about themselves...don't. It's pointless to compare yourself to complete strangers and such who are using completely different methods of training in completely different areas of the country. Just concentrate on improving YOUR times. 

Jan 29, 2006
    58. Sep 30, 2006 4:03 PM (in response to ian614)

don't start the whole i way x and i am x tall.

You guys should know that there is alot of thing that go into wieght.  Look at bodybuilders.  I bet they are about the same hieght as you guys but they outway you by 50lbs but have the same amount of body fat.

• Currently Being Moderated
    59. Nov 18, 2007 10:31 AM (in response to ian614)

PR 6 min. flat 5th grade

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...