Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2078 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2008 12:38 PM by Run4choc RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 4, 2006 10:51 PM

Am I crazy, trying to run with MS??

I know this might not be the place, from reading all of the forums but...it's my last shot  and I figured who better to ask than runners themselves instead of doctors. To make a long story short I was diagnosed with MS 4 years ago and now give myself weekly intramuscular (thighs) injections- oh I smoked a few years too. Still have MS but I quit smoking a year ago - In the past I always ran and loved it. Now as much as I try after a little bit of time I just have to stop. My legs are killing me.... I have tried to get a coach (to no avail). I did say "to make a long story short" didn't I - just wondering if I am wasting my time or if I have to do something different??? I appreciate all of your time with this issue that really has nothing to do with "real" runners. I wish I could be....
thanks Michelle

• kjb runner Legend 353 posts since
    Aug 18, 2006
    1. Sep 4, 2006 10:54 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Am I crazy, trying to run with MS??

MS?

----

Anyone who can be summed up by a single quote is clearly a simple-minded sun-burned underbelly of a toad.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee[/URL" target="_blank">

• vista129 Legend 800 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 4, 2006 11:06 PM (in response to Guest )

Gee........what exactly is a "real" runner.  We are all runners with varying degrees of ability/lack of ability.   Some are young ......some are old.......some have experience......some are new.......some are fast.......some are slow...... some run for long distances.........some run short distances.......some run every day......some run once in a while.......some enjoy running.......some loath their time.........some have the advantage of health......some have health issues of varying amounts and degrees.......BUT WE ARE ALL RUNNERS IS WE ATTEMPT TO RUN.     If you are willing to run then YOU ARE A RUNNER.

Now, I think your doctor is the one who best can tell you the implications of running.   As a runner (old.....slow....once in a while......and enjoy it).....I think it is a GREAT idea, but you don't want to do something that harms you.  If the doctor says you are okay....and you want to run........Go for it....and let me know......I care and will be anxious for your response.

• letchitsa1 Amateur 20 posts since
    Oct 13, 2007
    5. Sep 4, 2006 11:17 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by michelle1319:

what? summed up by a single quote? sun-burned? toad? Are you talking to me?

Anyone who can be summed up by a single quote is clearly a simple-minded sun-burned underbelly of a toad.

Michelle,

I believe that quote was a part of this individual's signature block, and not directed at you. If that is the case, it will appear in the rest of his posts as well.

It looked to me like they were asking you what MS was. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe it is multiple schlerosis.

As for your question, mine would be to ask you why your doctors are telling you not to run? If they are doing so because it might make your condition worse, it might be best to follow their advice. If, however, you're condition is going to worsen anyways as the disease progresses, and running does not affect that, then go for it if that is what you want to do. There have been many instances where doctors have told people not to run, they've done so anyways, and it's helped them at least in the short term. I'm sure there have also been many instances we don't hear about where just the opposite is true. If it were me, I'd try running, and if my body is acting like my running is more than it can handle, then I'd back off or find something else to do.

Take care.

----

Letchitsa1[/URL" target="_blank">

MyLog[/URL" target="_blank">

• Professor010 Legend 613 posts since
    Nov 6, 2002
    7. Sep 5, 2006 1:17 AM (in response to Guest )

michelle, not sure if you knew this but way cool running is the teen running forum. frankly, this forum is neither the friendliest nor the most supportive one, and most people here won't have any particularly helpful advice for you. the link that alex posted is to a thread in the med tent, which is where you'll probably get the best advice about MS.  also, if youre not a teenager (which i suspect because of the smoking a few years ago thing), there're plenty of other message boards where you can ask questions/talk to people about stuff not related to MS. 

that said, welcome to coolrunning, and i wish you the best of luck. i give you so much credit for even trying to run with MS!

----

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Finally i have a profile!
    http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=Professor

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Sep 5, 2006 9:10 AM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by Professor:

frankly, this forum is neither the friendliest nor the most supportive one, and most people here won't have any particularly helpful advice for you.

That's right. We're the meanest, baddest mutha f'ers in the world here.

----

Alex[/URL" target="_blank">

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Sep 5, 2006 10:26 AM (in response to Guest )

Are you taking shots because your MS is progressive?  When you run and your body temperature rises, do you lose neurological control of your legs?  Are you in danger of falling when you get tired?

There are people with MS who have run marathons.  But, as every case of MS is very different, you are the only one who could decide if you should run.  An alternative would be to do non weight bearing exercises indoors (i.e. rowing, biking, etc.).  This would eliminate the potential to fall and allow you to excercise in more moderate temperatures.

• Run4choc Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jul 10, 2008 12:38 PM (in response to Richard21142)

Hi - This is not medical advice but just observation. My SIL has MS and has to be really careful about getting too hot. I am a swimmer before anything else so I tend to go there when there is a problem. Runners please forgive me :o). My thought is: have you tried  water walking/running? That might help build/work the muscles that you need in an environment that can help you stay cooler. That is not to say that you can't overheat in the water, but I think you can do more without getting too hot. You can also slow down and you will cool off quickly. Just a thought. God Bless.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...