Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2416 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2006 10:28 PM by mep5555 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Runner for Jesus Pro 119 posts since
    Aug 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 18, 2006 4:28 PM (in response to JKat059)
    Re: Times in 5K

quote:

Originally posted by bruncle:

however, I'm still not very comfortable with the idea of a 10 year old girl running 5km races. Talk to your coach about it (I assume you have one if you're running in nationals). You've done really well so far, and I don't think you want to mess up all the hard work you've done by over training or getting injured.

PUH-LEEZE. No offense but it seems that most of these people are just jealous that they're getting creamed by a 10-year-old girl. I see no problem with her running at this age and as long as her coach or personal trainer or whoever, knows what they're doing than she should be ok.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    31. Sep 18, 2006 8:36 PM (in response to JKat059)

quote:

Originally posted by Runner for Jesus:

PUH-LEEZE. No offense but it seems that most of these people are just jealous that they're getting creamed by a 10-year-old girl. I see no problem with her running at this age and as long as her coach or personal trainer or whoever, knows what they're doing than she should be ok.

Well firstly I don't think that's true - most people here seem to run sub 23 for 5k, and secondly it's entirely irrelevant.
    Have a look at the info available on the web. Everywhere I looked said it was inadvisable for kids her age to run 5k. The longest event they should be running is 1600m. It would be like a 16 year old running a marathon - the risk of injury is too high because their body is still growing.

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    32. Sep 18, 2006 10:37 PM (in response to JKat059)

quote:

........ as long as her coach or personal trainer or whoever, knows what they're doing.......

problem #1: a contradictory statement

any personal coach/trainer working longterm with a 10 year old doesnt know what they're doing to begin with.

• Cully092 Legend 373 posts since
    Jul 4, 2002
    34. Dec 24, 2007 11:48 PM (in response to JKat059)

quote:

Or some of these people dont want to see a fellow runner get injured or burnt out... ...

Edit: No ones telling her to stop running, just to be careful and not push herself...

----

"when all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed"

Cullen[/URL" target="_blank">

Theres no limit,
    limits in your own mind
    the limit is what you limit yourself to. I have no
    limits. I can do anything I want" #0

[http://This message has been edited by Cully (edited Sep-20-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Cully (edited Sep-20-2006).]

• zapper93 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 9, 2006
    35. Sep 20, 2006 11:04 AM (in response to JKat059)

quote:

Originally posted by kjb runner:

pics or shens

hold up a piece of paper that says "i am a cool runner" on it, take a picture and I will believe that you are a 10 year old girl. Otherwise, you are a hairy 40 year old man.

haha gd idea. i cant believe tht a ten year old girl can actually run such timings...

Sep 26, 2005
    36. Sep 20, 2006 8:03 PM (in response to JKat059)

Mate, look at the results, she ran sub 23 for 5km, and 5:22 for 1 mile. It's on the USTAF nationals site (and yes it's for a 10 year old). JKat, if you want to improve, improve on your 1 mile time and when you're older work on your 5k time.

• TeleTurner Pro 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Sep 20, 2006 8:22 PM (in response to JKat059)

hse actually ran 5:22 for a 1500, not quite a mile.  Still very impressive none the less.

• pcxcrunner1040 Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 1, 2005
    38. Sep 21, 2006 12:34 PM (in response to JKat059)

i think if you worked on ur endurance 3, 4, or 5 miles a day u should be in the 18:45-19:30 range

Sep 26, 2005
    39. Sep 21, 2006 7:43 PM (in response to JKat059)

pcx, please look at the information around about 10 year old runners and then edit your post to match what you have learnt.

• mep5555 Pro 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Sep 24, 2006 10:28 PM (in response to JKat059)

quote:

Originally posted by JKat:

Hey guys ease up on a girl.I have not posted for a while is
    easy I have to go to school,practice,and also make up
    all these stories because I have nothing else in life.

I have a simple answer to your questions since we all
    use the computer,we are not as dumb as a brick.
    so go to USATF Nationals site check out results for
    Bantam Girls in 1500. Jackeitha Baker is there ie..JKat
    I forgot I am too young to use ie.

Cool...you ran just ahead of a girl in my daughter's track club...Grace Barber (the coach's daughter)...she finished 5th in 5:27. She's only 9, so she'll be back next year. She ran a 20:44 5K last year at the age of 8. Keep running and having fun and good luck! Maybe we'll see you at the AAU cross country nationals this December at Disney World...

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...