Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1171 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2006 8:44 PM by bruncle 1 2 3 Previous Next
Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
Jan 29, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2006 7:35 PM

ping all god yuppies

Why do you believe in intelegente design?
Why can't you listen to science?

If we have to teach your ideas does that mean that we should teach all ideas? Spagatti monster anyone?

• chumsae Legend 231 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 19, 2006 7:41 PM (in response to Crazy1004)
    Re: ping all god yuppies

Why dont you kill yourself already?

• TeleTurner Pro 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 19, 2006 7:50 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

Haha ya spaggeti monster, i saw that site.  good stuff.  Spaggeti monster is obviously the only god.  :P

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    3. Sep 19, 2006 8:03 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

i concur

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    4. Sep 19, 2006 9:49 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

quote:

Originally posted by Crazy1:

Why do you believe in intelegente design?
    Why can't you listen to science?

If we have to teach your ideas does that mean that we should teach all ideas? Spagatti monster anyone?

Just because they believe in god doesn't mean they believe in intelligent design.
    Science isn't one cohesive movement that one can listen to, so I think it's a bit ridiculous to suggest that. Look at global warming for example: there are some scientists who believe that it isn't man made, others still who don't believe in it at all.

This is a bit provocative don't you think? You're holding yourself up as being better than people with faith just because you're an aetheist. You don't see the religious people in this forum starting a thread attacking the beliefs that you hold dear, do you?

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Sep 20, 2006 1:50 AM (in response to Crazy1004)

I think that you really need to open your eyes and take a look at the world around you. The intricacies of the world are so enormously complex I have a difficult time believing that they were created by complete chance. The statistical probability is near zero. I believe there was a plan when life was created. And the "science" that is often used to disprove the existence of God is often based on guesses. Conclusions are made before examination of the evidence.
    And I will admit that there was a time when I doubted the existence of God when life was not going the way I wanted to. It's not something that's easy to explain but I could tell there was a God at a point in time when I was beaten down mentally by some of the hardships of life. Sometimes you just need to be a little more open, a little less negative, and I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion I did.
    Now I'm not saying that I believe everything that comes out of organized religion (I actually pay very little attention to what the churches have to say) but I do believe that when you die you will have a decision to make. I wish you the best of luck in educating yourself throughout life to make the proper decision at that time.

----

Alex[/URL" target="_blank">

• Mike XC 89 Pro 91 posts since
    Oct 23, 2005
    6. Dec 24, 2007 11:58 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

When people make arguments about religion trying to say that science is wrong, is simply rediculous. Science is the truth, end of story. It is something proven, it is fact.I could give you 50 reasons right now as to why religious ideas do not fall into place with what the world has evolved into. On the other hand, i could give you 50 ways showing how science, is obviously correct.

My favorite is good old Adam and Eve. Couldn't they have come up with something better than that? We were all formed from 2 people? It is pysically impossible for 2 people to produce the population of the world in a little over 2000 years. Not to mention we would be inbred so bad we wouldnt be able to survive. And where did the different races come from? Or the languages?

Know how we got here? Millions of years of evolution from apes. The apes evovled into teh Neanderthal (or caveman) which is very similar to a human but lacks speech and has generally stubby limbs. Couple millions of years later. Here we are ladies and gents, here we are.

[http://This message has been edited by Mike XC 89 (edited Sep-20-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Mike XC 89 (edited Sep-20-2006).]

[http://This message has been edited by Mike XC 89 (edited Sep-20-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Mike XC 89 (edited Sep-20-2006).]

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    7. Sep 20, 2006 7:44 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

MikeXC, it's ludicrous to suggest that science is the truth. Scientists are humans just like the rest of us and they make mistakes. Ever heard of relativism? It basically says that there are no absolute truths. The same logic applies in science. Just because we have gravity here doesn't mean that in another galaxy far, far away gravity exists. Science is upgraded and revised every day - it is not the truth, just the closest approximation we can get. Evolution is a theory not a fact. They can never be proved, because no matter how many positive tests are done, it only takes one negative test to show that it is false.

Also, most people (apart from envangelists) do not read the bible literally. When it says the world was created in six days, that does not necessarily mean that the world was created in six days. What is a day? One of god's days might be one hundred billion years to us. It might be 2 nanoseconds. I think I read something about the translation of the word day from hebrew being perhaps not the right word. The tale of Adam and Eve might simply have been a metaphor told in language that humans would be able to understand. Here's a quote I like from Graham Greene: "Wouldn't we all do better not trying to understand, accepting the fact that no human being will ever understand another, not a wife a husband, a lover a mistress, nor a parent a child? Perhaps that's why men have invented God -- a being capable of understanding."

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    8. Sep 20, 2006 7:49 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

ok, it was cool when we were talking about the flying spaghetti monster and all, but I smell religious debates brewing, and you know what that means......

Please dont make me do it. Turn around while you can folks!

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 24, 2007 11:58 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

quote:

Originally posted by Mike XC 89:

When people make arguments about religion trying to say that science is wrong, is simply rediculous. Science is the truth, end of story. It is something proven, it is fact.I could give you 50 reasons right now as to why religious ideas do not fall into place with what the world has evolved into. On the other hand, i could give you 50 ways showing how science, is obviously correct.

My favorite is good old Adam and Eve. Couldn't they have come up with something better than that? We were all formed from 2 people? It is pysically impossible for 2 people to produce the population of the world in a little over 2000 years. Not to mention we would be inbred so bad we wouldnt be able to survive. And where did the different races come from? Or the languages?

Know how we got here? Millions of years of evolution from apes. The apes evovled into teh Neanderthal (or caveman) which is very similar to a human but lacks speech and has generally stubby limbs. Couple millions of years later. Here we are ladies and gents, here we are.

Like when Science proved that Earth was the center of the universe. This science that proves the world is 1 billion, trillion years old is BS. It's a guess. Now I'm not going to say exactly how old the world is but I would guess about 10,000-15,000 years. From the creation of Adam & Eve that gives them a lot of time to create a population of 8 billion. Also I believe that people lived to be hundreds of years old at that time. Adam was said to have lived for 800 years. I think I could make a whole lot of babies in an 800 year span. And these Neandrethals who are said to be the connection between humans and monkeys could very possibly be the remains of a human from the days when people would live 500 years. Some of the physical abnormalities could come from the wear and tear of being a 653 year old father of 100 children.
    I took all these BS athropology courses in school and I could never come across any "science" that proves the kind of sci-fi evolution they talk/write about ever happened. They are all guesses.

----

Alex[/URL" target="_blank">

• swifty mcgee Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 7, 2005
    10. Sep 20, 2006 7:54 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

it wasn't too long ago that the most brilliant scientists on the planet believed that the earth was flat......I'm just sayin'

Oct 23, 2005
    11. Sep 20, 2006 8:18 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

We'll nwo that you've come out from living under your rock i'll inform you that science has come a long way. 

Oh and alexander. Have you ever heard of dinosaurs or carbon 14 dating? Dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago and we have actually dated the bones to prove what period they came from. I can't even believe you think the earth is only 10,000 to 15,000 years old. And dude, if adam and eve ever did exist (which they didn't) tnhey live more like 30 years around that time. Not 800. Are you going to fight with me about that too? You can try all you watn, but teh truth can't be disproven.

Oct 23, 2005
    12. Sep 20, 2006 8:22 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

By the way. The sediments in the earth (or the layers of rock for you les fortunate folks) have alo been Carbon 14 dated to come up with the   factt hat the Earth has been around 4 and a half billion years.  With most of the years not being able to support life due to the gases/ air pressure.

One thing scientists don't know is how the earth was created. Some people believe in teh Big Bang Theory. Scientists everywhere agree what is considered fact today. Whereas in the years of Descartes and so forth, they were teh only people who belived that the earth was teh center of teh universe. The idea that the earth was flat was not a fact but a widely known and believed THEORY.

• FalconFan073 Amateur 36 posts since
    Jul 25, 2006
    14. Sep 20, 2006 8:36 PM (in response to Crazy1004)

If you dont believe in the evolution of apes, that is fine.  Opinions are like butt holes...everyone has them.

However, I always wonder how scientists skip to proving that apes evolved into humans. It seems to me they skip how everything started. A bang? Well if there was a bang...wouldnt there have to be something to make this? If you believe everything "popped up" without any matter in a void. You say the scientests have proven how we got here?

Personally, I think it is just an excuse to live without "rules". People are trying to prove there is no God, so they can just do whatever they want without consequences...

As I said earlier everyone has an opinion...C.S. Lewis said the problem with being an atheist is that you have to prove all religions wrong.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...