NEED HELP?|

2826 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2007 5:49 AM by dfluet
J Todd Anderson Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 11, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2007 10:01 AM

Hamstring Injury?

Hi:

I have really enjoyed my first summer with a Road bike having completed a couple century rides and one hill climb race.    However at the end of July I suffered a significant hamstring injury (playing golf of all things!) that I'm just starting to recover from.  Unfortantely it took a couple months of not progressing with recovery to finally have an MRI and the MRI showed more damage than expected.  Specifically, "A Grade III/III-B Tendinosis of the right proximal hamstring tendon with at least partical avulsion of the hamstring tendons from the ischial tuberosity."  In other words, part of my hamstring tendon is acutally pulled off the bone right where I sit.  Ouch!   My least favorite activity is driving in the car but I've now found getting on my bide feels pretty good as long as I'm on my narrow road bike seat.  I tried a wider seat at a spin class and it sits me right on the problem area.      I'm finding that lowering my intensity level and not doing much climbing helps me do it somewhat pain free.  However a couple weeks ago my foot got caught in my clip at a quick stop and I tore it again and created a big hematoma.

So, that's  my story.  I'm looking for any advice from others on recovering from a similar injury.  I'm also considering a new therapy called Platlete Rich Plasma injection (a new form of Prolotherapy) that seems to show promise in helping the tendons heal.  Does anyone have experience with this?   

Finally, I'm trying to set-up a winter training program (I live in Salt Lake City so not lots of outside riding in the winter) and I'm consider attending a J.R.Smith Power Cycling camp to keep me active and progressing.  Then starting the spring with training goals to prepare me to ride the 210 mile LOTOJA next Septemeber.  Any feedback on on this type of winter program or preparing for LOTOJA would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

JTA

• Anthony_All3 Legend 237 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    1. Oct 16, 2007 3:46 AM (in response to J Todd Anderson)
    Re: Hamstring Injury?

I would like to offer my opinion if I may. I am not suffering from this specific injury but have battled my fair share. I am a very competitive person, sounds like you are too. I found the best way to battle injury is to rest, judging from my past experiences(IT band syndrome, runners knee, tendonitis, overtraining) the best cure is to bite the bullet and stop the activity that aggrevates you ailment all together, I think the fitness and conditioning you may lose due to inactivity is worth not having to battle chronic/lingering injuries. Tendonitis can be very serious if not treated and will never heal unless you let it. After all, wouldn't you rather sit out 2-3months and get back into it strong, rather than battle it for years for the plain and simple fact that you couldn't stop because you thought you were going to lose what you have so tenaciously worked up to, too me its not worth it. Have you seen/asked a doctor as to what he/she thinks? Please take this advice for what it is worth, I am not trying to be the expert but just thought I would share my opinion.

-Anthony

• dfluet Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 12, 2007
    2. Oct 12, 2007 5:49 AM (in response to J Todd Anderson)
    Re: Hamstring Injury?

I have to agree with Anthony on this one.  REST!!!!  I have the same injury that you have in April and I was on crutches for a week and then I slowly started to walk on it and 6 weeks later I thought I was doing fine.  I did a sprint triathlon and it was a little sore and I thought this is not that bad I am just a little out of shape.  Well the next triathlon I did I took 43 minutes to run a 5K and at the end I could barely walk across the finish line.  I went back to the doctor and she told me suck it up, STOP RUNNING! STOP BIKING!  Swim as much as you want and go for brisk walks.  It is now October and I am finally able to get in and out of the car without a problem and I since it was my right leg I can actually push down on the gas and brake without any pain.  I resisted the urge and just swam, walked for 3 months. I also started light wieght training after 2 months to get it back into shape. 

Happy Healing

Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points