Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2283 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2007 1:31 PM by runnin' chick RSS
Teresa Y Rookie 6 posts since
Jul 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2007 3:42 PM

Is it OK to run a 1/2 marathon if just found out if pregnant?

My girlfriend is running a 1/2 marathon with me tomorrow and I was wondering if it is OK for her to run being she just found out she's PREGNANT. She started training a few onths ago but stopped running about three weeks ago.

Will running that long be to hard on her body being so new pregnant or cause her to have a miscarriage with all the jumping around???????/

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007

Your friend should really check with her doctor.  I had no trouble running during my pregnancies, but everyone's body is different.  There are too many variables to consider without checking with her obstetrician first.

• Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007

Did your girlfriend end up running?  Hope it all worked out, at any rate.  Just a note -- if your GF plans to continue working out during the pregnancy, she should probably consider doing so with a heart-rate monitor to make sure her heart rate stays within the "safe" zone for her and the baby.  Amazon actually has a very wide selection of HRMs, although if you want to look at and fiddle with them before buying you'd probably need to go to some specialty sports store.  Are you in/near NYC?  (I'm guessing there's at least a chance you may be since the Staten Island half was yesterday.)  If so, Paragon Sports at Union Square has the largest selection in the city.

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• runnin' chick Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007

I have to agree that you have to check with your doctor.  If your girlfriend has always been a runner then it shouldn't be a big deal.  You can't start a new exercise routine that you didn't already have during your pregnancy.  My 27 yr old sister ran great thru both pregnancies and raced all the time.  She also had easy pregnancies and didn't get morning sickness etc.  She ran the NYC Marathon with me last Nov 4 and she had her second child on 20 Dec, a month later.  So running throughout pregnancy is definitely doable.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...