Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

891 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2007 2:05 PM by hellohi RSS 1 2 Previous Next
neverenough Pro 159 posts since
Nov 5, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2007 2:16 PM

okay in xc bad in track?

For some reason my team was decent in XC, but it always seems like we're in the last three places every meet.  It's like all the other schools have good distance runners that don't do XC.
For example, today I ran a 4x800 with 3 other slow guys, our average time for 5k is around 20 minutes, which is usually in the middle of a big xc race. If we are all around average, you'd think we would usually finish in the middle in a track race, right? But in our heat, I think we finished second last out of 11 or 12 teams. It might just be because all of the fast people ran the 4x800, but this seems to happen every time, for the majority of the races our team runs.
I think we were 5-6 for xc this year in a pretty competetive area, but if you look at our track meets we just suck.  It doesn't seem to make sense.

• hillrunner088 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 20, 2007
    1. Jan 20, 2007 2:51 PM (in response to neverenough)
    Re: okay in xc bad in track?

That does make sense.  Most people's bodies are built to better suit either one or the other(of course, some people are just lucky and do both well).  Maybe all you guys were just made to run XC over track.  There's nothing wrong with that, that's just normal. 

Don't worry about losing too much.  Do your best and just have fun running!!!!

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    2. Jan 20, 2007 6:02 PM (in response to neverenough)

Yes and no.  I agree with what old hill runner said.  It is that way with me.  I can kick butt at cross country.  (PR 15:32)  But my PR for the 800 is 2:16 go figure. 

Also. Just because your distance team is good doesn't mean your sprints are good or your throwers are good.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 25, 2007 1:18 AM (in response to neverenough)

No offense intended but, GROSS!!!!

[http://This message has been edited by alexanderthegr8 (edited Jan-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by alexanderthegr8 (edited Jan-20-2007).]

Jan 20, 2007
    4. Jan 20, 2007 7:31 PM (in response to neverenough)

Umm yeah that is gross.  No offense either, but is that really you, crazy1??  a realistic pic?

• chumsae Legend 231 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jan 20, 2007 7:35 PM (in response to neverenough)

quote:

Originally posted by Crazy1:

Yes and no. I agree with what old hill runner said. It is that way with me. I can kick butt at cross country. (PR 15:32) But my PR for the 800 is 2:16 go figure.

Also. Just because your distance team is good doesn't mean your sprints are good or your throwers are good.

Proof of the 15:32 or I call shenanigans, because very, very, very few highschoolers can run that fast in a 5k.  I also love how you make this thread an excuse to post your PRs.

• KKrajnik Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 15, 2007
    6. Jan 20, 2007 7:44 PM (in response to neverenough)

15:32..................hmmmm........Thats damn quick.  The fastest I've ever heard of in XC anywhere.  The fastest guy in Eastern Wisconsin can only run a mid 16.

• runxc09 Legend 354 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jan 20, 2007 8:27 PM (in response to neverenough)

quote:

Originally posted by hillrunner:

Umm yeah that is gross. No offense either, but is that really you, crazy1?? a realistic pic?

crazy didn't even post that???

that's probably the same guy (tyler hamilton?) that he posted a pic of when he entered the middle of the ms calendar discussion

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/011900.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

Jan 20, 2007
    8. Dec 25, 2007 1:18 AM (in response to neverenough)

it's on his profile.

o you're right about it being tyler.

wow I feel pretty stupid. I didn't know(obviously) that that was a famous bike rider.

[http://This message has been edited by hillrunner (edited Jan-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by hillrunner (edited Jan-20-2007).]

[http://This message has been edited by hillrunner (edited Jan-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by hillrunner (edited Jan-20-2007).]

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    9. Jan 20, 2007 11:14 PM (in response to neverenough)

I don't think the experiment you've done has much scientific merit. Maybe if you were doing the 5,000m in track, you'd be able to compare the results, but 800m has a large anaerobic component and therefore a different type of runner will do well in it compared to your XC races.

• charlieeee Amateur 125 posts since
    Jan 17, 2007
    10. Jan 24, 2007 10:11 PM (in response to neverenough)

quote:

Originally posted by KKrajnik:

15:32..................hmmmm........Thats damn quick. The fastest I've ever heard of in XC anywhere. The fastest guy in Eastern Wisconsin can only run a mid 16.

Are you serious? In Illinois the fastest is in the low 14's. Wow, our XC team would dominate in Eastern Wisconsin, lol. We have about 6 guys in the low 16's, and we are just mediocre.

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    11. Jan 25, 2007 2:52 PM (in response to neverenough)

charlieeee - Although your statement might have merit -

IL = 3 mile course
    WI = 5K course

The course difficulty - I am sure is different

IL = 12 million people
    WI = 5

But even adjusting for 3 mile to 5k - The top 3 at IL state meet ran a pace that would be @ 5k
    14:37 (14:07 - 3 mile)
    14:42 (14:12 - 3 mile)
    14:45 (14:14 - 3 mile)
    Still fast times (and faster than WI) but not low 14s for 5K

WI 3 best at 2006 state meet - 5K
    15:45
    15:49
    15:56

Which is significantly slower than IL if run on a similar course with similar course conditions.

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    12. Jan 25, 2007 6:48 PM (in response to neverenough)

No that is not me.  No it is not tyler hamilton.  Try michal rassmussin. 

-chum I didn't make this tread. I mearly point out that my 800 pace isn't as fast as my 5k pace. (which was on a really flat road with a really strong tailwind. I bet that everyone here would have PRed.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• charlieeee Amateur 125 posts since
    Jan 17, 2007
    13. Jan 26, 2007 4:21 PM (in response to neverenough)

We run 5k's, it's pretty much the same thing.

But I really didn't mean to say we're like better or anything; I'm nowhere near 14's.

• Heracles Expert 84 posts since
    Sep 2, 2005
    14. Dec 25, 2007 1:18 AM (in response to neverenough)

quote:

Originally posted by charlieeee:

We run 5k's, it's pretty much the same thing.

But I really didn't mean to say we're like better or anything; I'm nowhere near 14's.

IL's state meet is 3 miles.

Only one qualifier at Footlocker (boys) this year, and he finished 24th out of 40 runners.

Wisconsin had no qualifiers.

Back to the topic; perhaps the people who beat you in cross country are the ones beating you in track?

[http://This message has been edited by Heracles (edited Jan-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Heracles (edited Jan-26-2007).]

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...