Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1928 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2007 8:40 AM by Jaymes XC RSS 1 2 Previous Next
DanTheRunner Pro 112 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 27, 2007 12:45 PM

First love or second love?    please read!

Ok. So I am a sophomore now and am really helping out the varsity track team this year. So indoor will be over in about another month and then a decision has to be made. Do i play baseball or do i run outdoor track? I have played baseball all my life and I am considered to be pretty good. I played baseball for my high school last year, but now i am really leaning towards track.

This is a very tough decision for me to make becase I love both of the sports pretty much equally. The outdoor team is hurting for distance guys, and i know i could help them out a lot by joining....but there is baseball. Ive played baseball since I was 5 and have traveled as far as NY to play in tournaments (im from RI).

This decision is really tearing me apart. Please do not just say running because you are a runner. Please give me an honest answer as to what you think i should do...

your help is greatly appreciated

Dan

• beanpole Legend 245 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 27, 2007 2:21 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)
    Re: First love or second love? please read!

you do realize that by asking this on a running forum the majority of us will say running goes first...im not going to tell you what to pick though---cant you do both?

• flkjr52096 Legend 243 posts since
    Nov 14, 2006
    2. Jan 27, 2007 2:26 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

Play baseball,
    Call it cross trainng
    If you don't you will regret it the rest of your life.

From 56 yr old father of four 3-sport high school athtletes!

Fran

• teetime Rookie 445 posts since
    Aug 17, 2002
    3. Jan 27, 2007 2:38 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

I am out of HS but remember friends (and me) going through making similar decisions.  My two cents ... you can only play baseball in the spring.  You can run in the spring but you can also do cross country and winter track during fall and winter.  So why not let yourself experience as many different sports as possible throughout the year?  If after playing baseball this year you really want to focus on track then you can switch your junior year.  (Also you can always keep a base by running during the weekends or even after bball practice some nights).

• xcrunner97 Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 18, 2006
    4. Jan 27, 2007 2:49 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

quote:

Originally posted by DanTheRunner:

Ok. So I am a sophomore now and am really helping out the varsity track team this year. So indoor will be over in about another month and then a decision has to be made. Do i play baseball or do i run outdoor track? I have played baseball all my life and I am considered to be pretty good. I played baseball for my high school

haha i asked this same thing a few weeks ago! and im from RI too! i think im doin baseball though cuz thats always been my #1 sport. Do what you want though

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jan 27, 2007 3:48 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

I would run track in the spring and then during the summer while you're just logging the miles I would play Rep baseball or something like that.

----

• redmonkey Expert 62 posts since
    Jan 27, 2007
    6. Jan 27, 2007 4:20 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

all i can say is what can you see yourself still doing after you get out of high school.

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    7. Jan 27, 2007 9:56 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

Run. 

I think baseball is full of druggies and cheaters and coverups.

Take up a cool sport like speed skating.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• 1CandoKid Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jan 27, 2007 10:08 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

If you have played baseball all your life and are questioning whether to continue or switch to track- make the switch!  If spring track isn't everything you thought it would be, you can always go back to baseball next year.  It sounds like the little bit of exposure you have had to running has made an impression. And I would guess that a season of outdoor track will advance your indoor track  abilities more than baseball ever would...
    Pat

• a kat runs Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 22, 2006
    9. Jan 27, 2007 11:15 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

If baseball is something you still really enjoy, I think you should play baseball. You have two other seasons to run competitively for your school. Baseball only comes once a year...

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jan 28, 2007 8:52 AM (in response to DanTheRunner)

quote:

Originally posted by Crazy1:

I think baseball is full of druggies and cheaters and coverups.

And what track & field is a clean sport?

• Megs028 Rookie 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jan 30, 2007 3:46 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

I know people in winter who did indoor track and swimming...they had to miss a practice here and there for the other sport, but they seemed happy. If you think you can handle it, go for broke and do both. If not, I'd say play baseball but make sure you keep in shape for track!

• chumsae Legend 231 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jan 30, 2007 9:37 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

I'd say go baseball, you'll be able to run your whole life and be able to find plenty of races and clubs or whatever.  But for baseball its not as easily accesible and i just think this will probably be one of your last opportunities to do it, unless your sick and play in college.

I think its good to mix things up though, you may find yourself getting bored or beaten up by running and I think its good to experience all different sports.

Posting this type of question on a running forum, you should expect a LOT of biased opinions, but ive seen a few good suggestions and comments from others in this thread.

• relentlessrunner Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 29, 2006
    14. Feb 8, 2007 2:17 PM (in response to DanTheRunner)

I understand your lack of time to do both because of honors classes so you will have to pick.

If you really love baseball, and it sounds like you do, then play baseball. It won't be that difficult to train over the summer and be ready for xc in the fall. Then again maybe you should try outdoor track for a season and see how you like it. You can always play baseball next year or run track next year it you choose baseball this year.

Good luck with your season in whatever sport you choose.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...