Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2919 Views 50 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2007 12:42 AM by Twigger RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • kendallfemtrackrunner Pro 138 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 12, 2007 9:11 PM (in response to Twigger)
    Re: Dream v. No Debt

from, not for

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Mar 13, 2007 2:17 PM (in response to Twigger)

quote:

Originally posted by alexanderthegr8:

If that's the case then tell me what schools you're considering and I'll make the decision for you. Or you could just flip a coin like our beloved moderator suggests.

Haha right, I'll flip a coin and all will be well. But really, I hardly have even narrowed it down to 5 or so schools to tell you about.

For example, one day I'll be thinking...'Okay, I'll go to Ohio State because it's in-state (cheaper!) and close to home and will certainly offer the program I want because it's so big.' I think OSU is slowly becoming in my mind "the school I'll go to if all else fails". And I don't want it to be like that because I'm sure it's a really great school.

Then the next day all I think about is how huge OSU is, how I don't like the campus, and how I don't even like Ohio...so then I start considering schools out west in Arizona, Colorado, or Montana where the scenery is beautiful, the towns/lifestyle is great, but the cost will be higher and I'll be far from home (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

See I can't even make up my mind about in-state or out-of-state. Maybe I should just pop on up to Canada lol. I guess I really just need to sit down and research as much as possible because I admit I haven't done much of that yet.

I hope that post makes some sort of sense 

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Mar 13, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to Twigger)

Canada is cheap, certainly something to consider. Tuition is only about $5000 at any school (even less in Quebec) and for a foreigner the most you'll pay is around $10,000. That's really not bad considering that there are not too many universities here that aren't quality schools. Heck even Windsor's pretty good. Plus Canadian schools are so gung ho on diversity that they'll let foreigners in with substandard marks and have plenty of government money to throw at you in the way of scholarships. If you have marks over 90% then school will cost next to nothing, over 95% and it's almost guaranteed to be free.

As far as the OSU thing goes I would advise against it. I mean the school's name is after a tree. Or is it even a tree? It may be a bush, I'm not really sure. Whatever it is it's stupid. Also if you don't like the city/state/people where you're going to school then you probably won't enjoy school. Environment should actually be one of the top considerations when looking at schools.

Dec 14, 2007
    34. Mar 13, 2007 8:35 PM (in response to Twigger)

quote:

Originally posted by Twigger:

That may be true alex but Windsor is dirty. (OSU is too, in my mind at least, its a concrete campus   )

Windsor's only dirty around the school campus. 

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    35. Dec 25, 2007 1:58 AM (in response to Twigger)

quote:

Originally posted by alexanderthegr8:

As far as the OSU thing goes I would advise against it. I mean the school's name is after a tree. Or is it even a tree? It may be a bush, I'm not really sure. Whatever it is it's stupid. Also if you don't like the city/state/people where you're going to school then you probably won't enjoy school. Environment should actually be one of the top considerations when looking at schools.

You're right, the whole Buckeye mascot is lame. (It's a tree btw lol) Maybe the fact that I haven't lived here my whole life accounts for my pretty much non-existant Buckeye pride...although I must admit the OSU/Michigan rivalry can be kinda fun, even though I don't really like football.

Well although I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay in the US, I'll still keep Canada in mind. Then there's always study-abroad programs to consider...ahhh! Better pick a college first lol.

[http://This message has been edited by SoFarGone (edited Mar-14-2007).|http://This message has been edited by SoFarGone (edited Mar-14-2007).]

• neverenough Pro 159 posts since
    Nov 5, 2006
    36. Mar 16, 2007 7:28 PM (in response to Twigger)

This is becoming the college thread, so I'll post my problems here..

I applied to 2 colleges, and I was pretty much expecting to get accepted into both, but today I learned I got accepted into one and waitlisted in the other one.  If the schools switched places, it might not be a problem, because the one I'm on the list for is the one I was leaning towards.  Now I feel like I don't even have a choice any more.  What are the chances of getting in if you are on the wait list?  Pretty slim, I assume.

Dec 14, 2007
    37. Mar 17, 2007 3:34 PM (in response to Twigger)

Well I assume you have some time before you need to let the one school know if you're going or not. Stretch it to the deadline and wait to see what you hear from the other school. Even after that I imagine you'd only need to send a small deposit. Most of the time however if you are on the waitlist you will get in eventually but that doesn't mean you should close the door to the other school yet.

Dec 14, 2007
    39. Apr 2, 2007 9:07 PM (in response to Twigger)

That's super news B.
    I'm sure that you'll have a great feeling of relief in the next couple of days.
    Now just don't get kicked out of rez in your first year like some idiots do. 

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    40. Apr 2, 2007 9:52 PM (in response to Twigger)

quote:

For anyone that wants to know the school is Indiana University of Pennsylvania.....

there's one that'll throw you for a loop

• unenlightend Pro 159 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Apr 2, 2007 10:30 PM (in response to Twigger)

Congrats on your decision and your performances that have helped you get this far. I'm actually very surprised that your financial aid package is so good. Hopefully the HC lives up to your expectations.

• newguy56 Amateur 140 posts since
    Jul 19, 2006
    43. Dec 25, 2007 1:58 AM (in response to Twigger)

Twigger

Go to the state school, save your money during undergrad school. RUN, then get your PHD from the best school that you can find. They will PAY YOU and you will get free tuition for a minimum of 5 years.

Now if you can get the funding like you have just said then go to Indiana U. I think you will be happy there. A nice campus, cold in winter though.

My son went to Rutgers for undergrad school then went to Columbia and earned his PHD while getting paid 23K with full tuition and medical bennies for the 5 years. Sure he taught undergrad classes while he was there but he also recieved a discount on his apartment!

Be smart, undergrad schools are NOT what someone looks at when its time to get a job. A great resume, fantastic Cover letter and nail the job interview.

You go girl!

[http://This message has been edited by newguy56 (edited Apr-06-2007).|http://This message has been edited by newguy56 (edited Apr-06-2007).]

• little wing Pro 114 posts since
    Jan 15, 2002
    44. Dec 25, 2007 1:58 AM (in response to Twigger)

quote:

I recently got accepted to every school that I applied to. Now I have the next few weeks to figure out where I am actually going to go.

The issue is that I can go to my dream school with idk how much aid right now but w/out anything costs about 13,000-14,000. With just merit aid will certainly go below 10,000 but I am not sure how much and then idk about athletic scholarships because it is a very strong D2. I know that this would be the best school for me with their honors program. It is about 4.5 to 5 hours from where I live now (car).

My second choice is still a good school but not as great academically and is alot larger but will only cost between 2,000 and 5,000 depending on extra scholarships because they have already offered me a generous athletic scholarship at D1 level. To throw a twist on this, the second school is in the area that I used to live before moving the summer after my sophomore year. I love the area and the people and am good friends with 2 people already on the team there. It is about 24 hours from where I live now (car).

I know that I will have to make the decision but to all of the JUNIORS, SENIORS, and OLDER runners what are your thoughts on this issue??

see what calls out to you. i picked a school that is 20,000 a year with only being offered a small percentage of that being paid for by a track scholarship. but that school was the one that called out to me the most out of any other school. there was another one that cost about equal and i would have gotten almost a full-ride if i had gone there but i just didnt like the school at all. i didnt get a good feeling about it.
    edited to say that i also picked a small school because it fit my learning style - i have always struggled with acedemics - and i enjoyed interacting with my professors and the way they taught was the best way to learn instead of sitting in a room with 300 people and being lucky if i can take everything down from the lectures or stay awake.

----

some quotes worth putting up:
    "I aint scared of al Quaida, I'm scared of al cracka" - Chris Rock
    If you're working at Wal-mart and have 10 kids, stop having kids - Charles Barkley
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other - Mother Teresa

[http://This message has been edited by little wing (edited Apr-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by little wing (edited Apr-26-2007).]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...