Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

946 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2007 8:42 PM by theworkinprogressgirl RSS
kalkath Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 7, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 25, 2007 2:28 AM

I can't loose weight

I've been running 3 months now and haven't lost a pound!!  what am I doing wrong?  I'm getting frustrated and loosing motivation

----

[http://This message has been edited by kalkath (edited May-17-2007).|http://This message has been edited by kalkath (edited May-17-2007).]

• Deadpixel Legend 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 17, 2007 4:11 PM (in response to kalkath)
    Re: I can't loose weight

Eat less.

You won't lose any weight if you just supplement any increase in activity with more food.  If you haven't lost any weight in 3 months of solid running, then there is a problem with your diet.

• starlord Rookie 10 posts since
    Dec 13, 2006
    2. May 23, 2007 3:38 PM (in response to kalkath)

Don't Eat Less...

So why aren't you losing weight...

Why do we lose weight:

1. Because we eat less than we burn.
    2. Because our body doesn't think we need as much calories as we have.
    3. Because our body needs more calories than everyone else.

Scientifically, it is this simple if what you put in the box is less than what comes out of the box, the 'weight' of the box is less.

So where are you going wrong?

First, if you are honestly maintaining your caloric intake, exercising more, and you don't lose weight there are a few things that could be happening.

You're body could have had a large excess of calories before (meaning you have some extra around the middle that's been growing for a while), it is finally slowing down.

Running for a half hour for a 100 lb person will consume less calories based on mass alone than for a 200 lb person.

For me, a half hour if I'm running the right speed is about 1/4 lb of fat.

If after my run I've lost 3 lbs, 2.75 of that is water and electrolyte lost.

<B>So what else can it be</B>

If you've been running for a while and you've been cutting the calories. You may be starving your body of the calories, and protein, vitamins that you need to balance.

This is the camel theory... if your body believes it needs more and your not giving it to it, it will learn to be more efficient, and do it better.

So the best way to lose weight, is to eat a healthy diet. (see a nutritionist or your doctor if you aren't sure what a portion size is etc... this is not common sense. Meat for example is the size of your fist. Bread a serving is only one slice) Its not rocket science but it is not common sense either. North American food is not always what it seems. Read labels.

Overall,

The moral of this story is everyone is different.

When you are running stay hydrated. Run milage that is reasonable for you.

Stay under the 10% rule.

Look at your weight, calculate how much calories you burned from your exercise don't add more calories per day than you burn.

Expect to gain weight if you have very little muscle.

Weight loss isn't always a good thing.

Just because you weight 230 lbs, doesn't mean you are unhealthy. Body make-up means more.

Eat Less isn't always the answer.

Eric

• kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
    Sep 22, 2007
    3. May 23, 2007 3:45 PM (in response to kalkath)

quote:

Originally posted by starlord:

Expect to gain weight if you have very little muscle.

Weight loss isn't always a good thing.

Just because you weight 230 lbs, doesn't mean you are unhealthy. Body make-up means more.

Body Mass Index is the best way to tell fitness and a healthy weight

BMI= (Weight in Pounds) x 703
              -

(Height in Inches)

Underweight <18.5
    Normal weight 18.5-25
    Overweight >25

Im 18.5 right on 125 lbs 5' 9"

• jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
    May 9, 2006
    4. Jun 11, 2007 2:36 AM (in response to kalkath)

Body mass does NOT work if it's only height and weight-I lifted and gained 8 pounds and lost a little fat, and my bmi got worse. My lifting coach is 5'11 and 215 pounds "in season" (he sometimes enters bodybuilding contests) and he's as chiseled as a rock. I just eat less, which has never bothered me. I eat oatmeal or a complex carb for breakfast, meat and fruit for lunch, and salad for dinner when cutting weight, and drink mostly skim milk. But I don't eat much anyway sometimes. I'd say just run more, because running is more fun. Besides, even if you think you could theoretically just eat more-when was the last time you saw a guy who ran 70 miles a week who DIDN'T have a six pack?

• superburtm Rookie 140 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jun 11, 2007 2:43 AM (in response to kalkath)

there are easier ways to lose weight. Like eating LESS. Running is more than just a weight loss activity. Atleast to me it is. However, weight loss is a perk of running. My advice would be eat health(lo fat) run 5-6 days a week and up your pace a bit. You don't mention how much your running so I don't know if this is good or bad advice. But the above plan worked for me as I have lost 50lbs in the past year doing just that. My motivation for running comes from the challenge and the feeling I get when doing so. If it were just for weight loss I don't think I would do it.

quote:

Originally posted by kalkath:

I've been running 3 months now and haven't lost a pound!! what am I doing wrong? I'm getting frustrated and loosing motivation

• youngmiler Rookie 6 posts since
    May 15, 2007
    6. Jun 11, 2007 3:57 PM (in response to kalkath)

I am definantely not an expert on this but i know that you should focuss more on how you look than your weight. muscle weighs more than fat. I have a friend who is my height but rounder and she weighs about five pounds less than me.

• jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
    May 9, 2006
    7. Jun 11, 2007 4:35 PM (in response to kalkath)

Yeah-don't go by weight. If pamela anderson weighed 250 and looked the same, no one would tell her to go on a diet. It's silly to lose weight simply for the numbers. If you don't like how 150 looks, get a kilogram scale. 65 looks real nice. (I like 76 best)

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    8. Jun 11, 2007 8:04 PM (in response to kalkath)

quote:

Originally posted by jeff19:

If you don't like how 150 looks, get a kilogram scale. 65 looks real nice. (I like 76 best)

That is the best advice i have ever heard.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• little wing Pro 114 posts since
    Jan 15, 2002
    9. Jun 13, 2007 1:22 AM (in response to kalkath)

quote:

Originally posted by kalkath:

I've been running 3 months now and haven't lost a pound!! what am I doing wrong? I'm getting frustrated and loosing motivation

that's odd. mayb you should get your thyroid checked. i lost 10lbs after 2 months of running.

----

some quotes worth putting up:
    "I aint scared of al Quaida, I'm scared of al cracka" - Chris Rock
    If you're working at Wal-mart and have 10 kids, stop having kids - Charles Barkley
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other - Mother Teresa

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    10. Jun 13, 2007 10:49 AM (in response to kalkath)

kalkath - How far are you running ?

If you have put on 5# of muscle and taken off 5# of fat would that be frustrating.

How many #'s you looking to lose?

• theworkinprogressgirl Pro 164 posts since
    Feb 19, 2007
    11. Jun 13, 2007 8:42 PM (in response to kalkath)

I think you should skip the scale and look in the mirror. What people see is what they will remember, not a meaningless number, and, yes BMI's can be off if you have a lot of muscle. I am not fat or chubby by any stretch of the imagination and according to my health book my BMI is a little over average. Also, my friend who plays soccer (and could/should be in xc)  "may be in danger of becoming overweight" and she is NOT. She's not a rail but i really doubt she is unhealthy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...