Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2543 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2007 1:42 PM by SingItRight 1 2 3 Previous Next
theworkinprogressgirl Pro 164 posts since
Feb 19, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2007 5:39 PM

Smart Runners

Our entire xc team is entirely made up of people that are on the honor roll and take advanced classes. Is this just a coincidence or is anyone else's team like that too? If so, what do you think is the reason?

• CippyCup Legend 448 posts since
    Aug 21, 2006
    Re: Smart Runners

Come to think of it, most kids are in XC.  I think this is true because if they have any knowledge whatsoever they know to go out for XC.

• Deadpixel Legend 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

The faster a runner is, the stupider they are.

At my school, this is law.  Everyone who runs 4:20-4:30 is just barely academically eligible.  barely.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Oh yeah. Our team is like that too. The majority of our runners are on honor roll, take at least a couple advanced classes, etc etc etc. But after running for a couple years now, I can see it extends beyond the classroom too. At my school, you never hear stories about how "those XC girls got drunk at so&so's party" or "those XC guys were doing drugs last night" or whatever. Think about it. XC is one of the few sports where you really can't slack off. If you're a slacker, you probably won't stick with it long. Which means that the people who are left are the hard workers. These are people who don't just care about running, but also care about school-work, family, etc. Runners are a cool, proud, and quirky bunch of people.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Of course, that's just the distance ones. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!
    (j/m....well....not entirely....)

• newenglandfan08 Legend 462 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006

ur funny whoever made this

i got smart kids to complete dumbasss

• kevinmc025 Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 3, 2006

Don't take this the wrong way. But a lot of geeks join the cross country team because they need some activity to put on their college applications (besides Math Club President) and running requires less athletic ability than sports like baseball, basketball, and football.

• xcrunner97 Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 18, 2006

quote:

Originally posted by kevinmc:

Don't take this the wrong way. But a lot of geeks join the cross country team because they need some activity to put on their college applications (besides Math Club President) and running requires less athletic ability than sports like baseball, basketball, and football.

i agree with the first part of that, but running does not require less athletic ability than those other sports. it may require less skill, such as hand eye coordination, but it needs just as much athletic ability, if not more

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007

i'm plenty smart, but f-ing slow to go along with it, so it never really got me anywhere.  Maybe some day I'll make a better coach.....

• dncer123 Amateur 19 posts since
    May 31, 2007

basicly our school has kids who are training for other sports to get in shape like soccer and stuff.

• chumsae Legend 231 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

quote:

Originally posted by Deadpixel:

The faster a runner is, the stupider they are.

At my school, this is law. Everyone who runs 4:20-4:30 is just barely academically eligible. barely.

Judging by your vocab, looks like you're one of the quickest at your school!!!!!!!!

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005

wonders what the hell chumsae is talking about..
    fails to detect any vocab errors
    decides chumsae is an idiot and wrote quickest instead of slowest

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jun 9, 2007 11:15 AM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

quote:

Originally posted by bruncle:

wonders what the hell chumsae is talking about..
    fails to detect any vocab errors
    decides chumsae is an idiot and wrote quickest instead of slowest

I wasn't aware that stupider was actually a word, but it can still be argued that it was a poor choice of vocab.

Though, I can't be called an idiot for writing quickest instead of slowest, because Deadpixel stated that the dumber the runner at her/his school, the faster they are.

decides you're an idiot instead and that some of you are trying to act like crazy

• xcrunner97 Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 18, 2006
    12. Jun 9, 2007 12:24 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

quote:

Originally posted by chumsae:

decides you're an idiot instead and that some of you are trying to act like crazy

decides your all idiots and this is pointless

• runxc09 Legend 354 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

All of our track and cross country teams usually end up with the highest number of people on honor roll at the end of each season.

However... one of our fastest girls is also one of the ones with the worst grades... who ended up quitting the team halfway through this spring because she didn't want to run and the coaches don't really like her.

Dec 14, 2007

quote:

Originally posted by xcrunner97:

decides your all idiots and this is pointless

Fair enough.

But to be relevant to this thread.  I find that most of the faster runners in my league, in XC atleast, tend to be honors students, and pretty smart.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...