Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2491 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2007 1:42 PM by SingItRight RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Deadpixel Legend 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 10, 2007 9:53 AM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)
    Re: Smart Runners

quote:

Originally posted by chumsae:

I wasn't aware that stupider was actually a word, but it can still be argued that it was a poor choice of vocab.

Can you think of a comparative degree adjective that doesn't need a modifier (i.e. less) which means stupid?

I came up with:
    Dumber (bad choice)
    Stupider
    Slower (obvious issues here)

If I had said less intelligent (or smart, clever, etc) that would have just given the sentence and academic tone. It was supposed to be punchy.

That is all.

• xcrunner97 Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 18, 2006
    16. Jun 10, 2007 8:40 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

quote:

Originally posted by Deadpixel:

Can you think of a comparative degree adjective that doesn't need a modifier (i.e. less) which means stupid?

I came up with:
    Dumber (bad choice)
    Stupider
    Slower (obvious issues here)

If I had said less intelligent (or smart, clever, etc) that would have just given the sentence and academic tone. It was supposed to be punchy.

That is all.

geez big words. i think your just tryin to sound smart now. i dont doubt you are smart, that was just kinda overkill
    im an honors student and im on xc so i guess i fit the rules.

• jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
    May 9, 2006
    17. Jun 11, 2007 4:42 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

No-xc doesn't take as much talent-it takes more determination. Look at a kid whose 6'8" and has a vertical jump of 28 inches-natural basketball player

Kid who is big and runs fast-footballer.

Skinny kid with a work ethic?...um, Cross Country!
    Seriously-anybody who does base training diligently for 8 months a year HAS to be good if they have a coach-maybe not great, but certainly good.

Now look at that 5'4" guy with a leap of 9"-no matter how hard he works, he'll never really be anywhere near as good at basketball as his enormous friend.

Or the 140 pound Junior who has lifted weights since he was six-kicker, maybe, but never fullback.

Wrestling is like this-it does require everything-speed, agility, strength, and so on, but mostly just hard work. Many EXCELLENT wrestlers weren't ever really good at other stuff.
    Dan Gable (best wrestler of all time anywhere) said, "You give me a kid with average talent, and if he does what I tell him to, (work out 3 times a day, hard) He will be a national champion".

I personally think running is the same way-which is why I like it.

• little wing Pro 114 posts since
    Jan 15, 2002
    18. Jun 13, 2007 12:52 AM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

quote:

Originally posted by theworkinprogressgirl:

Our entire xc team is entirely made up of people that are on the honor roll and take advanced classes. Is this just a coincidence or is anyone else's team like that too? If so, what do you think is the reason?

I know how that is. At my college everyone has put on tracks. I, II, III. Track I is like they let you in even though you don't meet the requirements because we have an open door policy, Track II is the one most people are on, and Track III is like you basicall go way over the requirements so you take different classes than the usual gen eds. well, most of my XC was on III. maybe a few of us were on II. and they are all practically straight A students or almost are. I started at I because of my low ACT score but got moved to II because I got good enough grades. Also it seems like most my team has alittle bit of Type A personality characteristics so I have often wondered if there is a correlation between cross-country runners and being really good at acedemics and do a million other things too.. It might be that that both require alot of discipline that most people don't have.

----

some quotes worth putting up:
    "I aint scared of al Quaida, I'm scared of al cracka" - Chris Rock
    If you're working at Wal-mart and have 10 kids, stop having kids - Charles Barkley
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other - Mother Teresa

• Ray69Ray Amateur 30 posts since
    Jun 17, 2006
    19. Jun 13, 2007 11:10 AM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

my trak team-Oakcrest won South Jersey Sectionals, and we have a lot of very good athletes, but most of them are all thugs and are pretty dumb as well

• SingItRight Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 19, 2007
    21. Jun 19, 2007 9:45 AM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

Huh - as far as I know I'm the only runner in my school, so that's an interesting theory you've got...

• XxMoxX Expert 63 posts since
    Dec 9, 2006
    22. Jun 19, 2007 2:25 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

Hmmm, this is interesting.
    The sprinters on track are mostly people with lower grades (except for me and a couple others who take honors/AP and get really good grades, and we were all scholar athletes last season)
    Most of the distance runners are in honors/AP, and xc, which is pretty much all of the distance runners (and me for the first time this year).
    But it's not like we're geeky.

• funrun129 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 26, 2005
    23. Jun 21, 2007 4:12 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

well, this definitely happens at my school. All the varsity athletes are on ap and honors, and some of the better jv's.
    I think it's just because of the hard work factor.

People who work hard in school obviously have the ambition to do well, so they would take that ambition and put it into everything they do, in this case, running.

• TeleTurner Pro 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Jun 21, 2007 4:53 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

I dunno, I'm definitely the dumbest of my friends...although the average GPA of my friends last semester was probably a 4.8 (mine was a 4.3) and one of them is the current valdictorian...

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    25. Jun 21, 2007 9:49 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

GPA is such a stupid way of measuring "smartness".

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    26. Jun 21, 2007 10:10 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

and high schools that would weigh grades badly enough to let you have a 4.8 wont be taken seriously by most colleges anyway

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    27. Jun 22, 2007 12:57 AM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

quote:

Originally posted by chumsae:

I wasn't aware that stupider was actually a word, but it can still be argued that it was a poor choice of vocab.

Though, I can't be called an idiot for writing quickest instead of slowest, because Deadpixel stated that the dumber the runner at her/his school, the faster they are.

decides you're an idiot instead and that some of you are trying to act like crazy

You misunderstand. Stupider is a word, therefore there is nothing wrong with Deadpixel's vocab and he is smart. Because he is smart, he must be slow, so he is one of the slowest runners at his school

RE comparative form of stupid: 'He is more stupid than me' sounds wrong, 'He is more stupid than I am' maybe. 'He is stupider than me' is what I would say. There aren't any hard and fast rules about which words take more and which ones take -er, it depends how easy it is to say.

• TeleTurner Pro 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Jun 22, 2007 5:57 PM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

quote:

Originally posted by the kenyan:

and high schools that would weigh grades badly enough to let you have a 4.8 wont be taken seriously by most colleges anyway

Well most colleges will unweight the GPA anyway but you make it sound like a 4.8 is a joke. A 4.8 is just a lot of AP classes.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• captaink12 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 23, 2007
    29. Jun 23, 2007 11:43 AM (in response to theworkinprogressgirl)

my entie teams like that..over here we have this thing called a scholar team, and you have to have a 90 or over cumlative average for the varsity runners. our team has had that ever since i can remeber

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...