Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2585 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2008 12:15 PM by silvereagle RSS
babybird024 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2007 12:30 PM

When do you do your running?

I am new and was wandering if I could ask for advice...

ok

1) as someone new to this how long should i run for?
2) when i run my body tells me to give up but i really want to get fit and healthy. is this normal?
3) When do you do your running?
4) do you have any adice for a begginier like me?

thanks!!

• buka harris Pro 108 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 9, 2007 1:44 PM (in response to babybird024)
    Re: When do you do your running?

start off easy. Dont build up to fast. don't drink soda or eat trash food. For a beginner I would say start off at around 15-20 miles a week slowly add more milage. I leared the hard way when I started. If you build up to quick you will get hurt. Stretch but dont over stretch. And as far as when you run it dosen't matter.

----

those who trust in the Lord will run and not grow weary.

• Bugmenot043 Legend 353 posts since
    Nov 29, 2006
    2. Sep 11, 2007 10:05 PM (in response to babybird024)

in the morning

• quickchick10 Pro 141 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    3. Sep 12, 2007 4:39 PM (in response to babybird024)

1. The length of the run depends on the individual, so talk to a coach. However I would suggest that you make up your mind what you will run before you start and stick to it. Don't change what your plan is mid-run. Also find a program with your school etc. and try to incress your milage every week or so untill you get to a weekly milage you feel comfortable with.
    2. It is normal to be tired. Everyone handles pain diffrently, but only you know if you are really hurt or not. There is a BIG diffrence in injured and hurt... as a runner you will mature and begin to tell the diffrence yourself. Just push yourself, I'm 99.9% sure that what your discribing is normal. Running isn't a feel good sport.
    3. I run in the morning before school because after school where I live it is too hot to run, at least this time of the year. Run whenever you feel is most convient and when you can run best or maybe have a partner. Try and form a routine, it helps not only mentally but physically too.
    4. Stick to it even when its tough, win you win, it's the best feeling ever. Have fun and good luck.

----

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    4. Sep 13, 2007 8:36 AM (in response to babybird024)

quote:

Originally posted by babybird:

I am new and was wandering if I could ask for advice...

ok

1) as someone new to this how long should i run for?
    2) when i run my body tells me to give up but i really want to get fit and healthy. is this normal?
    3) When do you do your running?
    4) do you have any adice for a begginier like me?

thanks!!

1. It depends what you're training for. A 5k would probably be a good goal at this point, so you could do 4 runs a week with the following distances: 3,2,4,6 (km). As you get fitter, you'll find that you can run these distances with ease. You can decide to increase the frequency of your runs (ie. run another day per week) or increase the distance of your runs. If you do increase the distance, make sure you do it by no more than 10%, otherwise you increase the chance of getting injured.
    2. Sure, we all feel like this when we push our body. It does get easier. I found that I actually enjoyed running rather than seeing it as a chore after about 3 weeks of regular training. Your body starts to adapt to the training and you find it a lot easier.
    3. Well at the moment I've been doing a lot of midnight runs due to an intrusive life and so on, but this is definitely not the best option lol. Do it whenever you have the time and preferably during daylight because then you can run on trails instead of along the boring roads !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    - Expect some soreness, but if you get really acute pain in one area, then stop running for a few days, and if it still hurts after that, then you should see a physio.
    - There's a hell of a lot to know. I suggest reading the topics in the Newbie Corner (or whatever it's called) forum on this site. It's informative and motivating That way you won't need to ask questions that some of us find annoying.
    - Don't be put off by people on this forum. They can be rough sometimes, but they don't mean any harm and if they do, then they get sorted out

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Aug 8, 2008 12:15 PM (in response to babybird024)

I agree with everyone here for the most part, I would only add a few things. At the very begining of running it is easy to get caught up in how far you have run, I would say run for time only for the first couple of months. What I mean is make a goal of say, I want to run for 10 minutes without stopping, set goals you can acheive easy at the begining and raise the bar as you go along. No matter how hard you run as long as you run for 10 minutes its a goal. In this time you should be thinking about how it feels to run, and your breathing. You will have time to build for running a race soon enough. just get the basics down.  If you want to run more then run again and add that alittle to your run next time

Unless your training for a Marathon you shouldnt run more then 10 miles a week or up to 4 times a week no more then a hour at a time. if you want more exerise, cross train in some other sport, Biking, rollerblading, weight training what ever you enjoy.

Learn to read what your body is telling you, dehydration, hunger, pain, injury, and feeling when it comes to food your eating, this is very important because the food you eat can dictate how well your run.

I run early but it doesnt mean its good for you, you need to find the time that you feel you have the most energy during the day and stick to that time every time. Its different for everyone and you need to find that time for yourself.

Like everyone says take it slow and easy you have time and you wont be great over night, just try and stay injury free as much as possible and everthing else will fall into place.

GoodLuck,

Dennis 

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...