Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1885 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2007 6:35 PM by aiman559 RSS
linganorexc111 Pro 154 posts since
Jul 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2007 4:23 PM

Pushing yourself

i dont really get it
i no im better than i race n train better than i race but i just dont push myself hard enough n races

i mean i still hurt dont get me wrong but i def dont run as hard as i should

any ideas?

• juki090 Rookie 44 posts since
    Nov 6, 2005
    1. Nov 17, 2007 4:30 PM (in response to linganorexc111)
    Re: Pushing yourself

Yes. Run harder in races. If you know you're not running hard enough, then you've already identified the problem.

You might also pick up a heart rate monitor and get familiar with which heart rates you should be hitting in which race lengths. Then you'll know for sure if you're not running hard enough to benefit from your training.

• Bugmenot043 Legend 353 posts since
    Nov 29, 2006
    2. Nov 17, 2007 5:25 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

maybe you don't want to put yourself through more pain? Pretty much anyone can go faster if they're willing to take the pain with it.

• beanpole Legend 245 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 17, 2007 7:16 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

so how do you practice pushing yourself past that limit then? I have a hard time pushing myself because of negative thoughts.

• Deadpixel Legend 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 18, 2007 12:42 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

I had a similar problem last year in outdoor track, where I had a severe rash of under-performances at meets.  I was still pretty new to competitive running, and no one had really told me this, but the way I became able to push myself was by pacing right behind someone going as fast as I wanted to go.  I would get ~5-10 yards behind them and decide, I'm not letting them pull away, and I would just concentrate on their back, and let them pull me through the race until the kick, where I would do my best to push past them.

I still can't break 5:30 in the mile without someone in front of me, but in a race where I can pace off someone, I can easily get into the 5:15 range, in fact, the first race I employed this strategy, I PR'd by 20 seconds.  I'm not sure how well this strategy holds up when you get down to the very competitive time ranges, like the 4:30s or so, but I've been doing this ever since, and it works like a charm.

• kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
    Sep 22, 2007
    7. Nov 18, 2007 4:42 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

A kid on my team has this hapen too. He trains super hard and often puts me into trouble when we're training together but in a race he is nearly two minutes slower than I am. I cant tell if I train too slow, him to fast, I race really well, he races really bad. But I wish I could help you figure out whats wrong as it would help both of you guys out.

----

I am politically correct

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    8. Nov 18, 2007 8:43 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

I've suffered with this before also and am suffering a little bit with it now. 

-Towards the end of a long season a lot of people expirence burnout. Make sure that you don't race too much during the summer and a break from racing mid season can also help. A lot of people say that they will run the race but not race it. I think this is bullcrap. Everytime you toe the start line you have a little bit of emotional energy. By the end of the season you just don't have anything left.

-I agree with what deadpixel said. Keeping saying something along the lines of, "Don't let them go. don't let them go. don't let them go." Nut up and be the stubborn SOB that you can be.

-I fine that a couple days before a race or even longer before a big race visualization help. Just lie in bed and realized that you are going to hurt. Prepared yourself for this. Just accept it. Imagine the hills, imagine kicking it in the last 800. Taking the final corner on the outside to avoid the mud. Then sprinting it home.

-The final thing is just to relax into the pain. Don't fight it. Tip you head back and just accepted it. Don't let it get you tense.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• newenglandfan08 Legend 462 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006
    10. Nov 19, 2007 5:22 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

theres one key rule here to see if you have given your all

If your not puking, light-headed, or halluncating at the end of a race, you have not run your hardest

• aiman559 Rookie 115 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 9, 2007 7:48 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

quote:

Originally posted by linganorexc111:

Thanks guys
    i have footlocker saturday so ill try some of that stuff there

and kirby im like that person on ur team
    i train with our best guys but suck in races

but it has seemed like a pretty long season

I am the same as you. I train with out best runner in practice but cant run races. I cant. I dont have that much natural speed and that is a problem. My whole freshman year i overtrained and under ate. It ruined me. I recently have fully recovered from it and i have even more power now. You need something that will get you to push through the pain even when you dont want to. For me, girls are a great motivation. My last hill workout i killed because kinda wanted to show off. And my last XC race of the season i ran a pr for the first two miles because people i knew were cheering me on. The last mile i was incredibly fatigued. I at the end of the race i could barely stand, and was all disoriented. It was really painful, especially after i passed 2 miles. However during winter track i get to run the 2 mile. My first race i am aiming around 11:15. If all goes well this year i should go sub 10:45 and sub 5 in the mile.

• beanpole Legend 245 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 9, 2007 9:29 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

i considered burn out. but i hadnt raced for a little less than a year. and it was like since i hadn't raced in awhile i couldn't keep up with my same mental attitude during races. my PR this season was 3 minutes slower than last year and i raced last year with sever shinsplints/calf spasms.  Every time i hit a point of tiredness etc. it was like i just accepted that i had to slow down...but last year i wouldnt have been ok with it! and after races it was so frustrating cause i always felt like i had less left in the tank and wished i had pushed myself more. so id go into the next race thinking ill go till puke...but still dont  so frustrating!

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    13. Dec 10, 2007 5:53 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

quote:

Originally posted by aiman559:

For me, girls are a great motivation.

Hahaha. classic. It could be a new religion.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• aiman559 Rookie 115 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Dec 10, 2007 6:35 PM (in response to linganorexc111)

quote:

Originally posted by Crazy1:

Hahaha. classic. It could be a new religion.

Exactly. Its personal advice i had received from Anthony Famiglietti. I asked him for his advice and ever since i have taken it to heart, its helped.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...