Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3065 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2009 8:34 PM by NH_Runner Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • COcarrie Rookie 396 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 26, 2006 5:12 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)
    Re: Running in the snow

Well, anyone looking for some snow should be here in Denver today.  What a freaking mess.  We've had about 8 inches today and it is the heavy wet junk like we normally get in the spring.  It's not even November for crying out loud!!

I had to ditch my run this morning as there was just no way I could do it in this mess. The winds were strong and the visibility was about zero. Normally I enjoy a run in the snow but sometimes, it just isn't possible. Now I'm stressed because I think it will be about 6 inches of slush and ice tomorrow morning and I need to RUN!

Oh well... forecast is for sunny skies and 65-68* Friday through Sunday. Gotta love it!
    Carrie

----

ME[/URL" target="_blank">

• skiinwatts Rookie 17 posts since
    Jul 27, 2006
    16. Dec 25, 2007 6:47 AM (in response to Peach4Gold)

Hey Carrie!

I'm up in Vail. Yesterday was snow over ice, so not much fun to run in, but today is gorgeous! Hope it's better for you in Denver too !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

edited - can't spell!

[http://This message has been edited by skiinwatts (edited Oct-27-2006).|http://This message has been edited by skiinwatts (edited Oct-27-2006).]

• jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
    May 9, 2006
    17. Oct 28, 2006 4:09 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)

I don't actually have any warm foot gear for running in the snow, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on, but has been my experiance that your feet generate a tremendous amount of heat when you run, so they'll never get cold. I've run six miles in 6 inch snow 6 degrees (Ok, so maybe more like 12, but I didn't want to break my roll of 6's) with no socks and shoes with holes in them, and it was nice. I got pretty tired of running through some drifts making more vertical effort than anything else, but it was really great. I don't like being hot when I run though, unless I'm shirtless. Then it's ok. I just make sure to cover my ears-they ache really bad when it's cold.

• sinclair057 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 17, 2001
  • WandOD Rookie 12 posts since
    Aug 20, 2006
    19. Nov 5, 2006 5:57 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)

I used Yaktrax last winter in ice and snow. I didn't fall but they did bunch up a bit after 3 or 4 miles. They make a pair specifically for runners that have velcro bands to keep them properly webbed around your shoe. I don't have these, however. REI sells spiked running shoes for inclement weather.

• runandstamp Rookie 15 posts since
    Nov 2, 2006
    20. Nov 13, 2006 5:03 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)

In Michigan, dreading serious running this winter.  First winter that I will be running throughout.  I have a treadmill, but don't really like it.  Cripes, I had a major accident in Florida in January running, how do I think I can train in Michigan over the winter.  Hopefully, will have at least a few plowed paths to stumble on!!!

• AmberYudell5 Rookie 132 posts since
    Feb 3, 2006
    21. Nov 14, 2006 6:09 AM (in response to Peach4Gold)

yeah, there might be rules about shoveling a sidewalk, but what about raking leaves off if it??  i nearly slipped 10x the other day trudging through 6" of leaves on a sidewalk alongside a busy road.

• equinox marathon 43016 Rookie 232 posts since
    Nov 2, 2006
    22. Nov 14, 2006 3:01 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)

RoadRunner Sports sells a pair of ice grips for your shoes.  I've never used them, and some of the reviews on their website are quite negative on them.

I have never worn anything special when running on snow and ice. Like Grizzly said, you have to adjust your stride a bit (I tend to shorten mine dramatically).

Other than that, I bundle up (I've been known to wear up to 3 pairs of socks when the weather is below 10 degrees F).

One final thing about running in winter/snow.  Make sure to wear bright colors and/or a light.  In the snow, visability is greatly reduced.  You don't want to get hit by a car.

• lostinplace Rookie 8 posts since
    Jun 15, 2005
    23. Nov 15, 2006 12:52 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)

I have a pair of the Yak Tracks that I put on my boots for clearing snow off our very steep driveway.  They provide a great deal of traction, but after about 10 times outside (I only put them on to clear the drive) the metal spirals around the rubber broke and they started to unscrew off the rubber, making them fairly useless.  I would be cautious to use them for running, but if you do buy them, get them locally with a store that has a decent return policy.

just my $.02.

• cranston056 Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Nov 15, 2006 2:14 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)

I wear a pair of trail running shoes in the snow.  They are more water/wind resistant and have a thicker tread for better traction.  I live in a snowbelt area, so I see some pretty significant snowfall.

The nice thing, for me at least, is that the trail shoes that I use I can usually find at TJ Maxx or Marshalls for cheap.  Saucony Aura Tr - great shoes and I've worn them on snowy marathon training long runs up to 18 miles.

• itsovernow Amateur 52 posts since
    May 30, 2005
    25. Nov 20, 2006 10:25 AM (in response to Peach4Gold)

Running in a little bit of snow is fun, like running through puddles. Running through a lot of snow is hell, especially wet snow.

I've never had to run through too much snow. I grew up in Delaware and it doesn't snow that much there. When it did snow I'd just postpone my run until the next day when the roads would be clear.

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    26. Dec 10, 2009 8:34 PM (in response to Peach4Gold)

I love running outside in winter -- especially the look you get from snowplow drivers...

Sinclair057 --

I would agree on skipping the strap-on systems (YakTrax, Kahtoola, Spiky, etc).  I used Screw Shoes from SkyRunner website for several years as well.  However, I found that I had to change the screws weekly -- this added up to 3-4 hours every winter (15 minutes per week with my DeWalt power driver optimistically).  Last year I found Icespike ( http://icespike.net ) and got a whole season from the set (well over 400 miles).  Save yourself a lot of time and frustration this year, because, unless you are really bored, 3-4 hours is worth a lot more than the $10-15 you'll save!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...