Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10696 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2007 9:42 PM by yesican065 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
anneliz36 Rookie 21 posts since
Oct 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2007 5:40 AM

happy pregnant runner!  :)

When I was pregnant with my son, I stopped running when I was about 8 weeks pregnant and ended up gaining 65 lbs, even though I ate much less and much healthier than I normally do.  It was traumatic!  I lost the weight eventually and got back on a normal running routine and found out in February that I was pregnant again.  After the excitement and joy of our good news, I started panicking about gaining a crazy amount of weight again and made the resolution to stick with running as long as possible this time as long as it felt right and I was physically able.  So it started out great.  I even ran a half marathon (very slowly and comfortably) but the past few weeks have been horrible.  I almost gave up because of morning sickness and because my runs were so slow I was wondering why I was even bothering since I could walk at the pace I was running.  But the past 3 runs I've gone on have felt really good.  And today I went out and had a normal run at a normal pace and felt it felt easy and great!  I am at the end of my first trimester, so I'm sure that's part of it, but with my son I was sick the entire pregnancy.  Maybe sticking with running is helping and it's definitely help me gain weight at normal rate.  I really hope I can keep it up and that these great runs last!     Maybe pregnant running isn't all that bad!

• RRainey Rookie 98 posts since
    Mar 29, 2007
    1. Apr 19, 2007 11:32 AM (in response to anneliz36)
    Re: happy pregnant runner! :)

Walking isn't a curse! When it becomes uncomfortable to run I suggest that you walk throuout the pregnancy if possible.
    My guess is you would gain less weight and the birth may be easier as well.

• cherylhop Rookie 26 posts since
    Nov 8, 2006
    2. Apr 19, 2007 3:17 PM (in response to anneliz36)

I think running while your pregnant is a great thing to do. I say do it until you feel it is to much. Some pregnant women run up through there 8 th and 9 th months. You go girl!!!

• mayfield017 Rookie 75 posts since
    Oct 12, 2005
    3. Apr 22, 2007 8:48 PM (in response to anneliz36)

this is my third pregnancy but the first one running....I think it has helped immensely with the morning sickness. (It was utterly unbearable with the first two.)  I too am at the very end of my first trimester and my energy is coming back. I have found that I need a lot more rest and recovery, so proper nutrition and sleep has been essential. Running does feel really good, and I hope to stick with it for as long as I can. I also plan on incorporating walking and swimming as the summer heats up.

Congrats on your pregnancy and happy running!  I hope your morning sickness is on the way out. Blah! Also, don't be hard on yourself about exercise and weight gain...you know you can lose it after the baby.

• rolling1977 Amateur 183 posts since
    May 23, 2006
    5. Apr 24, 2007 7:07 PM (in response to anneliz36)

Girl, you're making me look bad.  I am so lazy, and here you are doing so great in your "condition."  Of course, I've been carrying around my condition for 30 years.....

----

Jimmy Legs

Oct 12, 2005
    6. Apr 25, 2007 11:56 AM (in response to anneliz36)

anneliz, kudos to you for running your second pregnant half marathon. I'm not doing anything longer than a really slow 8 miles these days. We must be due around the same time....I'm due at the very beginning of November.

Anyway, have a good run this weekend!

• Lieren Rookie 14 posts since
    Sep 17, 2004
    7. Apr 25, 2007 7:36 PM (in response to anneliz36)

I have a six m.o., and ran until my 39th week of pregnancy.  I also had no interest in walking or swimming or any of those "gentle" exercises recommended for pregnant women.  It took some planning (I knew the location of every portapotty within 5 miles of my house) and I did finally switch to a treadmill and drop my mileage pretty dramatically (from 30-35 mpw to 15 mpw) around week 31 because there was some worry that I wasn't gaining enough weight.  But when all was said and done, I had tons of energy during my pregnancy, no morning sickness, the baby was a good size, I had an unmedicated birth that went very smoothly and quickly, and I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight 10 days after her birth.  And I attribute that all to running!

BTW, if you have not already read James Clapp's Exercising During Your Pregnancy, I highly recommend it, particularly if you're planning on running outside during the summer.

• hongkongrunner Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 12, 2007
    8. Apr 26, 2007 3:25 AM (in response to anneliz36)

Your post has come in absolutely perfect timing!  My husband and I are planning on another child within the next few months but I really don't want to give my running up as it helps me feel so much better and gives me the energy to keep up with my 2yr old daughter.  I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to run much once pregnant.  All of these posts have been so encouraging!  Thanks... I would love to see a thread start to see the progress of running while pregnant and to see how/if it improves it.  I know it was mentioned that some of you raced during pregnancy but how far along do you think is realistic to be able to race... there's a race in Nov that I want to do a 1/2 for but I don't want to be too far along.

Also... for those of you who ran while pregnant... how long did it take you to get back into running/racing after you had the baby?

Thanks!

• RRainey Rookie 98 posts since
    Mar 29, 2007
    9. Apr 26, 2007 11:08 AM (in response to anneliz36)

I wasn't saying don't run I was saying that walking is way better than nothing. RUN!!!

Oct 12, 2005
    11. Apr 29, 2007 6:42 PM (in response to anneliz36)

Anneliz, I definitely second the recommendation of "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy"....I've found it to be very helpful. I hear you on the longer runs, though. I was running 65 - 70 mpw before I was pregnant and now I struggle to do 35! I've recently cut back my daily runs from 8 miles to about 6 or 7 because I was getting SO exhausted. But I had a super slow 7.5 mile run today and then took a nice long nap in the afternoon.

hongkongrunner...I agree with Anneliz, being able to run a 1/2 will probably depend on your dr.'s advice, your running ability prepregnancy, and how your particular pregnancy is progressing. It will probably also mean redefining what "racing" means to you (participation vs a fast time). But the above mentioned book may be a good place to start. Keep us updated!

I think it would be great to keep in touch too...maybe we'll find some other pregnant runners as well!

Take care and happy running,

Steph

• ktesla Rookie 17 posts since
    Nov 27, 2007
    12. Apr 30, 2007 5:47 PM (in response to anneliz36)

just a question....my step mother is pregnant and the doctor told her not to run, even if she was comfortable..that the bouncing is bad for the baby. Is this true? are your doctors saying this? perhaps it could be her age (shes 36) and the doctor is being extra cautious. just wondering, not that i plan to get pregnant any time soon

• Lieren Rookie 14 posts since
    Sep 17, 2004
    13. Apr 30, 2007 7:52 PM (in response to anneliz36)

ktesla - your stepmom's doctor might have some reason for his/her advice, but I doubt it's her age - I was 36 when I was pregnant and running.  If I were her, I would read Clapp and seek a second opinion.

hongkongrunner - on getting back to racing - I've had a hard time with that b/c my baby really, really hated strollers for the first four months of her life.  She also won't take a bottle, so her dad got very nervous every time I talked about leaving the house without her, even for a 30 minute run!  Sigh.  On the other hand, pushing that jogging stroller - now that she tolerates riding in it - is quite the workout.  The few times I've run without it I felt like I was flying!  In other words, getting back to racing has been more determined by the baby than me - I was ready to go about four weeks postpartum.

• hturk Rookie 1 posts since
    May 3, 2007
    14. May 3, 2007 4:56 PM (in response to anneliz36)

Good for you!
    I ran through both of my pregnancies until the day I delivered. Both of my girls were healthy and big even though I only gained 25lbs with both. In my experience it is totally safe and helps you to recover quickly post partum.
    Keep it up as long as you feel comfortable!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...