Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4267 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2008 7:02 PM by elevario RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • joeyverville Amateur 61 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. May 13, 2007 10:51 AM (in response to bmorerunner)
    Re: Are people intimated by runners?

Anyway, I hardly see any runners around, only in some heavily dense neighborhoods. Besides that, mainly joggers who spend their entire run running in circles around a park and who think they are running.[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, runners are runners, even in circles!!!  Your comment might be offensive to beginners or others who like park circles.

• mh1982 Rookie 151 posts since
    May 22, 2007
    31. May 29, 2007 1:50 PM (in response to bmorerunner)

yesican

although I don't have kids and so can't adequately assess your situation, I have spoken to several co-workers with children about running and fitness in general.

It amazes me the number of "reasons" (I call them excuses) that anyone, but particularly parents, can come up with to avoid being healthy. Some of them include:

I have to make my kids lunches (5 & 10 year old)
    I have to take them to daycare/school
    after work I have to pick them up
    then I have to sit with them while they do their homework
    then I have to make dinner
    then I have to supervise their baths
    then I have to read to them before they go to sleep
    then I have to clean up/do laundry/etc. before I go to bed.

My response to that (in my head, I usually just nod and then leave in person) is "do you really think that fit people with children never spend time with their children?" how about the kids make their own lunches the night before (after they do the dishes !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!). I could go into other ideas of how to avoid the excuses and exercise, but obviously you don't need it, because you're doing the running! I think this is why a lot of people seem unimpressed/bothered by runners, particularly working parents - it makes them realise, on some level, that they're just making excuses, and they probably feel guilty about it.

I'm sorry it makes you feel self-conscious.  I'd just remember that you look better and younger than they do and will probably live a lot longer and happier, too (not to mention that your kids will be more likely to be healthy with healthy parents).  Just smile and keep running!

• Trisha Jean Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2008
    32. Mar 27, 2008 6:09 PM (in response to mh1982)

I like the last comments made about some parents & their excuses for not working out. The bottom line is that they are paving the way for an unhealthy future for not only themselves but their children as well. If the parents do not model a truly healthy lifestyle, and they expect their children to take no responsibility...well it's a bad recipe. My dad raised 2 kids and stayed in wonderful shape. It's about making a committment to yourself- there is nothing wrong with it. Everyone deserves some time to themselves each day.

Personally I think some people are intimidated by runners, but it's not the running that intimidates them. It's the focus, drive and dedication that comes from a runner's soul - that is what intimidates people.

2 sayings that have always motivated me came from high school sports coaches and camps:

• The mind tires before the body

• It's either in your heart or it's in your face!:)

Happy trails!

• elevario Amateur 5 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    33. May 4, 2008 7:02 PM (in response to Trisha Jean)

Honestly I think you guys hit the nail on the head. Generally, "running" to anyone but a "runner" is completely boring. Nobody but a runner would ever get why you run and push yourself the way you do. I generally don't go too much into details about my running. Especially not triathlons. I always get the "You're freaking nuts Eric". So honestly I don't mention it too much. Doesn't bother me though as it's mostly about personal achievement in my eyes. The fit look you get from endurance sports is definately an awesome perk you get for living healthy though.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...