Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1226 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2007 2:25 PM by jmhm 1 2 Previous Next
jmhm Rookie 76 posts since
Feb 8, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2007 7:31 PM

Question for the Ladies: Which is harder?....

Alright all you marathon mamas out there, I've got to know...
Which is harder: Running a marathon, or giving birth?

(I guess guys can answer too, if their wife or another female they know has done both)

Would love to hear your anecdotes!
~J

----

here i am[/URL" target="_blank">

• seared Rookie 18 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jun 23, 2007 9:22 AM (in response to jmhm)
    Re: Question for the Ladies: Which is harder?....

I've run two marathons and I have two kids. I can't compare the two. If you choose to get pregnant you have no choice but to give birth but training for and completing a marathon is a choice you can change at any time.

I had really great birth experiences and both my marathons were successful. Both were welcome challenges!

• GreenEggsAndHam Expert 312 posts since
    Jun 4, 2006
    2. Jun 23, 2007 10:18 AM (in response to jmhm)

I've never given birth, but unless I've been lied to all these years, giving birth is harder by far.

The marathon I ran was not that difficult on the body. I trained for it... I practiced just what I'd be doing.

Yes, I can't imagine giving birth could be easier at all.

• jamid018 Amateur 59 posts since
    Jan 15, 2007
    3. Jun 23, 2007 11:31 AM (in response to jmhm)

I have done both.  I have given birth twice and the second time was a piece of cake.  My first and only marathon was pretty difficult.  I had trained hard and was nursing some nagging injuries.  I remember at around mile 21 thinking that maybe running a marathon was harder than giving birth.  Given that my children are now 11 and 8 maybe I've just forgotten how difficult giving birth was.  All I can say is that while both are very different challenges, they are nonetheless very challenging.

• anneliz36 Rookie 21 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    4. Jun 23, 2007 11:41 AM (in response to jmhm)

Haha...what a great question!   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Running a marathon is harder.  When you're having a baby you can take drugs to ease the pain.  

• Elvisarms Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jun 23, 2007 12:37 PM (in response to jmhm)

That was going to be my answer too!  I have three kids, and if I could have had an epidural, the marathon would have been just as easy  

However, I'm sure the answer would be quite different from someone who gave birth without any meds.

• wkm99 Rookie 337 posts since
    Jun 30, 2006
    6. Jun 24, 2007 1:12 AM (in response to jmhm)

I'd say the marathon.

• jansd Amateur 410 posts since
    Jun 8, 2003
    7. Jun 24, 2007 10:05 AM (in response to jmhm)

I have three kids. I'd say giving birth was easier (no meds here). The reason is, you don't have any choice... you can't quit the birth process... the baby's going to come out one way or another. Plus you know you're going to feel great when it's over. With a marathon the mental effort is so much greater. I guess for me, mental strength is "harder" than physical strength.
    Unmedicated labor is definitely not the most terrible pain I've experienced. A blow to my knee in a soccer collision was much, much worse.

• 4boysmom Rookie 1,018 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    8. Jun 24, 2007 8:30 PM (in response to jmhm)

They are different.  However, giving birth gave me the mental toughtness to avoid a DNF.

• yesican065 Rookie 24 posts since
    Apr 28, 2001
    9. Jun 24, 2007 9:44 PM (in response to jmhm)

two marathons and two children for me too.  Birth was much more difficult for me but I didn't get an epidural.  the pain was excrutiating during childbirth, and the pain for the marathon was only moderate.

• KatieLady079 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 20, 2007
    10. Jun 24, 2007 11:57 PM (in response to jmhm)

With giving birth you don't know where the finish line is!  I thought it would be closer with my second birth but...not...it was 2 hours further on down the road. What a rip off.  And the cheering section got really old after the first 10 hours!  At least with a marathon they don't keep moving the finish further away!

----

Dad said a I couldn't do it...so I did.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jun 25, 2007 9:20 AM (in response to jmhm)

When my wife and I were in child birthing class, they said the energy expenditure was actually pretty close, with the marathon being slightly more. Pain is another issue and drugs make the question harder to answer.

• ForceD Rookie 482 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jun 25, 2007 12:58 PM (in response to jmhm)

I have read that some women who’ve both given birth and run marathons consider it equivalent. But as a guy and a 10x marathoner…I just think it’s going to vary from woman to woman. I’ve known women who when it’s time for delivery, they can just squat and spit the kid out without much pain at all after only about an hour of labor. Others, like my wife (not a runner), labor for 25 hours and then have to have a C-section. Likewise, some women can easily run a marathon today…and probably another tomorrow. Yet others…even those who consider themselves runners…find it extremely difficult to complete a marathon. I think both activities have a great deal to do with the genetic makeup of the person.

• rosecoloredglasses Legend 849 posts since
    Aug 12, 2005
    13. Jun 25, 2007 1:56 PM (in response to jmhm)

I've thought about this a lot.

I am a certified childbirth educator. I taught Lamaze for 10 years. (a long time ago)

I used to say, "Labor is like a marathon but you don't get a medal at the end, you get a baby."

also, "Labor is like a marathon except... you can step off the course in a marathon. The only way out of labor is to give birth, either vaginally or abdominally."

SO.

I have been in labor and given birth 3 times.
    First two, pitocin and epidurals.
    Third one, pitocin and no epidural.

I must say that the best experience was the third one, because recovery was so quick, no epidural, so I was in the shower within an hour after birth. Good recovery.

BUT.

I was a big fat liar about the marathon analogy.

I have started and finished 11 marathons. There is no way I could have "...stepped off the marathon course." I had to endure until I "gave birth"... in other words... crossed the finish line.

My conclusion:

It is unfair to compare labor and birth and marathons.

Here is why I decided that:

I love homemade cheese ravioli and tomato sauce.
    AND.
    I love blueberry pomegranate smoothies.

Which one is better?  It is impossible to compare the two.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...