Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1167 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2007 9:38 AM by ForceD
TenaciousB Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 23, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2007 3:26 PM

Running Stroller Suggestions

My wife and I just had our first baby a few months ago and I'm ready to start shedding my sympathy weight.

Any suggestions on a relatively affordable running stroller and thoughts on how old/big my daughter should be before I take her out on a run. Obviously she has already been out on a lot of long walks, but that stroller holds her car seat so is much more supportive for her.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• anneliz36 Rookie 21 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Jun 23, 2007 4:08 PM (in response to TenaciousB)
    Re: Running Stroller Suggestions

Hi TeneciousB,

Congratulations to you and your family!

I started with a BabyTrend jogger which is an inexpensive stroller, but it was horrible. It veered to the left constantly and pieces of it fell off. It was involved in an accident and we bought a BOB Ironman. I LOVE it. It's extremely lightweight and great for running! My son loves it too. It's comfortable and has a shade to keep the sun out of his eyes. I think that the recommendation for running with a baby is 6 months, but both BOB and Baby Jogger have infant seat attachments that are compatible with a number of infant car seats and this will allow you to run at 2 weeks with the baby (on paved surfaces, not trails) according to the websites.
    I've tried a number of other running strollers since I run with a group of moms in the area and the BOBs and Baby Joggers are all great.  The only one I wasn't a big fan on was the BOB Revolution.  It has a rotating wheel, which is great for versatility, but seemed to detract from the stability for running.  Also, if you forget to make sure the lock is in place, the wheel can come off, as I witnessed during one of runs with our group.  I like the Ironman the best because it is the lightest weight stroller they had, the storage space was great, and it came in an obnoxious yellow color that I knew would be hard to miss by cars.    

We're expecting a 2nd baby and plan to get a double BOB Ironman with the infant seat attachment. I totally love the stroller! I hope this helps and good luck with the running!

Anne

• anneliz36 Rookie 21 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    2. Jun 23, 2007 4:12 PM (in response to TenaciousB)

I forgot to post about the price.  The good jogging strollers are pricey.  Generally between $300-500.  There are a number of websites that offer discounts and free delivery though so you should be able to get a decent one in the $300-400 range.  They are not cheap, but they have high weight limits so you can use it until the child would be 6 years old probably.  And it is soooo worth the investment to be able to run comfortably and have your little one in a stroller that is comfortable for him/her too.  It was a big decision for us to make the purchase and both my husband and I are happy for it every day!  

• Jotto23 Rookie 12 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 25, 2007 8:17 AM (in response to TenaciousB)

The thing about strollers is make sure you are comfortable with it. I trained for a marathon with the Reebok Velocity Extreme Stroller, which I think is made by Baby Trend. My only complaints were the canopy would come loose.  My other issue was it was hard to find the same tires that came with the stroller. I was on my third set of tires before a contractor, who was working on my house, hit it with his truck. I now have the BOB and find it ok, probably because I logged so many miles with the Reebok.

Now I have a double stroller and it's like running with a parachute.

Make sure the stroller has big wheels and good luck.

[http://This message has been edited by Jotto23 (edited Jun-28-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Jotto23 (edited Jun-28-2007).]

• javaangel25 Rookie 62 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jun 28, 2007 7:33 PM (in response to TenaciousB)

Baby Jogger - I have the second or third.  We bought 4 1/2 yrs ago for $250 - was on sale.  My only regret was that got the 16 inch wheels instead of the 20s. 

Check kids consignment shops.  We saw one for $70 but of course check to make sure it is still in condition still.

• Lieren Rookie 14 posts since
    Sep 17, 2004
    6. Jul 9, 2007 8:34 PM (in response to TenaciousB)

I have a BOB Ironman, and would recommend it.  I started running with my daughter as soon as she could hold her head up well, which was six weeks (not using any sort of insert aside from those little head support things).      My sister has the BOB Revolution, which is a good choice if you are only buying one stroller and need it to do it all, although like anneliz said, the rotating front wheel is not ideal for running.

• ForceD Rookie 482 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 16, 2007 9:38 AM (in response to TenaciousB)

With both of my kids I had them in the jogging stroller by at least six months…if not earlier. Properly protected, I had them out in hot, cold…even snowy days. I would have had them out in the rain to but the stroller didn’t have a rain canopy. I pushed them until they were six years old respectively. I had hoped that it would also spark an interest in running for them. But it didn’t. Nevertheless, they enjoyed the ride and the fresh air rush almost always put them to sleep.

I even pushed them in road races (when allowed) and it didn’t really slow me down much. In those races the strollers had to start at the back. During the run…as I’d work my way through the pack…the kids would occasionally say embarrassing things out loud. Things like “Daddy, that man is fat for a runner.” Or “My daddy is faster than you.”

Although my jogging stroller years are behind me, I see that most strollers come with a hand break now. Mine didn’t have one. Not sure why they need one. I was never worried about being able to stop the thing. But I did always use a strap about 4 or 5 feet long tied to the handle and my wrist. My worry was that I’d trip and fall and loose hold of the stroller and it go rolling away from me (possibly into traffic).

Another hint: Take a sippy cup and a toy or two along for junior. But, make sure anything junior has is tied with foot or two of string/rope. Otherwise you’ll constantly be stopping to pick the stuff up as junior chucks it aside.

Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...