Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3834 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2007 1:32 PM by Joe_h1 RSS
Annie Lehrer Rookie 9 posts since
Oct 12, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2007 6:54 PM

5th Metatarsal Fracture!  How to stay fit during recovery???!!!???

You may not believe me when I tell you all that I have a sustained a 5th metatarsal fracture on my right foot after jumping on the bed....well, jumping off the bed. As i landed improperly on my foot and it buckled and i suffered a psuedo jones fracture of the right 5th metatarsal. My orthopod says it's right between a midshaft and jones fracture. I'm in an Aircast for now. I can bear weight with my boot on but my orthopod asked for a week of couch sitting, minimal weight bearing to go to the BR and kitchen and RICE. I will get re-evaluated on 10/29 to see how things are healing and to then see if internal fixation will be necessary. He does not think that it will. Anyway!....how the hell can i stay fit while not being able to run/walk/bike/swim at this time...or for the next 6 -12 weeks? He laughed at me when I asked about running a 10K in March. States my bone won't be ready for running for at least 8-12 months. What am I going to do. I have been doing sit ups and push ups but I don't want to be lop sided...strong on top but weak on bottom. I am worried about losing strength in my right LE and gaining weight. I'm already in a recovery mode despite the fact that this injury is only 4 days old. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! I don't want to get mushy during recovery....especially when it's going to take place over the holidays. What the heck was I thinking jumping on the bed?!!??

• RDeFo Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007

Hi there-

I am really sorry to hear about your injury.  I know what it feels like to crave running and your body won't let you.  I have suffered from several stress fractures in my feet and have done the ice/ibuprofen thing while doing exactly what you are doing (pushups/situps).  I however, was permitted to use the stationary bicycle.  I don't know if that will work for you, but it is safer than a traditional bike, and very stable.  It doesn't take a lot of pressure on your foot especially if you use an easy setting.  It will at least get the "urge to move" out of your system somewhat.  Take it easy.  Don't rush anything...you want to have a full recovery so running is as wonderful as it can be when you do finally get back to it.  Good Luck.

• east side runner Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007

Hi Annie,

I don't know about pseudo Jones fractures, but Jones fractures can be tough to heal. Nevertheless, 8-12 months for a return to running sounds long. I think eight to twelve weeks recovery time for a Jones fracture (with a bone screw) before returning to running is more common. I have several suggestions:

1. Look into getting yourself a swim belt (e.g., an Aqua Jogger). If you're an experienced runner, you'll be able to maintain most of your running fitness with a swim belt that allows you to maintain proper running form at the deep end of the pool. It ain't running, and it may drive you insane, but at least you won't have to watch your muscles atrophy while your foot heals. It's non-weight-bearing exercise, but it may flex your foot too much, so check with your orthopedist first. Swimming laps also works, but may damage your knees and won't exercise the same muscles that water running does.

2. Ask your orthopedist about bicycling after 3-6 weeks.

3. For better cross-training than push-ups and sit-ups, try Pilates (get yourself a home instruction video, e.g., classic Pilates). Most Pilates exercises won't involve weight-bearing on your injured foot, either, but the rest of your body will get some well-balanced strength training.

4. If your orthopedist seems a little too anti-running, find an orthopedist who runs. They're the most likely ones to understand why you want to return to running and to be able to figure out how to get you back to healthy running as soon as possible.

Good luck, and hang in there!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

first off listen to your doc you do something silly and push it you will be injured longer. But check w/ your doc but when I broke my fifth metatarsal I was allowed to swim on it - no weight bearing involved w/ swimming. also check if deep water running is ok - basically it is going to the deep end of the pool w/ a float belt and running in the water- it is very dull and very hard. be patient and return to running slowly and carefully. good luck!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...