Skip navigation

7088 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2007 6:42 PM by Michael_Taylor RSS 1 2 Previous Next
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2007 3:52 PM

Did Alex Rodriguez Attempt to Upstage Game 4?

There has been a lot of talk about the timing of Alex Rodriguez as he opted out of the final three seasons of his contract with the New York Yankees, which came in the middle of Game 4 of the World Series Sunday, October 28, 2007. Personally, I don't think it was necessary to do in the middle of what ended up being the final game in the 2007 World Series. I wouldn't doubt A-Rod to try to take the stage over such a big game in history and it's not like it's hard for one of the best players in the league to do either, which I believe he knows and should have respected. The attention should have been solely on the two teams, the Boston Red Sox and the Colorado Rockies, who earned the right to be in the spotlight. That's my take on it. What is yours?

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Oct 29, 2007 4:36 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Did Alex Rodriguez Attempt to Upstage Game 4?

I'm sure Scott Boras had some influence on the timing of the announcement.  The announcement really didn't matter to me other than to make me happy that he won't be a Yankee any more.  The fans there don't deserve him.

• vic<3jas Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    2. Oct 29, 2007 6:17 PM (in response to saraallent)

I agree that  A Rod did his best to get into the World Series, and no i dont mean by hitting .267 in the post season with 4 hits because....well...that wasnt good enough.  But his stellar regular season stats were good enough to earn him the MVP and as an honeree he should have been present to wave his cap to the Rocktober fans...but A Rod was nowhere to be found.  His lack of appearence said more to the fans (And NON-fans) than if A Rod had actually shown up.  Whether it was a statement that he was unhappy that he was not actually in the World Series or that the rivaled Sox were im not one to judge...but it must have meant something, especially followed by his plans to leave the Yankees.  Although, I feel it was a bad time to do it (basesball etiquet states you wait to AFTER not DURING the World Series to announce plans like that) the fopa was not all A RODs fault, the interuption and focus by the EVER annoying FOX announcers, was just as frustrating to this baseball fan.

• JBan Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    3. Oct 29, 2007 9:22 PM (in response to saraallent)

A-Rod tried to steal the spotlight and you are right Fox Sports announcers didn't help much by keeping the focus on the game at hand either. I think A-Rod is immature and is acting like a baby. He makes great money and plays for the Yankees, a team that is willing to fork out loads of money to ensure a successful team...not every team has the ability to buy players like the Yanks can.  But hey...if he wants to leave...then leave, nobody wants a player on their team that doesn't want to be there.

• CranberryBlue Pro 94 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Oct 30, 2007 6:27 AM (in response to saraallent)

I doubt it was his idea - it has Boras written all over it.  Boras doesn't care about MLB, all he cares about is maximizing the return his client will get - in this case Arod.  I'm not sure what purpose this serves to that end, as it won't make a difference in the final dollar total he signs for.  All it does is highlight the fact he wasn't there to collect his award.  Since there is no economic (dis)incentive the only other option is punative.

On the other hand...........

Boras is all over the total dollar value his client will return to whoever hires him for next year.  We've all heard of the Q-factor.  I wonder if we were all lab rats in an experiment to see how recognizable Arod is?  That he has enough fame to disrupt the World Series with just the simple announcement that everyone with half a brain knew was coming.

There's no such thing as bad publicity ~ Brendan Behan

May 25, 2007
    6. Oct 30, 2007 2:48 PM (in response to saraallent)

The apology is all nice & warm & fuzzy & everything but does anybody really think the best agent in professional sports didn't know exactly what he was doing?

• WV Runner Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    8. Oct 30, 2007 5:08 PM (in response to saraallent)

Without a doubt A-Rod and Boras were attempting to upstage the World Series because they have such massive egos that they can't stand the thought of being upstaged by anyone or anything. A-Rod has elevated his reputation into the Barry Baonds realm. Everything is about him and him alone. Screw the history and dignity of the game and look at me...I am Mr. Overpaid June. I am at my best when the stakes are at thier lowest. I am awesome April - Early September, but when it comes to October I am the bizzaro Reggie Jackson...the complete opposite. The bigger the stage the less I produce. the history of A-Rod is that he can't make any team a playoff winner. Seattle, Texas, NY Yanks...no rings and playoff sucking. A-Rod had the oppurtunity to become a beloved player who had a chance to break the most hallowed record in baseball which is now held by the worst villian in history of the game. But as it stands now A-Rod will be a villian as big as Bonds. Poetic justice would be that the only teams bidding for A-Rod would be the KC Royals and TB Devil Rays err... Rays.

Oct 29, 2007
    9. Oct 30, 2007 11:11 PM (in response to saraallent)

Cheers WV Runner!! Well said. In terms of where he is going next...tough call. I would say the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. They could use another big hitter and Moreno might be willing to fork up the cash for this big name drama hot shot. I can't see him going to the Red Sox or the Dodgers...maybe the Giants, if they are willing. It's hard to picture him anywhere else but the yankees to be honest...his attitude seems to fit in well there.

May 25, 2007
    11. Oct 31, 2007 10:06 AM (in response to saraallent)

I wouldn't confuse personal likes & dislikes with where a player ends up - and it's not just Arod.  The players who take less money to go anywhere are so rare it makes headlines.  Don't forget, it's not just the players who have to sign off on it, but also the MLBPA.  They take a very dim view of any player who takes less than the max contract they're offered - it's not good for business.  For example, let's say Arod gets offered $300M over 10 yrs by the Mets but he falls in like with LA & signs there for $150M over 6 years AND he's the first 3rd baseman signed.  To you & me that's all monopoly money but that will set the bar for all 3rd baseman (e.g. Mike Lowell) and will have a significant downward effect on his contract.

• Fieldzie Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    12. Nov 1, 2007 10:00 AM (in response to saraallent)

I am a Yankee fan and let me say that while I supported A-Rod while he wore pinstripes he never should've put them on in the first place.  The thing is, love or hate the Yankees, you HAVE TO admit that they are about winning first and foremost.  Yeah they may not have the most "ethical" ways of going about it by buying the biggest name free agents and what not, but they do it because they think it will help them win.  This all being said A-Rod is not about winning, he's about the money.  He proved this when he went to Texas from Seattle for $252 million. Who the hell would go to Texas to win a title??? And now by opting out of that contract to be a free agent and get another unprecedented record breaking contract he's proving it's all about him and the money AGAIN.  So he absolutely meant to upstage the World Series because he's all about himself.  I used to be a huge Alex Rodriguez fan when he was with the Mariners before he got all premadonna and diva-ish.  He's all about himself and Scott Boras is probably the reason he's turned into the way he is.  It's not about the game or winning for A-Rod it's about him and the money.  And what better way to say "look at me" then announcing what everyone already knew was going to happen during the World Series (that he'll never reach).  The media should've told him they were going to wait and then told him to go by a box of tissues or go take a nap in a river that he just cried because they won't give him the attention he seeks/craves.  A-Rod you disappoint me!

Oct 29, 2007
    13. Nov 6, 2007 9:17 PM (in response to Fieldzie)

i didn't like A-Rod before all this media coverage and now i really don't like him. he's a good player i'll give him that, but i don't think he's that much better that he deserves to be making millions and millions more than the next guy. be serious a-rod!

• WV Runner Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    14. Nov 7, 2007 7:06 AM (in response to JBan)

I may be giving out false info here...so if anyone else heard this let me know. During a Sportscenter broadcast, within the last couple of days, it was reported that part of Borus's selling point on ARod was his "good looks". That because he is handsome that he is more marketable for teams. I find that laughable. Did anyone else hear this or did I dream it after eating Chinese for supper?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points