Skip navigation

3927 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2007 10:20 AM by Fieldzie RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2007 10:37 AM

Boston's Bergeron hospitalized and Philadelphia's Jones suspended 2 games...fair punishment?

Check out this video from last weeks Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins game.  Philadelphia's Randy Jones was suspended 2 games for his hit on Patrice Bergeron, which left Bergeron at the hospital overnight with a concussion and broken nose.

Did Jones receive fair punishment with a 2 game suspension? Did he deserve more or less?

• nvrunder7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007

Well Sara...I think you sound like your from Philly. Personally, im from Boston and people were going wild about this hit last weekend...which is surprising to hear, because no one usually talks about the Bruins especially during the World Series.  I think that the punishment didnt fit the crime.  Bergeron is one of Boston's best players and was clearly targeted during the game (that was not the first malicious hit of the game) and Bergeron was VERY lucky to walk away from the hit.  Im not saying that hitting should be taken out of the game, but these guys know what they are doing and they know a good hit from a hit that could seriously injure.   Watching Bergeron lay out on the ice brought back really powerful feeling to this Boston fan...becuase I was at the tragic BU hockey game that paralized Travis Roy for life (the hit was very similar to the one given last Sat).   I realize Jones seemed to feel bad to the press after...but that just not good enough to me, I think he should join his friends with at least a 20 gamer.

• Fieldzie Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007

I agree with Sara...Had he not slowed down and been a foot away from the boards the hit would've been just a typical hockey check against the boards.  I  believe you're overreacting nvrunder7.  While sad the hit wasn't intended to cause injure or have any malice intent.  You can tell that by the way he just kept playing after the hit.  It was a freak thing and it is unfortunate he was just far enough away from the boards to have the impact it did.  I think the suspension is warranted because it was a hit in the back but since it was malicious it shouldn't be 20 games.  This wasn't Bertuzzi.  Settle down and quit being bitter!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...