Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12539 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2007 7:32 PM by Arrojo070 RSS 1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next
moroccangirl Rookie 61 posts since
Aug 16, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 7, 2007 7:55 PM

milk anyone?

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 7, 2007 8:32 PM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

I can't believe no one has responded to this yet. If you'd posted it on Monday morning at, say, 9:00  a.m. eastern, I bet this would go 5 pages, at least. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It doesn't bother me, I guess. It's not my family or my body. I can't shake the feeling though that it's somehow not psychologically healthy to be so wrapped up in breast feeding; For the woman or her daughters. I realize it's a few minutes of video, but it sure seems like their whole life is about breast feeding. :shrug: Power to the boobies. 

• xBarry31 Rookie 98 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 7, 2007 8:36 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

"she needs to know she has access to it."

C'mon.  No she doesn't.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 7, 2007 8:40 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

I don't have a problem with it. I saw a 6 or 7 year-old boy breastfeeding in the street in Mexico.

• Suesquatch Rookie 164 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 7, 2007 9:09 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

Nah.  That's ain't right.

• ellenshana Rookie 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 7, 2007 9:14 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

I was struck at how the child looks so much at peace when in her mother's arms and nursing.

Thank you for posting this beautiful piece.

• gebuh Rookie 85 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 8, 2007 12:17 AM (in response to moroccangirl)

logically I'm thinking, it could be ok, I mean how long would humans breastfeed in the wild?  We don't really know.  But all I could think was  ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• cb025 Rookie 140 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    8. Dec 8, 2007 12:40 AM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

Originally posted by gebuh:

logically I'm thinking, it could be ok, I mean how long would humans breastfeed in the wild?

Well how long do apes or other mammals nurse their young?  Sooner or later (usually sooner) they cut the young off.  Its part of letting the offspring separate and grow up.

• makeda023 Rookie 629 posts since
    Aug 16, 1999
    9. Dec 25, 2007 1:59 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

logically I'm thinking, it could be ok, I mean how long would humans breastfeed in the wild? We don't really know. But all I could think was ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I thought it was around 2 years or so.

I just saw the clip. It's unusual alright, but I didn't find it disturbing. I'd like to see the whole documentary.

[http://This message has been edited by makeda (edited Dec-08-2007).|http://This message has been edited by makeda (edited Dec-08-2007).]

• gebuh Rookie 85 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 8, 2007 2:43 AM (in response to moroccangirl)

my point was; how long would it be natural for humans to nurse a child?  We humans have deviated so far from our natural course, who's to say what's natural. 

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Tortoise:

News flash: We're not in the wild any longer. The lady is off her fuking rocker and clinging to her children's infancy. The mother has some attachment issues and is passing them off to the kids.

Breast feeding until the age of eight is not so much the problem as it is a symptom of deeper issues. She is afraid of of letting the children grow and establish their own independence.

• grimupnorth Rookie 204 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 8, 2007 5:54 AM (in response to moroccangirl)

The year before last, a newly qualified teacher at our school was very nervous about her first parents' evening. We talked through all the possible situations that might arise, and she went into her first appointment feeling reasonably confident. However, she was completely thrown by the mother who sat down and breastfed her four-year-old during the parents' evening interview, with the fifteen-year-old who was the subject of the parents' evening sitting there looking like he wanted the earth to swallow him up.

• Ice Cream Rookie 548 posts since
    Dec 28, 2003
    12. Dec 8, 2007 6:21 AM (in response to moroccangirl)

It disgusts me to see anyone breastfeeding older children.  I do not even want to look at the video, the comments say enough.  Breastfeeding has cultural aspects to it, with some cultures that do it much longer than others.  I happen to come from one that typically ends doing it after 6 months.

• jek302 Rookie 48 posts since
    Sep 6, 2003
    13. Dec 8, 2007 7:01 AM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

logically I'm thinking, it could be ok, I mean how long would humans breastfeed in the wild? We don't really know. But all I could think was ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Best I can find, comparisons with non-human primates would predict a "not-so-culturally-influenced" weaning age of somewhere between 2.5 - 7 years old for humans.

• AmericanIdiot Rookie 67 posts since
    Dec 24, 2005
    14. Dec 8, 2007 8:11 AM (in response to moroccangirl)

I'm  sorry, you can slam me, but  thats  fooked up. I think they all need a little therapy.

1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...