Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13078 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2007 7:32 PM by Arrojo070 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • maryk071 Rookie 164 posts since
    Dec 5, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Dec 10, 2007 9:48 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    No, it would not be socially acceptable.

    Breastfeeding just isn't practical after a point in our society. What happens when the kid goes to kindergarten, soccer practice, birthday party, scout campout, etc.? The kid is supposed to be learning independence.

  • tazawa055 Rookie 281 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    151. Dec 10, 2007 10:16 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by maryk:

    No, it would not be socially acceptable.

    Breastfeeding just isn't practical after a point in our society. What happens when the kid goes to kindergarten, soccer practice, birthday party, scout campout, etc.? The kid is supposed to be learning independence.


     



    What if it had the magic 4:1 carb/protein ratio, though....

  • makeda023 Rookie 629 posts since
    Aug 16, 1999
    Currently Being Moderated
    152. Dec 10, 2007 10:19 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by Suesquatch:

    Doesn't anyone remember the ending from "The Grapes of Wrath"? Makes me cry every time I read it.


     



    Yes.  I tried finding a link for it yesterday...

  • Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    153. Dec 10, 2007 10:20 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by tazawa:

    What if it had the magic 4:1 carb/protein ratio, though....


     



    Excellent post-race visual, that.

  • voq Rookie 219 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    154. Dec 10, 2007 10:21 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by Suesquatch:

    Doesn't anyone remember the ending from "The Grapes of Wrath"? Makes me cry every time I read it.


     



    No. What happened?

      I hope there is no 90-second rule at the new place!

  • Suesquatch Rookie 164 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    155. Dec 10, 2007 10:30 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by voq:

    No. What happened?


     



    Rose of Sharon has miscarried and is full of milk. A boy and his grandfather are sheltering in a barn when the Joads come upon them. The grandfather is slowly dying from starvation and there is no food. Everyone leaves the barn while Rose of Sharon nurses him, saving his life.

    You must read this novel.

  • Kawasa Expert 381 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    156. Dec 10, 2007 10:37 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    I had two ideas:

    What about the ill effects on the development of a babies teeth? Kids that such their thumbs or a pacifier are stopped for fear that their teeth will be affected in a negative way. Why not the same concern when the nipple is used as a food source?

    This is sort of irrelevant but can you survive solely on breast milk? As far as I know past a certain age you need to supplement it with other things.

  • voq Rookie 219 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    157. Dec 10, 2007 10:40 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by Suesquatch:

    Rose of Sharon has miscarried and is full of milk. A boy and his grandfather are sheltering in a barn when the Joads come upon them. The grandfather is slowly dying from starvation and there is no food. Everyone leaves the barn while Rose of Sharon nurses him, saving his life.

    You must read this novel.


     



    But now I know the ending.  

  • ellenshana Rookie 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    158. Dec 10, 2007 10:43 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by makeda:

    Yes. I tried finding a link for it yesterday...


     



    Clearly, you're not trying hard enough either.

    http://www.gradesaver.com/classicnotes/titles/grapeswrath/shortsumm.html[/URL" target="_blank">

  • BonitaApplebum Rookie 298 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    159. Dec 10, 2007 10:45 AM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by Kawasaki500:


    This is sort of irrelevant but can you survive solely on breast milk? As far as I know past a certain age you need to supplement it with other things.


     




    After six months it's suggested to provide an iron supplement, but I don't think being a little anemic would be fatal.

    However, I think it's important to keep in mind that extended breatfeeding is done in addition to the feeding of solids. My DD ate all regular people food before she was weaned... for quite a while, she only nursed at bedtime.

    :: Bonita

  • DogMom1st Rookie 469 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    160. Dec 10, 2007 12:49 PM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by bigapplepie:

    Dogs suckle for 6-12 weeks so I guess you should multiply that by 7.


     



    Actually I think that would be

    divide

    by 7.

    quote:


    Originally posted by tazawa:

    I've heard the next Ben and Jerry's flavor is going to be Breastacular Banana made with Vermont Mothers' Milk.



     



    That is one flavor that I won't try.

    quote:


    Originally posted by Lintu:

    I just read through this thread and wanted to say...I have no issue with anyone breastfeeding as long as they want. I don't care whether it's done in public or private (though there are times when it would be inappropriate) and it doesn't gross me out.


     



    I don't really care about how long someone breastfeeds their kid. As long as kids that are breastfed for long periods aren't shown to have any mental or health issues because of it. Which it sounds like they don't.
    However I do think that there are places that are inappropriate for kids to be breastfed. In other words I do have a problem with someone just popping out a breast in certain public places. There should be other areas (not restrooms) for this and yes I am thinking of my squeamishness about this and of course (as always  ) the mothers comfort.

  • Kawasa Expert 381 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    161. Dec 10, 2007 12:57 PM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by BonitaApplebum:


    After six months it's suggested to provide an iron supplement, but I don't think being a little anemic would be fatal.

    However, I think it's important to keep in mind that extended breatfeeding is done in addition to the feeding of solids. My DD ate all regular people food before she was weaned... for quite a while, she only nursed at bedtime.

    :: Bonita


     



    Thanks for the input. I was keeping in mind the solid foods, I was just wondering how nutritional breastmilk was or wasn't. You sort of answered my question I guess.

    quote:


    Originally posted by DogMom:

    I don't really care about how long someone breastfeeds their kid. As long as kids that are breastfed for long periods aren't shown to have any mental or health issues because of it. Which it sounds like they don't.


     



    There's no way that a ten year old who still yearns to suck from their mothers ta tas, draws pictures, names the ta tas, knows which one has the best/most milk, etc. isn't going to suffer some type of issue.

    As for breastfeeding in public(which would really be a different topic entirely) I'd say a lot of people are just uncomfortable with it. It's certainly one the most(if not the the most) natural things that people do.  I just don't get why people are so uncomfortable with it. I guess it's because, as someone else suggested, ***** have become so sexualized in our society. Not that they aren't sexual things to begin with, from what I've read, but we've taken it over the line.

  • Ref041 Rookie 26 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    162. Dec 10, 2007 1:49 PM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    One issue that I don't think anyone has brought up yet is whether or not the 8 year old's peers know about this.

    I cannot imagine what my 9 or 7 year old's friends would do/say if I was nursing them.

    I think this woman needs therapy.

  • pigeye097 Rookie 193 posts since
    Nov 2, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    163. Dec 10, 2007 2:07 PM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    7 pages and no mention of Steinbeck.
    What a bunch of philistines!
    Except for CRB.  She's just an uncultured science nerd(ette)

  • bsmiz Rookie 147 posts since
    May 19, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    164. Dec 10, 2007 2:10 PM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

    quote:


    Originally posted by Iontach:

    Point of information from those who have breastfed: is it possible to get a child to nurse who does not want to?


     



    absolutely NOT

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...