Skip navigation

5943 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2008 7:29 AM by ltubound RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Rock_Stomper35 Expert 44 posts since
Oct 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 3, 2007 11:14 AM

Coffee?

OK, I'm not going to make this a "Question" type of thread.  But I'd like more opinions on drinking coffee before a tri or any kind of race.  I have heard numerous different "PROFESSIONAL" opinions on the effects of drinking coffee before races.  I am a very avid coffee drinker and I do not want to stop drinking it.  My opinion is that as long as you don't down a whole pot before the race, you're good to go.  But I could be wrong. 

I do realize that it is a diuretic

I do realize that it raises you heart rate slightly.

But as long as you hydrate well before, during and after what ever race you're doing, I think it is fine.

Let's kick this topic around a bit, shall we...

Attachments:

Rock Stomper!

Rescue 55

El Paso County S.A.R.

dive%20flag.jpg

• Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1. Nov 3, 2007 1:00 PM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)
    Re: Coffee?

Personally, I skip the coffee before a race or, really, whenever I'm about to submerge myself in a large body of water -- anything to minimize the number of trips to the Port-A-Potties. But like you point out, experts seem divided on the benefits of caffeine. Some studies show coffee before a workout helps you burn more calories, which you hadn't mentioned, although it doesn't seem like you're particularly concerned about this. Another thing you hadn't mentioned is that some people find coffee upsets their stomach during a race although, again, this doesn't seem like an issue for you.

I am wondering, though, why you would need coffee before a race? I mean, you're not in danger of falling asleep while taking off your wetsuit, are you? :P But seriously, you seem pretty well informed about the drawbacks of caffeine (that it's a stimulant and a diuretic) and as long as you keep those in mind and don't go overboard with the coffee, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• itri Expert 48 posts since
    Sep 13, 2007
    3. Nov 4, 2007 9:06 AM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)

I think the main thing is that its already part of your routine and you are very aware of its affect on you. If someone normally didnt have coffee in the morning they could become overly jittery before a race or have stomach issues later. I say if its that engrained in what you do already and you have not had any stomach issues or overly active bladder during a race, go for it. I think there is a psychological aspect to it as well. If you normally have a cup first thing in the morning to 'get you going', you will tell your self you feel 'flat' if you dont have it race morning : )

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Nov 5, 2007 8:15 AM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)

know some folks that give up coffee for weeks/months before a race and half a nice cup or two raceday and really really seem to enjoy the buzz.  I love coffee too much to give it up in training or usually on raceday.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• jspitzberg Active.com Staff 37 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    6. Nov 5, 2007 9:03 AM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)

There have been a few articles on Active.com about this, including "[The facts about caffeine and athletic performance|http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/The_facts_about_caffeine_and_athletic_performance.htm]"

• romorris2342 Amateur 7 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    7. Nov 5, 2007 9:44 AM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)

For me, it causes lots of flem and constant spitting ... or if I'm carrying water, consuming it too quickly and running out.  I'm about to kick that habit completely I think.  It's counter productive.

• jspitzberg Active.com Staff 37 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    9. Nov 5, 2007 10:44 AM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)

You're welcome.  We're here to help. 

• romorris2342 Amateur 7 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    11. Nov 5, 2007 11:03 AM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)

Rock_Stomper.  One cup, I have to admit however - it's a big one.  It's one of those ceramic starbucks coffee cups if you've seen them.  Maybe that's about two normal sized cups.  I usually don't train in the morning so it's not usually an issue.  Diet Coke is out for me.  Does the same thing and gave it up completely.  I don't even miss that.  Coffee ... I'm going to miss it for a while at least.  Doing the Rose Bowl half-marathon the beginning of december.  That is where I plan on starting my coffee-free future.

I use creme and have heard of milk causing flem ... just a few shots ?  I don't know.

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    13. Nov 5, 2007 6:22 PM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)

I'm useless without coffee!  Races up to a 1/2 marathon I'll drink 1 or 2 cups and wait 2-3 hours.  Races marathon, 1/2 iron, ironman I'll drink 1 cup no more than 3 hours before.  I'm conservative just because I don't want to be at the porta pottie too much, and I need a minimum of 1 cup to wake me up.  But other than that this formula works for me in training:

- Before masters swim I'll down 1 or 2 cups.  Its at 6am for crying out loud how could you not.  I guess it doesn't effect me during the swim thankfully

- Before the bike I'm pretty open to downing 2 or more cups.  I'll wait at least 10 minutes before going.

- Run this is where I have to be careful because I've ended up in some bad situations with too much coffee if you know what I mean.  If its a long run over 1 hour, I have to wait about an hour before running.  But less than an hour I can get away with 2 cups and then run right out the door.  Its that magical hour mark to where things in my body start shaking up.  I've gone on several 20 milers in the old days where it just hit me 10 miles out from home.  That was not fun in getting back.  Had to call the wife a few times to pick me up.  But I'm over that now, I hope ;)..

I have tried to race without the coffee and found I'm still at the porta pottie more than I would like to be.  So I guess its more nerves than anything.  But I never get stomach distress in a race from coffee if I wait 3 hours before.  To give you my background I literally drink close to a pot a day, for many years, but still have no tolerance on longer runs.  

By the way if you experiment on long runs make sure you do with several small loops near your house just in case you need to bail   Best of luck!

Scott

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...