Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

24368 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2010 1:39 PM by sarahct 1 2 3 Previous Next
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2007 10:54 AM

Favorite Football  Movie

So I guess you can say I'm on a sports movie kick right now and it might be due to the fact that I'm new to life without college athletics after graduating this May, but either way a kick is a kick. Here are my two favorites...Remember the Titans and Invincible. I'm an Eagles fan from Philadelphia so Invincible is a given for me.

What are your favorites?

• TenaciousO Community Moderator 54 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    1. Nov 9, 2007 11:34 AM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Favorite Football Movie

Any Given Sunday.

Invincible was good too.

I know that I'm going to get ripped for this, but The Replacements was fun.

• movo Amateur 7 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    3. Nov 13, 2007 4:20 PM (in response to saraallent)

The Program is a great movie, can get a bit crazy sometimes, but it's a powerful football film that offers more than just on the field highlights.

• JBan Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    4. Nov 13, 2007 4:43 PM (in response to movo)

Any Given Sunday gets be pumped up.

• SouthBayHoo Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    5. Mar 14, 2008 9:22 AM (in response to JBan)

1.  Friday Night Lights

2. Remember the Titans

3. Radio

I don't understand how anyone likes Any Given Sunday - it has to be one of the worst football movies of all time, IMHO.  One tired cliche after another, and just horrible action footage with actors that are OBVIOUSLY not football players.  I found it very hard to watch.

• SouthBayHoo Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    7. Mar 17, 2008 4:54 PM (in response to saraallent)

Radio stars Ed Harris as the head football coach of a southern (South Carolina, I think) high school in the 70s (or maybe early 80s). He develops a friendship with a learning disabled student nicknamed Radio played by Cuba Gooding. Radio becomes an equipment manager and inspirational leader for the team. It is based on a true story, and I believe that Radio is still involved with the team to this day.

Here is the movie's official site: http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/radio/

I put this movie on my list for two reasons. First, it has a great lockerroom motivational speech scene. More importantly though, I believe this movie (which was released in 2003) was the first to really go to great lengths to get the game action right. Prior to this movie almost all football movies had a bunch of very fat, unathletic guys (i.e. obviously not real football players) on the field for game action scenes, and the game action looked really amateurish (see my comments about Any Given Sunday). Since Radio, most good football movies (such as Friday Night Lights, which I belive used the same technical advisor) have had excellent looking game footage. On the DVD bonus material there was a featurette about how they did the football scenes. They actually had tryouts to be on the film's teams, and as the football tech advisor said, "If you didn't at least make first team All State in high school, you shoudn't even bother trying out." Real football players playing real football (obviously with choregraphed plays, but still real players really playing) made for the first really good game footage, and set the bar for every fooball movie that came after it.

• BigPoiDog Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    9. May 27, 2008 3:31 AM (in response to saraallent)

The list wouldn't be complete without "We Are Marshall"  and "Rudy"...  

• DouMartin Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 3, 2008
    10. Jun 13, 2008 12:31 AM (in response to saraallent)

Great stuff there    !

• SPConley Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    11. Jun 26, 2008 2:48 PM (in response to saraallent)

Hands down it is "Brian's Song"-old school version with James Cann as Brian Piccolo and Billy Dee Williams as Gale Sayers. Check it out...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian's_Song

• xBrianx Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2008
    12. Aug 21, 2008 2:19 PM (in response to SPConley)

Rudy!...Rudy!...Rudy!

• xBrianx Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2008
    14. Aug 26, 2008 4:56 PM (in response to saraallent)

That's how rumors continue....

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...