Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1994 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2007 7:11 PM by stitcher05
tithers Rookie 1,259 posts since
Nov 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 23, 2007 12:15 PM

So, can anyone relate to my biking problem?

I have a new problem. I rode a mountain on Friday. Sheldon got a camera phone pic from the summit...I never saw the pic...I'm sure I look "just peachy" as it was 45F, raining, and visibility of less than 15 feet. Maybe 20.

Anyhoo-as we got out of the cloud and descended down the mountain I kinda freaked out.

Tithers loves hills, but not the kind on the other side of the mountain....

Let's say Tithers right braked the whole time....added some left brake from time to time...

So-now I feel carpel-Tunnelish in my right hand.

Or wrist I should say.

Crosswinds.

Curves.

Speed.

Tithers screamed like a school girl.

• Active Fred Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 22, 2007
    1. Dec 23, 2007 4:12 PM (in response to tithers)
    Re: So, can anyone relate to my biking problem?

A couple things that can help make it go smoother--first, that's a situation where you really want to trust your bike, so the time spent looking at your tires prior to the ride, ensuring the skewers are closed and checking the fork and frame for cracks are well spent.  For the most part, a bike can outrun a car down a mountain, so they will handle well and can take turns much faster than the posted speed, but, the contact patch of the tire is small, so they don't have good traction in the wet.  On a wet day coming down a mountain, (or on a dry day) most of your braking force comes from the front brake.  You want to apply both brakes, with a bit more force on the fron and haul yourself down to a safe speed to make the corner, then let off the brakes.  Just using the rear brake will give you a sore hand as it doesn't have much power, especially in the wet.

After this ride, you need to clean the black crap off your rims and brake pads so they work correctly again.  Once you can get comfortable going fast on the same descent in the dry, you'll have a benchmark, perhaps it wasn't the greatest day to try this one...

• CCRaces Rookie 710 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    2. Dec 23, 2007 6:53 PM (in response to tithers)

I have had that problem ever since my accident in August, which happened on a massive downhill. Now that I'm almost trainer-restricted for the next couple of months, I worry about what may happen come spring. I was just barely starting to overcome the fear by late November, when my bike became one with the trainer. No massive downhills to worry about there.

• tri_coach06 Rookie 521 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Dec 24, 2007 9:36 AM (in response to tithers)

tithers wrote:

Sheldon got a camera phone pic from the summit...I never saw the pic...

Tithers needs to be careful. It's way to early in the season to get INJURED!

The pic from my phone:

• stitcher05 Rookie 43 posts since
    Dec 13, 2007
    4. Dec 24, 2007 10:24 AM (in response to tri_coach06)

Quite the cool pic.

Love the weather.....

definitely screaming weather!

Stitch

Dec 13, 2007
    6. Dec 24, 2007 6:46 PM (in response to tithers)

T:

Ummmm.....it's been awhile since I've been on a bike, then only on a mtn bike.  Looking to do my FIRST tri this april.  Mostly I biked in Phoenix when I was in grad school.  Went actual mtn biking once or twice, but didn't like the feeling of gravity being in control instead of me.  So, I mostly kept the big bike on the roads, where I felt a bit more confident.  I've skidded on it (to avoid running over a dead bird -- yuk)...and, learned the hard way that bunny hopping up a curb isn't as easy as it looks.  Right over the handlebars.  Luckily, I was more embarrassed than hurt.  Was that a road that had a bunch of traffic?  Or, is it one of those country roads that has a car every now and then, but not much that steady?

But, ATL is close enough there's really not a reason why we couldn't meet up for a weekend event or something.  BTW, I STILL think you should come on down to Auburn for our Feb. Master's meet.  The meet info is online if you're interested.  We're a fun group, there's a "gathering" on Sat night of the meet weekend.  I waved in the general direction of downtown while I was driving through the other day.  I keep miscalculating the time that it will be when I'll be on those roads, and have hit rush hour the last 3 times driving through.  You'd think I'd get it figured out after all this time, it's only an hour different, after all.

I started another thread about the wack-o who shot up the Galleria mall.....wondered if you were there.  :S  Good to see from the workout thread that you weren't. 

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    7. Dec 25, 2007 5:40 PM (in response to tithers)

relax,  and don't ride the brakes. that is very bad.  But decending in the rain sucks.  keep the bike upright.

• Cashmason Pro 449 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    8. Dec 25, 2007 11:46 PM (in response to tithers)

Tithers is nice and visible as possible with that green vest.

Not injured is good.

Fast in wet conditions is scary.  But what is fast this year will be medium next year.

My instincts might be wrong,  but I shift my weight a bit more to the back wheel when going downhill at scary fast speeds.

• TriAndStopMe Rookie 30 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    10. Dec 26, 2007 7:51 AM (in response to tithers)

Now...if I shift weight back...how does that make me "safer?"

It makes you less likely to go over the handlebars when you brake.  This is useful to keep in mind not only on downhills, but on fast, "panic" stops on regular, flat, roads, too.  If you get your hind end (I'm askeered of the Active Asterisks) off the seat and behind (or even behind and a little below) the seat, you'll be able to hit the brakes harder without going arse over handlebars.  This is NOT to say panic stops or hitting the brakes hard are good options for wet conditions.  They're not.

• Active Ingredient Rookie 9 posts since
    Dec 23, 2007
    11. Dec 26, 2007 8:01 AM (in response to tithers)

On a "tri" bike, you have a lot of weight over the front wheel, so sitting up and sliding back a little has the effect of using your chest as an air brake, while also getting some weight over the back wheel, which is a good thing.  Braking with both brakes will cause a forward shift in weight and you don't want your rear tire to skid or your front wheel to wash out sideways.  In general, you just need to take it easy going downhill in the rainy weather, in part so you don't get too cold.  Just use both brakes, accept that rim brakes don't work as well when they are wet and enjoy the ride down without being all tense and jerky.

In any event, you have to use the front brake.

Dec 13, 2007
    12. Dec 26, 2007 1:49 PM (in response to tithers)

tithers wrote:

I have a regular bike w/women specific shifters for my small hands...I felt outta control w/the whole brake thing. My wrist is starting to feel better.

Stitch...I'm just not into the idea of a swim meet. I think it's sweet that you want Tithers there! She is honored!

I hear ya.....the meet will be there if you ever decide to do it.  It's a great way to get a "state of Tither's swimming" picture.

So, special shifters......are they smaller?  Closer together?  Work without needing as much pressure?

Stitch

Dec 13, 2007
    14. Dec 26, 2007 7:11 PM (in response to tithers)

tithers wrote:

Smaller for smaller hands.

Tithers has seen herself swim both above and under water...however...deeply saddened that there were no good IMFL swim pics of her. They are ALL bad...as in...where is Tithers?

I think the only way that you could guarantee that folks could see you (or any "you" for that matter) in an IM swim leg is to somehow mark your wetsuit with VERY noticeable markings (like college grads do on the top of their caps).  It would have to be BIG, and VISIBLE.....and likely, just short of one of those long flags that used to be cool to have on the back of your bike.  I wonder if that would help or hinder your progress?  (questioning look on face)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...