Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3179 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2008 10:43 PM by Allison RSS
barnes89 Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2007 9:34 AM

Pain in nasal cavities

Hello!

I recently started running again, and while I've learned how to avoid side cramps and other unnecessary pains, there is one thing that I can't figure out. I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth and I get a pain in my nose. I can't quite describe it, but it kind of stings. I'm sure I could be a more efficient runner if it were not for this.

Also, I find myself spitting out thick saliva several times while running (once every couple of minutes). Does this have anything to do with the nose problem?

Oh, I hope someone can help me with this. I look forward to reading the replies!

• Bruno_Graystock Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 16, 2007
    1. Nov 16, 2007 11:02 AM (in response to barnes89)
    Re: Pain in nasal cavities

Lay off the coke

• Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    3. Nov 16, 2007 11:59 AM (in response to barnes89)

What kind of temperature and humidity are you running in?  Cold, dry air can dry out the nasal passages.  I think you can probably find products in the drugstore that essentially moisturize the nasal canal, or you can also try one of those full-face hat things (I think they may be technically called balaclavas?) that skiiers/snowboarders wear and that will warm up the air you breathe.

If your saliva is really thick, it sounds like you need to drink more water.  Since it's tricky to run with water -- particularly in cold weather when you really can't afford to accidentally spill -- I'd suggest drinking more water in the hours before your run which will hydrate you beforehand.  Not sure if that's related to your nose problem, but that's my two cents ...

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• wilmpete Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    5. Nov 21, 2007 8:20 PM (in response to barnes89)

try sudafed

• Currently Being Moderated
    6. Jan 21, 2008 4:12 PM (in response to barnes89)

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. I also have a very runny nose when I jog???

I've tried nielmed a sinus rinse, that gives relief for about 2 hours.

Please help!!!

7. Jan 21, 2008 10:42 PM (in response to Stacey )

Well, I haven't run lately, actually. I've been powerwalking, but after being sick for weeks, I haven't built back up any endurance.

BUT, following being sick with a sinus infection and being upset that I kept losing my voice because of sickness, I went back to the doctor where they gave me a nasal spray. While this particular one is medicated, there are also regular nasal sprays that you can purchase at any pharmacy for a dollar or two. It helps to prevent dryness, which I think has helped. It's worth a try considering how inexpensive it is.

I hope this helped!

8. Jan 21, 2008 10:43 PM (in response to Allison )

Oh, the post above was me, barnes89, who started the thread, but I'm not signed in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...