Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3842 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2008 6:52 PM by TriDok RSS 1 2 Previous Next
kate60095 Rookie 89 posts since
Jun 26, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2007 11:35 AM

Does anyone actually like swimming?

Okay but seriously, for those who did not grow up with a fishtail; do you like to swim now as an adult.  After three years of tri's I still find this is my least favorite event. 

I just don't ever really feel comfortable or in the zone. It is not fear of water or anthing like that, it is just always so physically hard despite swim lessons. I can't seem to eke any enjoyment out of swimming and it is pi$$ing me off.

On the rare as in 2-3 times I felt I had a good swim I have no idea why that was so can't replicate it.  Any other non fishies with advice?

• 4boysmom Rookie 1,018 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Oct 23, 2007 11:43 AM (in response to kate60095)
    Re: Does anyone actually like swimming?

I love OW swimming.  Nuthin' like getting out there and swimming a half mile before turning.  Yah, it sucks when the beach is busy and I have to dodge jerks in the swim lane.  But most of the time, it just feels good to get out there and swim.

Now, I'm stuck in the fish bowl.  Not quite as enjoyable, since it seems like stroke, stroke, flip...  I do like the feel of swimming.  Plus, after my swim, I get to go run!

• COcarrie Rookie 396 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    2. Dec 25, 2007 5:58 PM (in response to kate60095)

YES, I love the water and swimming.  My apologies... I guess you wanted to hear from "non-fishies" and I don't really have advice.  Sorry.

I feel for those who didn't grow up swimming because I can see how it would be hard to learn as an adult. I have always loved swimming and was always the kid who was the first one in and and the last one out of the water (pool, lake, ocean... ) at any opportunity. I suppose I've always taken it for granted and didn't really realize that there is a huge population that doesn't swim or know how to swim. Swimming back and forth in a pool is about the best zone out I can imagine.

As far as tris go, I'd love the swim leg to be longer and the bike leg to be shorter. I stink on the bike part. But come to think of it, all of the disciplines just make me feel like a kid again and I think that's why I love triathlon!
    Carrie

[http://This message has been edited by cocarrie (edited Oct-23-2007).|http://This message has been edited by cocarrie (edited Oct-23-2007).]

• tri_coach06 Rookie 521 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Oct 23, 2007 12:05 PM (in response to kate60095)

At times I relly enjoyed going to the pool and listening to the slight splash as my hand entered the water and then the feel of the wake passing my thigh as I pull my hand passed.

Then I had my shoulder surgery. I couldn't swim, I couldn't even lift my hand above my head. the shoulder has slowly started to release and I have regained most of my ROM. (Range of Motion)

Funny thing is I started swimming again. Just 100's at first then 200's and now I'm swimming 500's. The one thing I notice is I'm enjoying the water. I'm feeling it, not fighting it. I've slowed a bit, but I swim 16 strokes for a 25yd pool so my stroke is better.

It sounds to me like your fighting the water. Next time you have a swim session leave the tools at home and just bring your goggles. Don't worry about time or stroke count or about your breathing pattern, just swim. Feel the water rush over your head and down your back. Feel the water pressure against your forearm as you pull back on the stroke. Inhale as deep as you can on each breathe, even if it means being turned and gliding for that extra second. Don't think about anything and listen to the sounds of the pool. The kids playing in the shallow end, the divers splashing into the diving area, the guy next to you doign kick drills. Just listen and swim.

Sheldon

• SpartyGirl Rookie 456 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    4. Oct 23, 2007 12:13 PM (in response to kate60095)

I was definitely not raised as a fishie.  In fact I was very afraid of the water for a long time.  Now, with all of the chaos I have found a nice quiet place where I don't have to think.  The black line is kind of like therapy.

• rundog28 Amateur 44 posts since
    May 17, 2004
    5. Oct 23, 2007 12:15 PM (in response to kate60095)

I really enjoy swimmimg laps, now that I know how, and can breathe, but I can see the problem with tri swimming. It is a horse of a different color all together!! I seem to get beat up and knocked around! It is hard to find a space to actually swim in!

• BethR042 Rookie 339 posts since
    Jul 17, 2001
    6. Oct 23, 2007 12:33 PM (in response to kate60095)

quote:

Originally posted by imfl03:

It sounds to me like your fighting the water. Next time you have a swim session leave the tools at home and just bring your goggles. Don't worry about time or stroke count or about your breathing pattern, just swim. Feel the water rush over your head and down your back. Feel the water pressure against your forearm as you pull back on the stroke. Inhale as deep as you can on each breathe, even if it means being turned and gliding for that extra second. Don't think about anything and listen to the sounds of the pool. The kids playing in the shallow end, the divers splashing into the diving area, the guy next to you doign kick drills. Just listen and swim.

Sheldon

You are so right - don't fight the water. Feel it. I swam today with a group of girls way faster than me. We were doing the same sets, but I had to remind myself to focus on myself, and staying smooth and even in the water, and not try to keep up with them - which wasn't happening anyway!!

• COcarrie Rookie 396 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    8. Oct 23, 2007 12:35 PM (in response to kate60095)

quote:

Originally posted by rundog28:

I really enjoy swimmimg laps, now that I know how, and can breathe, but I can see the problem with tri swimming. It is a horse of a different color all together!! I seem to get beat up and knocked around! It is hard to find a space to actually swim in!

Oh yeah... THAT. Plus the whole OW thing is a bit of a challenge, not being able to see much and not getting any decent yardage off of turns.

But just swimming back and forth in a pool..... ahhhhh!!   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

• welshtroll Rookie 70 posts since
    Jun 6, 2007
    9. Oct 23, 2007 12:36 PM (in response to kate60095)

i was/am a complete fishie.  swam almost every day for 10 years.  swimming laps is the best therapy i can have.  these days i train twice a week.

i have always had some days where i just feel like i'm thrashing around going nowhere. i don't think it makes much difference to my speed, or how i look to other people, it's just the way it feels to me. i have no idea why it happens; doesn't seem to be related to my frame of mind, tiredness or anything. i just don't feel right in the water some days.

as sheldon said (so much more poetically than me!), just go with it, take your time, and keep your strokes long. when you put your hand in the water, imagine 'catching' a piece of that water ahead of you, and pulling that one piece right along till it's behind you.

take your time, keep it long and relax.  and look over at a fishie person swimming nearby and know that they're probably having a day where they feel like a crazy thrasher!

• Doug33 Rookie 128 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    10. Oct 23, 2007 12:40 PM (in response to kate60095)

I response to the original question...NO. 

I hate to swim, but I like the way that it makes my shoulders look.
    I hate to swim, but I like the strange looks and comments that I get from the community about me swimming in the local pond.
    I hate to swim, but I have pride about learning to swim at the age of 34 and doing a half iron three years later.
    I hate to swim, but I really like to triathlon, so I do it.
    And most importantly, I hate to swim, but my kids like to brag about their dad doing it.

----

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    - General George S. Patton

Dad and Boy[/URL" target="_blank">

• tithers Rookie 1,259 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    11. Oct 23, 2007 12:46 PM (in response to kate60095)

I started liking swimming when CS told me I don't need the KICKBOARD!

Then I got faster! And had fun! Confident! I like my kick drills now...they help!

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    12. Oct 23, 2007 12:59 PM (in response to kate60095)

I find the pool boring, smelly, inconvenient, etc.  It's very difficult for me to build motivation to go there.

But... I really enjoy being out in a lake or pond - particularly early morning. Feels very "natural" and healthy.

----

->>> John[/URL" target="_blank"> <<<-
    Go write something in the
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">!!
    Running Club[/URL" target="_blank"> Tri Club[/URL" target="_blank">

• tri_coach06 Rookie 521 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. Oct 23, 2007 1:18 PM (in response to kate60095)

quote:

Originally posted by tithers:

Then I got faster! And had fun! Confident! I like my kick drills now...they help!

faster, down right FAST... Tithers can swim for sure.

S

• DONSKIMAN Rookie 234 posts since
    Nov 25, 2007
    14. Oct 23, 2007 2:03 PM (in response to kate60095)

I like to swim, but hate going to the pool. Since I don't live near a lake I end up not swimming as much as I should. Maybe if the pool was open 24/7 and I didn't have to deal with the little old lady water walkers clogging up the lap lanes all the time and I could when I wanted, I would go more.

----

Don
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...