Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13598 Views 69 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2007 9:49 AM by clasko2596 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 7, 2007 1:37 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)
    Re: No ipod enforcement

I would like to see some control on the volume of music in general at races. Music in the start area of a half mary last year had me standing in the corral with my fingers in my ears for an hour. A band along the route of the 2004 Indy Mini really got me to run faster--to get my ears out of harms way. A few more of those and I will be entering in the handicapped division.

Lot of good bantering here. Add this to the "million typing monkeys" pool.

• Cashmason Pro 449 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    61. Nov 7, 2007 2:27 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

Bannon and Sheldon,

The stupid and ugly part are probably right on.  But no ice cream,   thats kinda low.

• bigpoppapump004 Rookie 210 posts since
    Mar 26, 2006
    62. Nov 7, 2007 4:14 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

And us <b>pro headphone wearers</b> have every right to question why it's so important

you get paid to wear headphones? 

• juliemboyle Rookie 810 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    63. Nov 7, 2007 7:03 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

As I said before, I have worn my IPOD in all my running races.  If I wore it in a race that said no headphones and it was confiscated, or a I was penalized, I wouldn't complain about it, I would take my medicine.

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    64. Nov 7, 2007 7:14 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

quote:

Originally posted by biketm:

I could tell the exact same story....I love running sooooo much more without the distracting music.

Tim

But then how would I dorwn out the voices in my head?

Follow the rules or live with the penalty. Better yet, follow the rules. If you don't like 'em lobby to change them, before the race. If you sign up, play by the rules.

p.s. I LOVE RUNNING WITH MY IPOD. But I don't race in them, if it's against the rules. therefore, only a few times have I gotten to race with them.

Do this... Imagine explaining to your 5yo child why you didn't play by the rules. That does it for me.

• LookiLoo Rookie 247 posts since
    Feb 3, 2006
    65. Nov 7, 2007 7:47 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

quote:

Originally posted by pcsronbo:

But then how would I dorwn out the voices in my head?

Scary, aren't they....

I actually have nothing against running with music, and I just don't get why people get so incensed about this issue.  I've never raced with music, but it has always bothered me that I've trained with music and come race day I start playing head games with myself that I feel like I need it.  I was just pleasantly surprised when I finally went to the dark side and realized it wasn't so bad to be without the music after all 

• kristine25 Amateur 530 posts since
    Aug 17, 2007
    66. Nov 7, 2007 9:18 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

quote:

Originally posted by 3chilipeppers:

I can understand the rule and follow the rule, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. .

Right on point Kelli!!! Why I said it's OK to question authority. I don't we think we should "break" the rules, but I see nothing wrong with trying to get them changed!!!

OK, so to lighten the mood, those of us who LOVE our iPod, what song comes on that ALWAYS motivates you??

For me, suprising for this huge country music fan:  Loose Yourself by Eminem

• BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    67. Nov 7, 2007 9:36 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

quote:

Originally posted by mbannon:

If you re-read my post, you'll see that you and I are in complete agreement.  I only use the headphone/deafness analogy as proof that the no-headphones rule is only in place due to fear of lawsuit.  If we were truly worried about people being unable to hear during a race, deaf people would not be allowed to race.  Also, races would not be allowed near airports or other noisy areas.

Of course the race directors are worried about racers being able to hear.  But the rule is in place due to fear of lawsuit.

I agree that we agree that you agree. BUT, the deafness analogy dosen't work becuase the deaf (and the race to a certian extent) are protected from lawsuits, so the insurance company cannot use deaf as a reason not to allow them in a race. Headphones are elective, therefore not protected by law in the same manner.

As a "Reasonable Accomadation", I wonder if a race could require a deaf runner to run with someone that can hear so as to alert the deaf runner. Does anyone know if this is a requirement for any race?

• FSMITH3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    68. Nov 7, 2007 9:41 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

so is it a hearing issue????? then should you DQ def people as well?

• clasko2596 Rookie 44 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    69. Nov 7, 2007 9:49 AM (in response to 3chilipeppers)

I just run with a boom-box on my shoulder.

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...