Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

502 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2007 5:13 PM by stitcher05089 RSS
stitcher05089 Rookie 180 posts since
Mar 3, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2007 8:59 AM

ipod question....

So, I was all ready to hit the road this morning and work on pacing a bit, so was going to use my running cadences.

Except....not so fast, Jack!

First, I dropped my ipod (slipped out of my gloved hand)....
Thought I broke it, cause nothing would play, the screen was sluggish, and I never heard any music.

So, I fiddled with it on the first part of the run, then gave up and tucked it into my pocket.

When I got home, it played just fine.

Do you think that the cold might have done something to it? It wasn't THAT cold this morning, only 39, and, the ipod had been inside the house all night, not stuck and forgotten in the car.

Stitch

• BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Nov 7, 2007 9:18 AM (in response to stitcher05089)
    Re: ipod question....

Condensation from being in a warm environment and brought out into a cold environment? Was the Ipod anywhere near your face where you might have breathed on it?

We have had similer problems with electronics and have always chalked it up to moisture from condensation.

• valleysuper Rookie 74 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    3. Nov 7, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to stitcher05089)

I do alot of running with the Nike+ and ipod and yours is a very common problem with the ipod,  It just does not like weather changes at all.  I am actually on my 3rd nano now, it will eventually just not come on again once the screen goes black.

• txdave13 Rookie 95 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    4. Nov 7, 2007 10:20 AM (in response to stitcher05089)

You are running with the undead. It is actually now a zOmbie iPod.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you randomly hear "...brains..." and moaning coming from the zOmbie iPod. Oh, and don't let it bite you.

• snigglefritz Rookie 70 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 7, 2007 10:26 AM (in response to stitcher05089)

I have had problems with mine in the cold. The battery doesn't last very long so I don't bother with it in the cold anymore. Mine is one of the earlier iPods (no video) so maybe the newer ones have improved on this.

• Yoshiko007 Rookie 357 posts since
    Nov 16, 2003
    6. Nov 7, 2007 10:59 AM (in response to stitcher05089)

I am quite behind the technology.. no ipod here.  But my MP3 stopped working in 20F or so.  I started wearing underneath of my outer shell and worked find.  I would imagine some electornics don't like to be in cold.

• ForceD Rookie 482 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Nov 7, 2007 11:14 AM (in response to stitcher05089)

I notice the LCD on my bike computers very sluggish when it gets cold (the iPod screen is LCD I think). But usually at a little colder than 39 degrees F. My LCD wrist watch doesn't do it because of bodyheat.

My daughter’s Nano once went through the washing machine...complete, regular cycle…in her pants pocket. It stopped working. We let it sit so that any water/moisture could drain and dry. After about a week we recharged it and it worked fine…even maintained her playlist.

Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...