Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12917 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2007 1:41 PM by jennicap05 RSS
Alicia0325 Rookie 17 posts since
Sep 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2007 8:02 PM

running vs getting pregnant?

I'm on week 4 of c25k and as I was running tonight, trying to finish the final 5 minute run, I began to wonder how this might be effecting my chances of getting pregnant.  My husband and I just decided to try to get pregnant and now I'm wondering if this will effect it? When I do get pregnant, do I have to stop?  Now my head is filled with questions!
Please, anyone, help!

• ladymoonlite Rookie 131 posts since
    Sep 8, 2007
    1. Oct 7, 2007 8:15 PM (in response to Alicia0325)
    Re: running vs getting pregnant?

I don't think it's likely that running will prevent you from getting pregnant if you're a normally active, healthy person.  Women have been getting pregnant for millenia, even when everyday life meant chasing prey - or running from predators.  If you've just decided to start trying, I wouldn't worry about it unless you find yourself unsuccessful.  You should definitely discuss it with your doctor, though.

Good luck - with BOTH programs!
    lml
    W9D1

• BIGEM1 Rookie 77 posts since
    Dec 17, 2006
    2. Oct 7, 2007 10:43 PM (in response to Alicia0325)

I believe I can answer this for you.  You can also find great info in the book "The Complete Book of Running for Woman" by Claire Kowalchik.  She was the managing editor of Runner's World for several years.
    Anyhow..running will definately not lesson your chances of getting pregnant. If it does effect your chances in any way it would actually be more likely to increase your chances since running eleviates stress which is a common reason for not getting pregnant.
    When you do become pregnant there is no need for you to stop running unless you feel pain, nausea, or dizziness. You should not however increase your mileage or intensity but rather maintain your current schedule. You will probably feel like doing a little less in your last 1-2 months of pregnancy and you should listen to your body and possibly even go to a walk if running becomes uncomfortable.
    I was in the army when I was pregnant with my first daughter. I ran with my fellow soldiers every morning up until I was 7 1/2 months pregnant and did just fine. It was around that time that I started to run on my own so that I could go at a slower pace for another few weeks. Then a little past 8 months I started to walk. I wore an elastic belt that I got from my doctor to help hold my belly up and my belly was huge by the way.
    Anyhow....I felt great running. I had morning sickness so bad throughout my entire pregnancies (both of them). It was kinda funny cuz I would show up to morning formation, run off a few feet, puke, and then join in on the morning's workout! That was my regular routine and I would not have changed it for anything.
    Good luck on getting pregnant!
    Emily

• ExSwimmer Rookie 30 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    3. Oct 8, 2007 12:19 AM (in response to Alicia0325)

Holy cow, that last post was insane!!! BIGEM, I'm thoroughly impressed.  Dang!

Good luck on the pregnancy running ali, and the running, and remember that getting in some exercise is NEVER a bad idea!  Moderation isn't a problem though, do what feels right.  : )

• averysmama Rookie 45 posts since
    Aug 12, 2007
    4. Oct 8, 2007 12:30 AM (in response to Alicia0325)

I was wondering some of the same questions you asked. My husband and I have decided to get pregnant with our second child. I just finished c25k a couple of weeks ago and finished my first 5k and now I'm addicted to running. I had the same questions you did and asked my doctor. He said being healthy, and getting healthier than I was, actually helps and will not hurt my chances of getting pregnant at all. He told me I could still run through the first two trimesters (depending on how I was feeling) and then he suggested slowing down to walking through the last trimester. He said running/jogging is an excellent way to keep in good pregnancy health if it is something the body is already used to. He said he wouldn't suggest to someone to start a running program if they just found out they were pregnant but if the body was already used to that type of workout there is nothing wrong with keeping that type of workout through the first two trimesters. Hope this helps!

Also, I'm sooo impressed with BIGEM1's post! I can't imagine still running at 7 1/2 months pregnant! Incredible!

Jennifer

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 8, 2007 5:57 AM (in response to Alicia0325)

I think this is a question for your doctor. I know many women who run while trying to get pregnant, but when it comes to serious health issues like this, a doc's input is the way to go.

My understanding is that moderate amounts of running will be fine, but extensive running like marathon training for example will decrease your chances of conceiving because the training stresses the body extensively. Where this trade off is, I have no idea. Again, ask your doc.

BIGEM's post is noteworthy, but just an anecdote of one person. I'd be reluctant to base major health decisions on an anonomous post.

• Currently Being Moderated
    6. Oct 8, 2007 10:04 AM (in response to Alicia0325)

Hi,

When I decided to get pregnant, I asked my doctor about starting the C25K plan (I'd done it before, but had stopped running after a knee problem). He suggested that as I wasn't active at the time, running may be too intense to start and I should stick to walking, swimming and yoga. I walked throughout the pregnancy and think it really helped!

No one here knows your health history, so to be sure and have some piece of mind, I'd check with your own doctor!

(BTW, I'm now on week 7 of C25K and have a wonderful 6-month old boy!)

Good Luck with both!

• brendso Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Oct 8, 2007 12:51 PM (in response to Alicia0325)

Hello
    I've been going through this dilemma re running and trying to conceive for the past several months. I agree with a lot of the other replies in terms of getting this checked out with your doctor. The reason being how long you have been running, how often you run, irregular v regular cycle, age all come into play and what does not effect one may effect another.
    I was a somewhat beginner runner (did C25K last year) and I was really working on increasing my miles. Got off the pill during this time period. As I began to increase my miles my menstrual cycle became longer and longer (ranging between 34 and 39 days). I actually missed a month. Thankfully my GYN is a runner and she suggested several things to me which resulted in cutting back on running.
    I eventually put an end to running (which was SOOOO hard) but I'm 34 and my cycle is back to normal and it's what I have to do for now. I'll do some treadmill running for short spurts (which I was never into treadmill running but am okay with it now) but nothing compared to what I was doing.
    Talk to your doctor and see what is your best plan of action would be my advice to you.
    and have lots of fun trying to conceive!!!!
    good luck !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    B

• melissadavon Rookie 16 posts since
    Sep 17, 2007
    9. Oct 8, 2007 1:05 PM (in response to Alicia0325)
  • monnik Rookie 184 posts since
    May 31, 2007
    10. Oct 8, 2007 4:16 PM (in response to Alicia0325)

I completely agree with those who tell you to talk to your doctor.  I don't know how running affects trying to conceive because I was a runner when I got pg with my oldest and we weren't trying to conceive at the time...    But i do know that once you have conceived, most doctors will say that continuing a current program is fine (encouraged, even) but adding intensity isn't suggested.

I ran about 2 1/2 miles, 3 times a week with my first child.  The doctor asked me to stop running at 7 1/2 months because I wasn't gaining enough weight. (Oh how I wish that was my problem today, almost 14 years later!)  So you just have to keep an open dialog with your doctor.  Most likely, you'll get the green light until you feel too big and heavy to continue!

• Lieren Rookie 14 posts since
    Sep 17, 2004
    11. Oct 8, 2007 8:51 PM (in response to Alicia0325)

I got pregnant while marathon training, with a 39 day cycle, at age 36, and ran through week 40.  So, as others have said, it can be done.  (I didn't go through with the marathon, but did keep up weekly mileage of about 30 miles until week 30, then switching to indoor running and dropping down to about 20 mpw.)

Personally, I didn't bother talking to a doctor when I was thinking about getting pregnant b/c I was charting and had a very good grasp on what was going on with my cycle. Even if you do talk to a doctor, I'd recommend starting charting now, so you have actual information about your cycle when you go.

And an absolutely fabulous book about running and pregnancy is James Clapp, Exercising During Your Pregnancy.  I think it's the best book on this subject out there - it gave me the information I needed to keep running until the end!  (Now, getting a baby and myself out the door on time for a run before work is a whole 'nother story...)

• jrpol Rookie 110 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Oct 9, 2007 10:38 AM (in response to Alicia0325)

I agree with a lot of what has been said.  You know the exercise might actually increase your chances.  I know I always feel sexier when I'm working out and taking care of myself and my DH always benefits from it!  Unless you're running some major miles it shouldn't make that big of a difference.  Last June I was running more miles then I ever have before.  I'd mostly stuck to 5Ks previously but had run my first 10K and was up to 6 and 7 mile long runs...and I got pregnant.    I'm now due in March.

I definitely agree with talking to your doctor and you must listen to your body. I've never really had a problem with nausea but your body releases a hormone that relaxes a lot of your joints (relaxin?). As a result for me, when I tried to run my hips and back HURT. It doesn't affect every woman this way, but I suppose I'm just lucky that way. Because of that I'm not running now, but I consistanly walk and do some very light strength training. Whatever happens I really believe that staying active is one of the best things you can do! The days where I get a workout in are always better then my lazy days.

----

Jen[/URL" target="_blank">

• CrazyDiamond66 Rookie 29 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    13. Oct 9, 2007 12:11 PM (in response to Alicia0325)

quote:

Originally posted by running ali:

...as I was running tonight, trying to finish the final 5 minute run, I began to wonder how this might be effecting my chances of getting pregnant. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

If you are trying to get pregnant WHILE running, that may be difficult. Plus the neighbors may complain! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

(You've had so many good solid responses, I thought I'd go for the silly one).

Shine on,
    CrazyDiamond66

• jennicap05 Rookie 147 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Oct 9, 2007 1:41 PM (in response to Alicia0325)

first and foremost you should speak with your doctor about this... but JSYK this is what my doctor told me.  I can keep on running (DH & I are currently trying).  I can run about 10-15 miles a week with no problems.. I run a 5k 3-4 times a week so that's perfect and once I become pregnant to listen to my body and not to raise my heart rate over 140. which my highest HR Is 135 or something...and I was pushing myself big time!
    If you were marathon training and missing your periods then I would say yeah it's probably going to effect your chances of getting pregnant but running 8 mins isn't going to do anything.

----

-Jen
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...