Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1614 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2009 3:25 PM by caesar_august RSS 1 2 Previous Next
RazZDoodle Rookie 37 posts since
Jun 16, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2007 4:20 PM

13.1 vs. 26.2

I've run a 10K, 5 miler, and a 5K and have been running consistently (save for the birth of our 2nd child this past June) for a little over a year.  I want to keep pushing myself and see what how far I can go.

Common sense tells me that I train for a HM for this May.

My competitive streak, though, is screaming at me to train for the full marathon. My sister took up running to "give her something to do". She's run 2 5Ks and is now going to train for an HM. One of closest friends is a self-proclaimed beer drinkin, NASCAR watchin, white collar redneck and he just finished the Chicago marathon yesterday (and right before they shut it down).

Thoughts? I'm really leaning toward the marathon.

----

"....just me and the bunnies."
http://runningoffatthemind.blogspot.com/

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 8, 2007 4:26 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)
    Re: 13.1 vs. 26.2

It's all a matter of what you want. Whichever you pick, just respect the distance and prepare as well as you can.

• eryn23 Rookie 75 posts since
    Apr 25, 2006
    2. Oct 8, 2007 4:27 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)

you should DEFINITELY do a half marathon before a full, in my opinion.

You are still talking about more than doubling your longest race distance. And you truly need to respect what it means that 26.2 to be prepared to train for it. Not to mention....you don't want to run a marathon and take so long to do it that they are closing down right behind you. Get a good, quality, well-trained for half under your belt and then maybe do a fall marathon if you want to keep going. There are SO many great marathons in the fall anyway.

Just take your time and enjoy your runs, don't rush into anything.

• rlemert Pro 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 8, 2007 4:28 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)

If you've never run a half before, you should really do one before you run your first marathon. The difference between the two races is significant, and going from e.g. a 10k to the full is an ever greater challenge. However, you don't necessarily need to make them separate "goal" races. I ran my first half as part of my training for my first full marathon - about fourteen weeks before the target race.

• Chutch Rookie 42 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 8, 2007 5:41 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)

If you feel your body is up for it, I say go for the full.  I like the idea too of making the 1/2 part of your training.  I've only been running for 8 months, and I just ran a marathon last weekend.  I didn't run it fast, but I finished!  I trained smart, didn't push myself, and I had a great experience.  I'm already thinking about what race I want to do next.

• Tha Dawg Rookie 21 posts since
    Aug 15, 2005
    5. Oct 8, 2007 6:40 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)

Do a full marathon.  Doing a half is part of the training, so in essence, you will be doing a half too.

I trained for a half and I wished I had trained for a full. You can do it!

----

Todd[/URL" target="_blank">
    Myspace - Todd Tha Dawg[/URL" target="_blank">

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    6. Oct 8, 2007 6:53 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)

quote:

Originally posted by eryn23:

you should DEFINITELY do a half marathon before a full, in my opinion.

Why? He didn't say he wouldn't fully train for it - it's just a longer target.

quote:

Originally posted by rlemert:

If you've never run a half before, you should really do one before you run your first marathon. The difference between the two races is significant

If they're so different, why should he do one before the other?

Here's my two cents... Do the one that gets you most excited. That'll be your motivation to stick out the training. Then, pick a training plan appropriate for the distance, start it in plenty of time, and have fun!

----

->>> John[/URL" target="_blank"> <<<-
    Go write something in the
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">!!
    Running Club[/URL" target="_blank"> Tri Club[/URL" target="_blank">

Apr 25, 2006
    7. Oct 8, 2007 10:44 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)

geez, people on these boards can be so b!tchy !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I have just seen several of my friends try training for a marathon with no idea of what it entailed and give up because of that. I agree with those who said that to do a half as PART of your TRAINING for a full is a good idea. But set smaller goals to get to that big one. Otherwise I think it can get a little overwhelming. There are probably longer races in your area too, like a 30k or so, that you can as a way to get in some of your even longer training runs.

Left~yes it IS a longer target, this is why I think that a half first is a good idea. doesn't that just kind of make sense? And they ARE different in that one is much much longer. This person has only done a 10k and needs to get some more miles under his/her belt. I really think that we are saying the same thing, you are just in a bad mood and felt like being a little bit of a meanie on your computer today. why do people here have such animosity sometimes?!?! Many are nice but others....I just don't know. But it's all good!

• Marathon Peach Legend 391 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Oct 8, 2007 11:04 PM (in response to RazZDoodle)

Speaking from someone who ran 23 miles the other day...it hurt a lot worse than when I did my first half in may...

----

Girl on a mad mission
    From 400 meters To 26.2 miles
    Race Day - October 28, 2007
    16 year liver transplant survivor
    My Running Journal[/URL" target="_blank">

Terri - 20 Year Liver Transplant Survivor

2007 Marine Corps Marathon Finisher

• GaleRunz Amateur 147 posts since
    Dec 13, 2003
    9. Oct 9, 2007 12:07 AM (in response to RazZDoodle)

I've done 14 HMs and after finishing 13.1 miles, I have absolutely NO desire to do it twice!!!!!!   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|border=0!

----

Running sober, one step at a time!!!My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Apr 25, 2006
    10. Oct 9, 2007 1:13 AM (in response to RazZDoodle)

Congrats georgiapeach, you are well on your way!!! good luck in your marathon,no matter what, you're gonna be great!

Aug 16, 2007
    11. Oct 9, 2007 6:49 AM (in response to RazZDoodle)

quote:

I really think that we are saying the same thing, you are just in a bad mood and felt like being a little bit of a meanie on your computer today.

Ah... No.  I just think you're wrong.  While of course one must run 13 miles before running 26, I don't think it's at all necessary to participate in a half marathon before running a full marathon. If the marathon is the target that motivates you to get out and train, then focus on that and avoid the distraction of a race you're not interested in.

• rlemert Pro 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Oct 9, 2007 9:57 AM (in response to RazZDoodle)

I have no problem with someone deciding to make their goal race a full marathon. That's what I did. However, there's a hugh difference between 6.2 miles and 26.2, and most people will have trouble bridging it in one giant leap. Running a half as a race during your training gives you a better feel for what to expect in the "big show". You're going to have several training runs that go that distance or more, aren't you? Why not make one of them more interesting and turn it into a race?

Apr 25, 2006
    13. Oct 9, 2007 10:30 AM (in response to RazZDoodle)

haha, you are such "that guy," a total douche, never wrong I'm sure!  I'm not telling you that your OPINION is wrong, we just have different ones I guess. It is my OPINION that it's a good idea to run some shorter races to get a feel for it, as the guy above me just said.Have a fabulous day.

Aug 16, 2007
    14. Oct 9, 2007 10:48 AM (in response to RazZDoodle)

quote:

haha, you are such "that guy," a total douche, never wrong.

Could very well be that I'm the dysfunctional one here (I have plenty of experience at that) but... At least I can carry on a debate with having to resort to calling names. Done here.

-&gt;&gt;&gt; Douche &lt;&lt;&lt;-

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...