Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4409 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2007 12:21 PM by Sammy51581
stacy31699 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2007 4:13 AM

Starting Walking Program - Today is Day One!!!!!

Today is Day One of my walking program.  I only have to walk 25 minutes at low intensity and I'm scared!  I am a floor nurse and I work today (7a-7p) so I'm going to have to start my program after I get home.  I want to succeed at this and build up to eventually running but I'm afraid of failure...almost to the point of not wanting to start at all.  I just turned 43.  I'm lazy and have never exercised much before but I am a relatively healthy girl.  To be able to run a lap around a football field sounds impossible but awesome to me so for now that's my goal.  I'm starting slow though with a walking program off "Activetrainer".  Words of encouragement are welcome!

• rjgoedken Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 30, 2007 7:17 AM (in response to stacy31699)
    Re: Starting Walking Program - Today is Day One!!!!!

Hi Walker, It sounds like you have a good goal in mind.

"To be able to do some running," and you mentioned running around a football field.  That is a goal right there.  I'm sure you don't realize the walking that you must do at work.  You mentioned that you are a floor nurse.  And what about getting the mail at home?  Do you have a driveway that is sloped?  or is it an apartment.

Just being outside can do tremendous good for your lungs as you must know.  Don't give up!  Just do a little at a time.  When I used to work at a hospital, I just walked outside on my lunch break.  It is a quite doable thing so don't do anything to strenuous for the first time, but build up just a bit all the time.  Best of wishes for you on your new project.  Remember that God is walking with you as well and you can have such a nice conversation with  Him as well.  Trust you have a good start!

• pcwalker Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Terrific job getting started. That is the hardest part. Just start off walking a little bit (even 10-15 minutes at a time is a start) at a comfortable pace. Over time you can gradually build your distance and speed. You will be surprised by what you can accomplish if you just start out slowly and have patience. PC

• xhjeffrey Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

GREAT!! Be proud of yourself.  I started walking at the end of February, did my first 5K (Ryka IronGirl) the first weekend of April and I am doing Disney's Go Red For Women 5K this coming weekend. At first I was upset at my timing, but like my best-est friend told me: I am a winner already as I got of the couch and walked!!! (but I am still having butterflies for this weekend!!) Just keep doing  it a bit of a time.  I am by no means a small girl, but anytime I walk I know I am making a difference and it counts.  Right now I am trying to do the "3 minutes walk and 1 minute run" rotation. It is very hard and are quite not making it for the whole time, but little by little I am getting faster and increasing my endurance.  If you can find a buddy who can motivate you and maybe work out with you once a in a while, that is very helpful. Having that support really helps. And absolutely use this board. The other thing is invest in some great walking shoes and HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE! Congrats for making this first step to fitness! P.S. I also work at a hospital as an ICP

• PennyDoIt Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. May 22, 2007 1:26 PM (in response to stacy31699)

Today is Day one for me....I have been walking for several weeks now.  I signed up and would love to walk a half marathon someday.  I need motivation!  I am 41 and overweight.  Getting out walking makes me feel GREAT!  Words of encouragement are welcome! 

• pcwalker Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. May 24, 2007 4:37 AM (in response to stacy31699)

PennyDoIt,

You're doing great. A half marathon is a good goal. It's hard enough that you have to work for it, but the goal is easy enough to reach in a reasonable amount of time. I do a variety of events, but halfs are probably my favorite. PC

• ethelra Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. May 25, 2007 1:20 PM (in response to stacy31699)
    Re: Start Walking Program - Today is Day One!!!!!

Today is not really day one for me as I  walked the Classic half marathon last year, however, this year, I have knee pain that the doctors call "arthritic changes". I'm not accepting any malady in my body and I'm seeking awareness from others who may have have this kind or similar of experiences. What kinds of things they you done to stay in the race and even overcome/erase the pain? Thanks for any interest and responses generated.

• cindy07 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. May 29, 2007 6:44 PM (in response to stacy31699)

Everything in life starts one step at a time--and that's usually the hardest one! So congratulations, you've already done it!

After being overweight my entire life, I began walking a year and a half ago (at 225 lbs.). I started slowly, going short distances. After a year of walking I was up to 5 miles most days and 55 lbs. lighter. So that's when I set a goal for this year--a 50th birthday marathon. I joined Team in Training to support a wonderful cause and to get great coaching. It has been life changing! Instant walking partners, a fun and informative atmosphere, a cause much bigger than myself to keep me motivated.

I "practiced" several weeks ago with a half-marathon, and this Sunday, I'm doing the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in San Diego with my team. Walking has changed my life--every success along the way, from adding a mile or even a minute to my workouts was just an outward expression of the inner confidence and courage that was developing. I never ever want to keep from doing something again because I'm afraid I can't. Life's too short and precious. It's only when we attempt the thing we think we can't do that we begin to learn what we CAN do.

So go for it and enjoy the journey!

• cindy07 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. May 29, 2007 7:01 PM (in response to stacy31699)
    Re: the knees

To ethelra--I've had some trouble off and on with my knees, too. My chiropracter (who does a lot of work with athletes in particular) has helped with orthotics, and he recommended calcium and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement which really seem to help.

Also, technique made a huge difference. My coach has us taking a short forward step and leaving the leg in place until we actually roll totally forward on the foot and push off with the toes. Most of the stride is actually done behind us, and by leaving the front part of the stride short, it takes pressure off the knee. It took some getting used to, and the photo on pg.38 of "The Complete Guide to Marathon Walking" made the concept click for me. (It's also a much faster stride if that matters to you.)

I'll be 50 next month, so I thought I was too old to start doing marathons, but not with the right care and coaching!

• anngem Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Jun 22, 2007 3:09 PM (in response to stacy31699)

I've just recently found this site. I turned 62 this year and have been walking, though not seriously (I never do anything too seriously) in the last month or so. I've signed up to walk the Niagara Falls half marathon in October and have started training. So far all is well though there are so many training programs out there I don't know which is the best for me. I am still overweight though I've lost about 40 lbs in the last year and have about 30 more to go. No trouble with my knees so far. Any advice I can get here would be great. Also, any good web site to find out about walking events around the country? I live in a very small town in western NY and there isn't much happening here.

Thanks, Ann

• cmeter Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    10. Oct 27, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to anngem)

None of you have posted in a while. Are you still walking? If you need inspiration to keep walking year-round, I'd recommend subscribing to Walk Magazine - wwwlwalk-magazine.com.

• Sammy51581 Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    11. Nov 28, 2007 12:21 PM (in response to stacy31699)

Your only failure would be to not try at all.  Go out there and give it your all.  I started out slow...when I first started running I ran non-stop to the corner and felt like I was going to die.  The next time I went out I told myself that I was going to run at least one house farther without stopping, I can now comfortably run a 10k race.  My suggestion to you would be to start off walking.  When you are ready try running at the track, when you feel that you cant run any farther run ten more steps, and then take a walking break.  Try to remember how far you ran, and the next time try to run at least ten steps past that.  Before you know it you'll be running distances that will amaze you...I once saw a phrase that has motivated me to give it my all "Pain is weakness leaving the body"...

Good Luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...