Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1364 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2007 8:04 PM by Guest RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Lswife Amateur 150 posts since
    Mar 19, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Oct 15, 2007 9:34 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: New to C25K

As Haley said, many of us have had to walk before beginning the C25K.  I was one of them - walked for at least a week, maybe 2, before doing W1. During that 1 minute run, my eyes were glued onto the timer, and I thought I'd die.  Gasping for breath, holding onto the TM's bars, heart pounding.  What did I get myself into!?

For some reason, I stuck with the program, having to repeat most weeks (even doing a couple of weeks 3x) before I could move on to the next week. The program took me more like 18 weeks to finish which I finally did last June.

But now I'm running 2-3 miles most days of the week and don't feel winded at all afterwards; my face is beet-red, and my hair is sweaty, but I can breathe and don't feel like I'm dying. Oh - I'm 59, have lost 30+# on Weight Watchers so far with more to go. So if I can do it, anyone else can.

Don't worry about having a "bad day" ever or a "bad run." Those days happen. Just keep at it, and you'll be amazed at how well you feel afterwards (to be honest, it took me many weeks to be able to say "I feel better on the days I run.")

Haley - way to go, training for a 15K already!

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Oct 15, 2007 10:24 AM (in response to Guest )

My first run was 10 seconds, walk 1 minte run 15 seconds, die, brough back to life, walk 2 minutes, run 10 seconds, curse my years of inacivity, smoking, eating like a pig, etc., then walked the rest of the way. I am now training for a half marathon. You will be fine. Slow down , make small strides and you will get there.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• Lswife Amateur 150 posts since
    Mar 19, 2007
    19. Oct 15, 2007 11:51 AM (in response to Guest )

Wow, Joecarolod!  Good for you! (LOL about your being brought back to life)

And great decision, pghnewbie, to begin now rather than wait until you are older.

• BrentM Rookie 45 posts since
    Sep 18, 2007
    21. Oct 15, 2007 12:26 PM (in response to Guest )

pghnewbie,

I've done this program a couple different times but this time I'm actually enjoying it. In the past, I've always burnt out toward the end of the program. The difference this time is that I slowed WAY down. Like you said, I think I can walk faster than I'm running.

So what. I know once I get my muscles used to running longer and longer distances, then I can start working on speeding up.

Even if you have to repeat some weeks and walk more than the program says, at least you're out doing something rather than sitting on the couch.

Good luck to you!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...