Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5567 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 3:25 AM by kcarmike RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
jennicap05 Rookie 147 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 18, 2007 7:46 AM

Ex-Smokers Support

so I was reading xsmoker07 post wondering if he can run a marathon in 5 months.  Someone else, an ex-smoker, suggested that we get a support thread going for us ex-smokers turned runners!  I think this is a great idea and maybe someone who is just lurking will see this and read our quit stories and maybe we'll help someone quit or just support each other to not go back! 

So to start off the thread....
When did you quit?
How did you quit?
How are things going?

I quit January 14, 2007.
My husband & I went on wellbutrin in July 06, it worked for a few days. We went to this smoking sessions where we sat and talked with this guy, he gave us tips and tricks. That worked for my husband but not for me, it did get me to cut down my smokes but not all together. then finally in January, my husband had been smoke free for about 3 months I went out and got the patch... wore it for about 3 weeks and that's it never smoked again.
Things are going really well.... I gained about 20lbs after I quit and knew I needed to do something so I got me a pair of running shoes and got out of the door one day.. now I can't believe I waited so long!

----

-Jen
My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• biketm Pro 434 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 18, 2007 8:01 AM (in response to jennicap05)
    Re: Ex-Smokers Support

quote:

Originally posted by jennicap05:

so I was reading xsmoker07 post wondering if he can run a marathon in 5 months. Someone else, an ex-smoker, suggested that we get a support thread going for us ex-smokers turned runners! I think this is a great idea and maybe someone who is just lurking will see this and read our quit stories and maybe we'll help someone quit or just support each other to not go back!

So to start off the thread....
    When did you quit?
    How did you quit?
    How are things going?

I quit January 14, 2007.
    My husband & I went on wellbutrin in July 06, it worked for a few days. We went to this smoking sessions where we sat and talked with this guy, he gave us tips and tricks. That worked for my husband but not for me, it did get me to cut down my smokes but not all together. then finally in January, my husband had been smoke free for about 3 months I went out and got the patch... wore it for about 3 weeks and that's it never smoked again.
    Things are going really well.... I gained about 20lbs after I quit and knew I needed to do something so I got me a pair of running shoes and got out of the door one day.. now I can't believe I waited so long!

Congrats to you and your hubby!!! I have a question: what is your opinion of why a person gains weight after quiting smoking? Is it slowed Metabolism, a person eats more, etc....just curious because I know a lot of people that won't quit because of the wieght gain issue.

Keep up the good work,

Tim

• kcarmike Rookie 150 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 18, 2007 8:16 AM (in response to jennicap05)

I FINALLY quit about May 15, 2007.  That is when we moved to our new location.  It was so much easier to quit when everything is new and fresh and your fellow smoking friends aren't around.  How did I do it?  I just stopped buying cigarettes.  We live on a very small AF base and if someone saw me buying smokes EVERYONE would know.  It also helped that my DH signed me up for the Disney marathon in January then told me later.  Can't train for a marathon when puffing away.  I do admit to wanting to smoke when I have a drink but I much prefer having a clear head in the morning.  Smoking always gave me a "hangover" of sorts.  Quitting for me was actually easy this time around. Would have been easy other times if I wasan't around my sister or othr friends who smoke.  BTW, DH is soooo anti-smoking and a marathoner.  It's amazing how we ever got along. 
    Kris

• jpittsKS Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 30, 2007
    4. Oct 18, 2007 9:44 AM (in response to jennicap05)

This is a great thread idea. I think ex smokers can feel intimidated by the running community, I know I did!
    I quit on March 3rd 2007.
    My husband quit chewing 3 months prior and I decided it was time so I went Cold Turkey and never looked back.
    The first 3 weeks were hard and sometimes when I have a drink I feel like I want one but I have been fairly surprised at the ease of the transition from being a sedentary chain smoker to an active runner. I completed the C25K in August and hubby and I ran our first 5K in September. Many poeple questioned why I chose running since I was am a former smoker but after I completed the 5K and didn't come in dead last, no one questions my commitment. I am now training for a 10K in April. Congrats to everyone who has quit and began running and to those who are still smoking and want to quit, it IS possible and it feels great!
    -Joelle

• bigchezmktg Rookie 109 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 18, 2007 11:06 AM (in response to jennicap05)

I quit smoking about 4 months ago but can't remember the exact date. I'd tried quitting so many times before that it didn't seem like this would be the one time that worked, so I didn't even keep track.

I think not making a big deal out of it also eased some of the pressure on me too. I smoked for 20 years (I'm 32 now so do the math), grew up in Japan where 99% of all Japanese men smoke and it was just a natural progression, even at such a young age.

I think the weight gain comes from the habit of putting something in your mouth so many times a day and then it's just gone. That, or not having the appetite suppression that smoking gave me.

By replacing my smoking with running (I finally called it quits on week 3 of C25K) I haven't gained weight and have run 3 5K races within the past 30 days. I feel stronger than ever, too.

I knew the real test would come when I faced something stressful. Unfortunately that test came last weekend when I found out my 35 year old friend was hospitalized for an aneurysm and given a 30% chance of recovery.

I'm so extremely proud to say that (first and foremost) he is defying all the odds and even the docs and nurses call him a 'miracle' because he's doing so well...and I haven't even been tempted to smoke, let alone craved one. I've replaced those needs with working out to release my tension and don't plan on ever going back.

Thanks, Jenn for starting this thread. I hope we can be positive influences on others wanting to take that first step!

Rachel in Atlanta

• Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Oct 18, 2007 11:32 AM (in response to jennicap05)

I quit smoking November 12, 1975 at 11:40 PM. Had smoked for 12+ yrs(quit 2x for 6 monthsto prove I could) then quit for 2 yrs and stupidly started back. Quit for good in 11/75. Replaced a negative addiction with the positive addiction of running. I have logged over 64,800 miles since I started keeping track back in April of 1976. I am greatful every daythat I quit and that I run. I am 64 and am running 50-60 miles a week--and probably love it more than ever. I know I appreciate it more. Nick

• christa0120 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 26, 2003
    7. Oct 18, 2007 11:49 AM (in response to jennicap05)

I am a habitual quitter myself. I go about 3 months without then start again...stress, boredom... who knows!
    I haven't had a cigarette since Monday and ran Tuesday and Wednesday. Runnign does seem to keep me away from them.
    Good luck to everyone!

• ohpennyroyal Rookie 60 posts since
    Sep 2, 2007
    8. Oct 18, 2007 11:57 AM (in response to jennicap05)

I haven't had a cigarette since the day after my twenty-first birthday, so I'm coming up on about two and a half years now.  I still have the occasional (like, a couple of year) clove while drinking although I haven't even thought of that since I started running so maybe that's over as well. 

I just... stopped buying cigarettes.  Stopped going to the bars for a while.  I got sick of all my clothes smelling like smoke.  I got tired of being a smoker.  I didn't want to spend the rest of my life doing it.  I've never been so happy with a decision in my life.

• mtnchk1 Pro 286 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Oct 18, 2007 11:58 AM (in response to jennicap05)

I think this is a wonderful idea!  Ex-smokers have different obstacles to 'ramping up' the running & w.o. training, etc....especially if it was at all long term! 

I quit for good Nov '06 ~ after my oral surgeon told me that he would refuse to finish my procedure if I was smoking anything at all!! (@ that time, I was only smoking 2-4/day ultra-lights as I was already working towards quiting - again!!) I got some patches & havent' bought any more. Had to make a focus of staying away from all of my 'triggers' - people, places & things that revolved around smoking....Took a few days even @ that low number. More mental than anything.

I came from a smoking household (upper middle income for all you that buy into the stats propoganda!) & in a generation that basically -(initially) advocated or at least approved of smoking....everything from the media to GNP encouraged/supported smoking (that's changed a little bit, now hasn't it!?!?)....My whole life has been interspersed periods of:   smoking regularly - up to a pack a day during times of stress &/or partying; social smoking only - only when drinking -or with other smokers, & 'bumming' smokes from the smokers; quit, am quitting, gearing up to quit, awww screw it! give me the dammed cigarette!!!.......you know! Addiction!! @ the same time, I've always been intermittent active (some of my friends think that I'm pretty intensely active, but I beg to differ!  )  Back in the day.....H.S....I was in XC, etc....& as a self-absorbed, know everything teenager, I didn't take it all that seriously...never really worked it, etc. sooo, when in a moment of stupidity, I injured my knees.... (I have absolutely NO scars that are NOT a direct result of my own stupidity!  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!)... & my PT at the time told me I was "done running."  weeelllll, needless to say, it didn't matter that much to me! Then!.......
    So.... I quit in Nov. & promptly put on 18lbs through the Holidays......my weight was already up 25lbs before that!! {{{{{{my inner voice}}}}}} PUT THE FORK DOWN!!!
    I started counting calories & I took up power walking....relatively speaking..... one day, (about March 07) when I was mad, upset, irritated, etc. I broke into a "shuffle-jog" of sorts (not supposed to be able to do that!) made it about 50 feet before I was completely outta breath!!  OMG!!!  THIS CANNOT BE!?!? dammed cigarettes!!! ***grumble, grumble, grumble*** (we won't go into the rest of that conversation w/me!)  I walked my HR down, & did it again! I continued this sort of 'interval' for a couple of miles!! HMMMM!!! i might can do this...I think I HAVE to do this!!!  Went back out the next day with the same intent ~ & again & again ~ building my mileage walk/run interval...... I have no idea when exactly I first ran (very slowly) the first mile all together - but at that time, I thought it was an awfully long ways! lol!  yeah, I did the "Rocky Dance" the first time I ran 3.1 w/o walking!!  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0! & 6.2.... THEN I found CR & the C25K program!  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|border=0!
    ~~~ fast fwd 7 mos.....11 mos. smoke free! & sticking!!. I've lost 40lbs. I currently run about 30 miles per/wk. w/8 being my longest to date (unless you count run/walk combos, which would be 13.8) trying to work through a 10K training program (I'm still very slow for a race I think!) Oh yeah, I had some down time in the middle of the summer for oral surgery (dental implants) & complications which, is healing nicely - probably largely due to me now being a non-smoker! (Doc told me that smoking reduced my chances of success by about 80%!) but it took a bite out of my running for a bit....
    It's been a challenging road to better cardio/pulmonary health. I'm sure it's taken me much longer than a non-smoker would have. Sometimes, my self-talk is about patience & persistence w/myself.....sometimes I still have a bit of a dry cough...but, the more I run, the more I KNOW I can never smoke again! & I'm okay with that. yeah, I still have moments when I think about smoking.....it passes....& gets less frequent as time goes by. & Running has moved beyond just excercising to lose weight & clean out my lungs!!! I guess if you're going to 'switch addictions,' this is a good way to go! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

----

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

• BrentM Rookie 45 posts since
    Sep 18, 2007
    10. Oct 18, 2007 12:01 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Nice thread Jen.

I'm on day 29. I'm taking Zyban to help with the cravings.

I am 36 and I started chewing 20 years ago. I quit chewing 4 years ago, and took up smoking 6 months after. Stupid, I know, but I obviously have an addictive personality.

Running has hopefully taken the place of the bad habits I used to have.

It's still hard for me everyday, but so far so good.  Hopefully one day I won't have a craving, then that will turn into two days and then three.

• Currently Being Moderated
    11. Oct 18, 2007 12:33 PM (in response to jennicap05)

I quit smoking Jan 1 ( I Beleive ) 2003, I was so proud of myself, The first goal I ever set and made it, I was completly smoke free till this spring, U all know the "I feel off the wagon reasons,"
    I gained 40lbs when I guit in 2003, this spring I set out to walk off some of these lbs. lost 20
    on and off smoking, that would bringg me down I couldnt walk as well smoking Well Duhhhh, I have been smoke free this time the longest and don't really know how long it has been, I tied into those calvers cheese burgers and bud lite, back came 10 of the 20 I lost, looking for some way to comfort the stress. finialy I Joined weight watchers to control my eating, ( No Burgers in 2 !/2 weeks) lost 5 lbs walking two miles a day and counting points. sat I started to run during my walk, I was a track runner and swimmer in middle school and have a daughter who runs for a big ten school as there #1 Runner, so I figured if I did it before and she is so good at it then I could do it starting at 41, I found this website and so far love it, and the ex-smoker forum is awsome. I didn't run walk today i am guilty and have done no stretching, I am going to be making some big life changeing and very stressful things in my life so I thought what better thing to do then to get into running with a goal of a road race in the spring,running walking clears my head of the day before stresses, in hopes that tommrow will not be so. please anyone with advise all is so welcome,
    Thanks I am sure u will all hear much from me, I will start this program tommrow, YEAAAAAAAAAAA Can't wait !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

It is None of my business what u think of me!

• RacingThoughts Rookie 108 posts since
    Aug 23, 2006
    12. Oct 18, 2007 12:50 PM (in response to jennicap05)

When did you quit?

Hmm... hard to say. Wish I remembered the exact date. It was probably 3-4 years ago. I had been smoking for about 12 years on and off.

How did you quit?

It took me literally around 20 tries to actually quit. I had to cut back on drinking, going out to bars, even had stop hanging around some of those bad influences for a while. I was tired of the way smoking made me feel (sick) and quit cold turkey.

How are things going?

Very good. I feel better than ever right now. I never thought I would be able to run because my lungs were in such bad shape. Now I don't even feel like I've ever smoked. I've been running (full-time, not on and off) since May of this year. I'm almost up to 20 miles a week and ran a 5K PR of 23:17 this past weekend.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

• bluelake Rookie 66 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    13. Oct 18, 2007 4:58 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Nice thread.  I quit after fifteen years of smoking on October 2, 1995.  I did it cold turkey.  I found the biggest obstacle was the psychological addiction.  When I smoked, I would think "I can't imagine never having another cigarette for the rest of my life."  I watched a video by the American Heart Association that interviewed ex-smokers.  I realized that if they could do it, I could too.  I adopted the AA mentality:  Take it one day (sometimes one minute) at a time; don't take that first puff.  I wrote down all the reasons I wanted to quit.  Every time I had the urge to smoke, I would take it out and read it.  It worked for me.  I admire anyone who quits the nasty habit.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

bluelake "It's not easy, but it's worth it"See[/URL" target="_blank"> My Profile! [URL]

• LeahLulu Rookie 21 posts since
    Aug 30, 2007
    14. Oct 18, 2007 8:02 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Thanks for starting this thread! I quit smoking on July 22, 2007, which means that my 3rd month anniversary is coming up next week. I started smoking regularly at around 15 and am now 33. I have smoked about a pack a day for years and years. The insidious thing about smoking is that the physical effects don't kick in until you are really hooked. I have always been an athlete and have wanted to quit for ever. I used to joke that I quit smoking every Monday. I tried the patch and would just rip it off and smoke a butt after a while. For a variety of reasons (I decided that 2007 is "my year") I decided that this summer would be it. I tried cold turkey in June, which didn't work. Then I tried the patch, which didn't work. Finally, someone recommended Chantix, which ended up doing the trick. I started running regularly in May or so, with the idea that, if I fell off the wagon, I would be able to feel the results in my running. This actually worked too. I also thought that I would be able to lose some weight at the same time. This did NOT work. I haven't gained any weight but did not lose the 20 pounds I thought I would by running 4-5 times a week and giving up my nightly wine. My eating habits haven't changed at all. Now, I understand the reasons for this: I think I have gained muscle weight and also understand that my metabolism has slowed down. I feel awesome now -- I sleep better and breathe better and I know I smell better! But I am wondering if anyone out there has any advice about losing weight? It's funny (and maybe a girl thing) but, while I should be patting myself on the back for quitting smoking and completing my first 5K, all I can think is "man, I have a fat ***!"

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...