Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6998 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 3:25 AM by kcarmike Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • kcarmike Rookie 150 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 9, 2007 10:27 AM (in response to jennicap05)
    Re: Ex-Smokers Support

Welcome Rodog and Patricia!  I am glad you found us!  Patricia, don't worry about offending anyone.  You smoker friends will probably look to you one day for advise on how you've kept it up for over a year (yes, that will happen one day!).  And the nonsmokers are probably just glad to hear you won't be polluting their air!  Tell whomever you want.  It helps keep you accountable. 
    Rodog~Great story. Sometimes what seems awful turns out to be the best thing for us. We just don't know till later.
    Keep an eye out for ExSmoker Support Nov 11-17 thread. Should be starting Sunday. You'll meet lots of people there and have more support than you could have ever imagined.

Kris 

• Currently Being Moderated
    61. Nov 12, 2007 4:58 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Well guys,
    What a strange day!! I was out bright and early this morning and did a new personal best of 1.7 miles in 18 mins without collapsing...proud moment for me...but then it all went horribly wrong....got two lots of bad news today and low and behold bought the cigs and had 3....I feel terrible ...mentally!! Hope ye are havng a more successful day, really I do.

back to the start tmoro after all that but I will do it I promise!!! By the way can anybody tell me where my old replies may have disappeared to off the forum...Kris's words of encouragment help me but I can't seem to locate them..

62. Nov 12, 2007 4:59 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Scrap that question....I see my replies now....reflection of my day!!

• sully702 Amateur 124 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    63. Nov 12, 2007 5:18 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Hang in there and don't beat yourself up.   Focus on the positive.  You had a nice run today.  Keep it up!  You can do it. 

Old habits die hard but your doing taking some positive steps.

64. Nov 12, 2007 5:19 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Well I quit January 31st of 2007

I quit because My son had his 2nd birthday and I didn't want him to know what I was doing. I didn't want him to grow up thinking it was ok or cool to do it.

I quit cold turkey. I am in the Navy on a submarine and was getting ready to go underway and had been thinking on and off about quiting. Well I decided I wasn't going to bring and cigarettes with me. The day we left I had 4 cigarettes on me and was on my way to finish off my pack when I realized that it was now or never not when I finished these lase 4 so I threw them away and never looked back.

I started to gain weight at a rapid pace by putting on 10 lbs in 2 weeks and that is when I started running.

The best part is that my wife was so happy for me...She had been trying to get me to quit for almost 10 years. I now try and run every day for a minimum of 3 miles. Well thats me story and I can't wait to hear more of yours.

Dec 14, 2007
    65. Nov 13, 2007 10:35 AM (in response to jennicap05)

Patricia~Thanks for the kind words!  I am glad I've been able to help.  So you smoked 3 cigarettes.  So?  It wasn't 3 packs!  Everyone has bad days.  Bad news can set anyone off.  What matters is you had your smokes, got through the day, started a new day and stopped smoking.  Throw the pack away.  Soak the left over cigarettes in toilet water then toss 'em.  I can't tell you how many times "something" happened in life and I went back to smoking for comfort.  One day I realized that the comfort made me smell bad and my lungs scream and my head hurt (smoking gave me headaches).  So pick yourself up, dust off and get on with the day. 
    Did that help?

Kris 

66. Nov 13, 2007 9:27 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Patricia,
             Quitting smoking is a hard thing to do. I know I have done it. The hardest thing about quiting is staying a quitter. When R/L hits it hits hard and it is up to you to push through those hard times. You took the first step to be a non smoker that means you have the will and determination. Don't let this lapse bring you down. Now it is up to you to pick yourself up and keep moving. Keep up the good work.

67. Dec 4, 2007 5:52 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Greetings fellow quitters and new running recruits.... Just thought I would report that I just did my first 5k last sunday 2nd Dec in a time of 31 mins 27 secs.....I'm proud of me!!
    I have also just signed up for another 5k on the 30th December to motivate me to stay off cigs over xmas period as I know I will find it hard....But go for it guys it's a great feeling....yippeee!

Dec 14, 2007
    68. Dec 5, 2007 3:25 AM (in response to jennicap05)

Congratulations Patricia!!  You would be me by quite a bit!  By almost a mile!!!  Keep it going.  Aren't you glad you quit?  It would definitely be much more difficult to get that time with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth.  Enjoy the holidays!!

----

Kris :)
    I run like a girl!

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...